Strange pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange pricing

I work for a salon. I hate the pricing system they have. I actually figured it out the other day though. They charge more than they should for the little guys (yorkies, maltese) so they can charge less then they should for standard poodle, cocker. Cockers are only $6 more than a yorkie, the standard is $18 more than the yorkie how freakin stupid is that? A yorkie takes me 45 minutes, even if in full coat (read more combing, less cutting here), a cocker, even a shave down is at least 1.5 hours, if in any kind of decent coat, even if only an inch long we are talking closer to 2+ hours. A standard poodle is about a 3 hour proposition for me. I am not a slow groomer, I can do 6-7 dogs a day and I have to bathe them myself.
    My real point here is, does anyone else do their prices like that? Overcharge the little guys and undercharge the big guys? I don't see what kind of business sense that makes. Not that I mind doing larger dogs, but when I do them I don't want to lose $$ on them. In a 3 hour period I can groom 3 yorkies or 1 standard poodle. If I groom the sp, I make half the amount, for lets face it, lots more work. I just don't see the benefit? Is it to bring in more large dog customers? Cause even from a business standpoint, @ 50% commission they are getting 1/2 as much $$$ too. I'd rather groom the smaller guys and make more $$. Why not just charge each customer what their dog is worth. If people don't want to pay the $$ they should have gotten a different/smaller breed. If great danes required haircuts, I would have likely never gotten one before I was a groomer, likely still wouldn't get one, can you imagine the amount of work that would be?!?!?!?!?! :<>
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

That is rather odd. A cocker is definitely more work that a yorkie and usually runs about $15 or so more. And a standard poodle? More than double the price of a yorkie!! And if you are getting commission, that really sucks because you're really taking a loss!! You may want to do some research, and present your boss with some other options.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I don't think they would be listening to 1 little groomer. It just totally annoys me, because if I get a large dog, which is a lot, then I lose $$$ that day. I love grooming standard poodles, airedales, and have several requests of each, but lose $$$ when I groom them. I just need to hang on in this place for about another year, then we will be financially ready to open my own salon. I all the time think of pricing for my business, and just wondered if anyone else priced that way, or if it was a jacked up as I thought.
      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
      -Michelangelo

Comment

The place I work has prices all over the place-special people get discounts evidently.I dont like it but I have no control over it .In fact I had a lady call me yesterday complaining her husband dropped her dogs off a shihtzu and a 45 pound terrier mix they had been charge in the past the same price 35.00 each , well the husband asked for the anals to be done on the shihtzu and I just charged her 5 more for that. the terrier mix I charged 40 for because the groomer we have now said thats what she will be charging that dog.they were here in september the last time so 4 months of growth mind you on the both of them.I got a 15 minute call from the mom when she got home I tried soo hard to explain to the woman A 45 pound dog just wont be the same price of a 10 pound dog unless there was a mistake the last time they were there in which case I apologize for.Then she wanted to talk to the owner who wasnt here at the time I told her Id have him call her so I dont know what happened but I do know when I talked to him ,he agreed with me.I just hope she didnt run him over like she tried to do me.

Comment

Working...
        X