How you price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you price?

Do you price every breed separately? Or do you clump several breeds or sizes together? I'm writing my price list for my own reference and I was wondering how much detail I should go into.
    On the sites I've seen, I've seen it both ways. (each breed seperately vs. small med. large). If you do sm/med/lrg, how do you define a breed as such?

Also, should I list prices on my website if I go mobile? Or would that just turn prospects away?

you can do it by weight or by length at the shoulders.
    also do separate prices for long or short coat ,undercoat etc

Comment

be sure to include a range, for example: small or extra large for the breed...like 100 lb labradors!

Comment

i never list prices on my website. i charge by the hour with minimum charges. if you do list prices, make sure it is preceded by the words starting at.....
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

We usually price by size unless the haircut is very time consuming. Small dogs under 25 lb $xx.xx, hand scissored full coat bichons and cockers $xx.xx. Really big dogs like OES and st. bernards are quoted extra high on the phone and may come down in price once we actually do them just because you never know what you have to get into and they are usually once a year strips.

Comment

Originally posted by RevWind View Post
            Do you price every breed separately? Or do you clump several breeds or sizes together? I'm writing my price list for my own reference and I was wondering how much detail I should go into.
            On the sites I've seen, I've seen it both ways. (each breed seperately vs. small med. large). If you do sm/med/lrg, how do you define a breed as such?

Also, should I list prices on my website if I go mobile? Or would that just turn prospects away?
            I think I'd price each breed separately. I would also make sure that when you put together a price list you put in popular mixed dogs such as cocker-poos and labradoodles, golden doodles. Just so people with that 90lb poodle mix wonder why you won't give them the lab price. Also for breeds such as a golden put in a Light coated Golden, heavy coated golden. You wouldn't want to do the big hairies for the same price as a golden who doesn't have much hair. I think someone already mentioned to put prices "starting at". Or, above prices are for 4 or 6 week schedules that are prebooked. Make sure you really push how matted pets will take longer therefore the price will be higher. Add in a hourly dematt fee on your price page with maybe a min. charge? I think listing prices on a website will help prevent customers calling and wasting your time price shopping(and other groomers calling with their 18 different dogs trying to figure out your pricing). Like as a voice mail message put in "visit our webite at blahblah.com for more information or leave us a message and we will soon return your call" And make sure to mention you will charge a fee for those who cancel before a certain time frame.

Comment

I price by breed. And when I talk to new customers, or quote prices, I start by telling them everything that is included in the price. Then I tell them, my "base price" is $XX for a specific brred. Matting, size, coat and temperment can and will increase that price. I always give people a final price when they drop the dog off. If, during the groom, I realize I have under quoted (which happens on the odd occassion) I'll tell them when they pick up the dog. I still charge the price I gave them when they dropped off the dog, but let them know in the future what the price will be.

Comment

I price everything hourly plus service call fee for mobile. This way it doesn't matter if something is: big, thick, shedding, matted, full handscissor, wiggly, naughty, soft-coated and takes longer to make smooth, handstrip, needs specialty shamoo, extra dirty, etc. Gee what else can slow you down. There is no way I'm working for free and the best way to do that is to charge for every minute you are grooming(and cleaning). I tell owners over the phone the rate for the hourly charge and service fee and an approximate time it will take me to groom their dog based on their estimation of size, coat density and condition and trim style. They all know going into it that I may not finish in an hour. For some breeds like OES, porties, S pdls and the like, I always schedule a free consultation so I can go out and look at the dog so I know what kind of time slot I will need. It is more for me, but the prospective clients like the fact that I "go the extra mile" for them.

Comment

You can look at my prices on my website but I do have a conditional clause that says prices are based on pets in reasonable condition.
                  Then I have my trip fee prices according to area.

Comment

How to price

I price by size a base and then hourly for stuff like dematting etc. Anything over 50 lbs is by the pound...cause my back appretiates it more...

Debby

Comment

i dunno...last place i worked priced per breed...but you got the 40 lb labs coming in for their 20 dollar bath and then you'd get the 90 or over 90 plus pound labs coming in for the same 20 dollar bath. basically...id price per hour...this way you KNOW what your going to be making...ie if you charge 40 dollars an hour (or 20 dollars per half hr) you at least know your going to be making 40 dollars on a lab bath. now if the people have a problem with it then thats their problem in my opionin. from what ive seen (and heard) priceing by the hour might really be the easiest way to go. so many people say oh i have a lab and it turns out to be a huge gigantic monster dog!(say you think your average sized lab is about 60 lbs...and you get a 100 plus pound monster to fight with and your only charging say...25 dollars for a bath on a lab) or you get the people who you ask well how much does your dog weigh? oh about 40 lbs...okay then it will be say...35 dollars for all dogs from the 20 to 40 lb range). okay...they come in...and the dog is 60 lbs! and say you charge 45 dollars for all dogs from the 40 to 80 lb range and they dont want to pay that extra 10 dollars to get the dog groomed? this way...if you say i charge xx amount PER HOUR and i can give you an estimate on HOW LONG your dog should take to bathe and dry and groom (say about ...an hr and a half) okay...your charge is 75 dollars. now if they dont like it...thats what self serves are for! DIY!!!
                      JMO
                      Hound

Comment

Check out my website www.fauxpawsgrooming.com

I price both ways. In my salon we do by breed and service. For Mobile we go by time.

Comment

Quite a few people go by hour, but I'm concerned about my speed and perfection issue. I do ALOT of scissor work where I am now and most base grooms (bichon, shih, schnauzer) take about an hour and a half or even more.
                          But then if you charge by hour, is it a flat $65 per hour or do you do something like $65 for the first hour (or hour and a half in my case), then another $40 per hour beyond?
                          I'm sure things will settle well once I've found a groove, but it's that initial decision on how to price everything. I never have to do it. My boss makes most of the pricing decisions, and even if I do, it's "well, what were they charged last time?"
                          I hate asking people for money or deciding what they owe me for my time for whatever it is I've done for them. a big sign that flashes*guilt guilt guilt* reads over my mind.

Comment

Don't feel guilty for charging(easier said than done I know). I have only worked in a priced by breed structure but similar breed ended up having similar prices lhasa/shihtzu maltese/yorkies. The difficulty with such a scheme is you have 6lb yorkie and 16lb yorkies. If you want to have a set price you can say its by breed or group several breeds that take you equlivant amounts of time and effort to do. But have them be price Brackets that are large enough to accomidate the extreams. So say all yorkie "size,type,effort" dog are $30-$45 so the easy small ones are 30 and the huge one for the same cut could be 45 so you do sell you self short for the odd ball sized ones. Of course the bigger they get the Bigger the bracket. This probably sounds as clear a mud.

Maybe if you think of some common breed you groom at what $$ do you feel you are getting riped off if you groom them for and then what $$ you feel you are ripping off your client if you charge it can give you a ball park idea what you will feel comfertable charging. If you do that for breeds you do often then you can expand to others with the idea the takes me about the same/little more/or less time than so I'll set the price up/down from that reference. Again clear as mud

Hope this can give you some direction so you are happy with what you make.

Comment

For what it's worth

At first, I didn't want to put prices on my website because of the many variables that we deal with and most people just don't and many advise against it. However, after a few months, I changed my mind. I'm finding that I'm not getting as many "how much does it cost" calls. By the time they call me, if they've visited the site, they are probably willing to pay. (I'm mobile)

I also had decided at first to charge hourly. However, I was never really comfortable with that since I'm a newbie in this world and it frequently takes me longer than it would a more experienced groomer and I do a lot of scissoring which takes me longer. I ultimately decided to list by size on my website stating that the amount listed is the starting price for that size and it may be more if blah, blah, blah... This has really simplified things for me on the customer side and. On average, I'm making the same as I would be if I charged straight hourly.

When you read this, keep in mind that I'm only 4 months in, here! So I don't know much, just what's working for me so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X