Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pay employees and keep them (good Idea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pay employees and keep them (good Idea)

I have paid percent in the past and seem to lose my butt. Overhead cost just keep going up.
    I went to pay by the hour. But some groomers can do only 4 to 6 in a day and some can do 10 (with bather)
    You would think I could pay more per hour for the faster on but what is the slow one is really a better groomer?
    With out a program, comission is ALOT of paper work and time spent on figures.
    So I thought of this and I feel it could work great for both the shop owner as well as the employee.
    Pay a set fee (as in:0 $10.00 per hour) and then all a % (as in: 5 percent /10%/ up to 20%)
    The shop can still then provide nicely and I can offer sm. bonuses for really good work.
    Any comments othere??

Do you have "From Problems To Profits"? If not, it is well worth the money. It really goes in depth into paying groomers by the hour and how to figure out how much that hourly rate should be. IMO, commision pay is rough on both groomer and owner.

Comment

Hmmm...

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
      Do you have "From Problems To Profits"? If not, it is well worth the money. It really goes in depth into paying groomers by the hour and how to figure out how much that hourly rate should be. IMO, commision pay is rough on both groomer and owner.
      Where would one obtain this? Is that the full name of the book? I face a lot of problems with hiring/pay as well.

Comment

I was paid hourly plus commission and loved it. I made, at the time, $7 an hour plus 30% commission. The hourly covered the time I would spend cleaning, waiting for clients to pick up, doing paperwork at the end of day like counting down the drawer. It was great. I pay my own groomer a straight commission since I'm mobile. I think in a mobile it can be hard to pay hourly, since you don't know, did they stop for lunch somewhere etc. Of course, with her I would trust her to be honest with me, I'm just talking in general.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Problems to profits is expensive but you can request it through your local library. But owning it is well worth the money. There are lots of workbook style pages you can take out and make copies of. The book actually encourages you to do it. You can order is from many different sites or check amazon and ebay.

Comment

I was going to do that, but i sold my shop instead. I liked the idea.

Comment

what we do.

We pay commission. we have tried over the years paying hourly and noticed everyone groomed reallllllly slow. then we tried booth rental a set fee each week and noticed everyone groomed reallllllly fast. so commision just works for us. we pay 50-60 percent depending on who comes in grooms and bolts and who sticks around to open and close and help out.

Comment

I've

been paid both ways. When I was paid hourly I made a fair wage $14/hr with a bather/dryer but I was a really fast groomer and could turn out a lot of dogs--usually did 10-15/day. I made the owner a lot of money. There were other groomers there that only made a few dollars less than me but were much slower and put out a lesser quality end product. It's just about work ethic and what the owner is willing to "settle" for. Mine was ok with mediocracy--so I left!

I'm on commission now and love it. I work much less than I did in the past but make way more money. I'm paid an unusually high rate of 70% but again I can do quite a few dogs in a day and make some decent money for the owner. I much prefer commission!

Comment

I used to work for my best friend, and she paid me salary plus commission, and I managed her shop. I made $125/day plus 30% commision on sales over $1100. So if I totalled up the week and I did $1500 for the week I would get my $625 salary plus $140 (35% of 400) as my "bonus". This worked out GREAT for both of us I think. It was very rare that I didn't make it to "bonusland" but I had a salary that I could depend on if there was a lull in business, and she knew I wasn't gonna look for greener pastures either because I still had a decent salary. I really felt like we were a team working together for the success of the shop.

Comment

Working...
                  X