Pricing per pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing per pound

I tried to reply to a thread about where a lot of you said you had never heard of pricing per pound. But for some reason couldn't post it.
    As far as pricing per pound. That's exactly what I do.
    Here's a section of my price list:

Mini-Groom Full Groom
    Small Dog (50 lbs or less) $XX-$XX $XX-$XX
    Large Dog (51-90 lbs) $XX-$XX $XX-$XX
    Ex-Large Dog (91+ lbs) $XX-$XX $XX-$XXX

On the Mini Groom-BBNE The first price is for short haired breeds, the second is for the long haired breeds. On the Full Grooms-BBNE and HC, I have a low end price for the easy dogs to groom, and a high end price for the harder styles. AT the bottom I have;
    Note: Additional charges may apply at the groomer’s discretion if your pet requires extra time because of behavioral issues or because of extreme matting.

This way my clients have an idea of what the price will be. I don't see anything wrong with doing it this way, am I wrong?????

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you're doing your pricing. You have mimimum charges, though, for each category. I think in those other threads people were talking about those customers that thought it should be $1 per pound. (Someone mentioned $8 for an 8 lb poodle, which is ridiculous). I think alot of people price as you do.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

i wouldn't call this charging by the pound. you charge by 'size', your weight ranges specify the dog size as:small, medium and large. i think charging a literal dollar amount per pound IS ridiculous! You would be better off charging by the hour, IMO, to keep it fair across the board. I think your structure is very clear and fair.

Comment

If your pricing structure works for you, and you're being fairly compensated for the work you do, there's nothing wrong with it.

But I have a question. Do you charge the same for the same groom on, say, a 15 pound poodle as you would for a 40 pound poodle? I wouldn't.

Comment

Helly, I believe there was range for the full grooms. I don't know what her range IS, but it seems it would still work as the larger poodle would get the higher fee. With her note at the end, a coat that is that much more work would probably incur a higher fee anyhow...but I agree, the timing difference is significant!

Comment

Yes, there's a range for full grooms also. The toy poodle and the mini poodle are in different range. per pound. Thanks guys I was worried I was going about this all wrong.

Comment

Pricing per pound would only work if you had a scale in your shop and can weigh the dog every appointment. Estimates will always be subject to negotiations and that's not good.
              I price like Kim with weight ranges and bath prices vs trim prices.
              Also I try really hard to stay consistent with my pricing because people do talk and everyone knows everyone.

Comment

I would like to break it down even further with base prices set for breed and weight, like:

shih tzus up to 16 lbs. $$$ to $$$
                shih tzus 16 to 21 $$$ to $$$
                shih tzus 22 to 31, $$$ to $$$ etc....

These 32 + pound shih tzus are killing me!! LOL This would make it so much easier for me to raise a price on a regular customer who's dog has gradually gotten too fat. It would be very simple to say ... "oh dear, I see Gordo has slipped into the next weight/price bracket!"

Comment

pricing by the pound...

I think I mentioned this on the old board. I price by the pound for everything
                  over 50 lbs and yes, this will include some old fat cockers. Nothing is priced under 35... and I work up from there... sorry you can xx my example if need be.

Debby

Comment

so do yall have a scale in your salon to weigh the dogs?

Comment

When they ask for prices, I ask how much the dog weighs. I have had people tell me their dog is a Pomterrier mix and then bring in something weighing 85 lbs... more like a chow mix! Asking the weight is easier than having them explain to me how big a dog is... cause my idea of lab size (bench show) can be different from the field lab....with real tall legs!

Debby

Comment

Working...
                      X