Craig's List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig's List?

A friend of mine has a petsitting biz and said she had gotten a lot of business through Craig's List. I had never thought of advertising on there, but decided to give it a try. I typed up a professional sounding description, put up two pix, one of the van and one of the inside of the van and put it on this morning.
    Got home tonight to find that my posting has been 'flagged' for removal! OK...is it one of the other mobile groomers on there who flagged it or did I do something wrong? I don't know much about Craig's list and honestly hadn't even thought of using them as a source of advertising, but now I'm kinda miffed. I don't want to just go and flag the other mobile groomers on there if I don't know that they are not the ones who flagged me....or if it's even my fault for posting the wrong way somehow....but it's got my hackles up!!!! Any advice????

Was it actually removed or did you just get an email saying that it had been flagged. You need to advertise in the Service section. If it wasn't removed I wouldn't worry about it, probably just a spam email. The bad thing about Craig's List is you get a lot of garbage emails saying your being flagged to people wanting to help you with their latest scam. After a few weeks you just start pushing delete, delete, delete. I just started grooming in November and have used Craig's list. I do get customers from it, but I also get a lot from google and now word of mouth which is the best

Comment

I did it a bit

in the beginning. It helped some but not with the kind of clients I want. It's been brought up here before and it depends a whole lot on the area you are. Some did well with it, some got trash only. A business is supposed to be put in the services area, but will be noted more in the Pets area. A local grooming school/mobile has an ad often in ours. I did not get flagged. It's possible any righteous inflexible person could have flagged it not having anything to do with grooming even. Don't assume. You could try it a couple of times more or put it in the services. You also might try not having such a professional ad, but refer to a professional web site.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Make sure you are posting in the services section and not the community section. Many CL have a pet services part in the services section now. Many times if you post in the Pets community section it will get flagged and removed. That happened to me in the beginning, even though other grooming salons were posting just fine there.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Want to be associated with the $10 groomer crowd and get customers who want the world at the cheapest price possible? By all means advertise on Craigslist.

Want to operate a quality establishment where customers won't attempt to negotiate your price down, where people won't think you use Tide to wash a pet, or think you must be an idiot because ANYONE can cut a dog's hair? Then by all means avoid Craigslist like the plague.

People judge others by the company they keep. If you're in the bargain basement, people will expect bargain basement prices. SPEND the money for advertising that targets the customer base you want to attract. Don't try to save a few bucks with a free Craigslist ad.
          "With God's help, all things are possible!"
          Laura Lee Ray
          I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Wow kats melody why so negative. Some of the customers I've gotten from craigs list are some of the best. I have a link to my website that states my prices. They see my work and call and say they like what they see and would like to book an appointment. It is free so why not use it if you need it. We all have to start somewhere. I'm really glad I've used craigs list. I use the blueberry facial on all the dogs and the best shampoos you can get. I have all the best equipment and do not take short cuts and most of my customers are now from referrals. I'm not ashamed to say I'm with the craigs list crowd and I would recommend anyone to try it. Even the shops that advertise elsewhere get bargain shoppers which is evident by some of the posts on this forum. You weed them out when they call. JMO

Comment

I had a sort of negative view of Craig's List myself, however, the experience of others here on the board and of my friend who is the pet sitter is quite the opposite. She has gotten calls from very well to do clients and has done well with advertising there....the only reason I thought I would give it a try. I've been in this business long enough that I don't bargain. My accomplishments and the service I offer are top of the line and speak for themselves...but thanks for your concern Kat. I'm just an old dog trying to learn about the new cyber advertising opportunities out there, many of which (like Twitter) still seem foreign to me! I'll try and repost in the services section this time (thanks MyLady!) and see how it goes!!

Comment

Craigs list readers suck. Period.

I do not advertise on there, but do try to sell stuff once and a while. I recently posted a few used grooming tables for sale and it was flagged down within an hour. I posted an add looking for a used shed last week and it was flagged down. There are too many bored people sitting around flagging everything on that site for no reason.

Comment

You know what you do when you assume! LOL
                  CL really varies from area to area. In my area the people that have called me from CL have been fabulous, regular clients that have never tried to haggle price and tip VERY well. The first client I ever got off of CL was from the most affluent neighborhood I serve, tipped me $40 each visit and told all her friends in the neighborhood about me so now I have several clients in that area. Did one last night in fact.
                  I have never seen any $10 groomers posted in my area CL(or equally absurdly priced), though I have read ads other groomers have found and posted. You can't paint every area with the same brush, just like some groomers find the yellow pages to be a great way to advertise, some have found it was a waste of money.
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarcreations<3westies View Post
                    Wow kats melody why so negative. Some of the customers I've gotten from craigs list are some of the best. ... of the posts on this forum. You weed them out when they call. JMO
                    I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm not the only one with the opinion I have. When I first started the business nearly three years ago, I tried Craigslist. ALL of the calls I got were from the crowd that wanted to spend as little as necessary, who insisted on multiple pet discounts, some even cursed me on the phone because I was charging "outrageous" fees. I found there was too much drama dealing with the people who frequent Craigslist, the people who are in the income bracket that can afford the fees I charge for mobile grooming don't look on Craigslist. The groomers in this area who DO list on Craigslist are similar to the one in another thread who charge $10 for a bath and full groom. Many are people with little or no training, who don't use the proper shampoo products, and who work out of places like their barn or a utility shed. When you've got nearly $50K tied up in equipment and supplies, you can't compete with people who don't have that kind of investment to PROPERLY groom pets safely. My husband won't leave the driveway for less than our break-even point, he drives the van and knows what I need to make a profit. $10 won't even pay for the fuel and wear and tear on the generator.

Might Craigslist work for some groomers? It would depend on the area. In my area, and in areas near me, it's the bargain basement types who lack the training and equipment who post on the list advertising their "services". In your area, your mileage may vary. Our advertising is targeted to those who have the financial means to pay for mobile grooming, and the money we spend for that advertising provides a positive return on investment that we can measure.

I'm happy for those who have found success using Craigslist. Most of my customers wouldn't be caught looking there.
                    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                    Laura Lee Ray
                    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

I now realize that it is going to be a different experience depending on the area. Where I live it has worked for me. I haven't gotten the bargain hunters. If I were getting the kind of calls Kats did, I would not use it either.

Comment

Flagging

You have to get "X" amount of flags by DIFFERENT people in order to be removed. I don't know what the magic number is. I'm pretty sure you can go in a see who flagged you. I post in the pets section as do other groomers and fortunately have never been flagged. If you post in more than one area you can be flagged for "spam"/overposting. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with craigslist.

Comment

Working...
                        X