Adjusting prices for difficult client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting prices for difficult client

Ha ha. Kind of funny. I've moaned about this housecall client before. No shaving of mats allowed. Video camera in their home focused on grooming table, which is fine, but odd. Sent me to wrong address to groom their cats. Keep me waiting while assistant "goes out to grab coffee", and on and on. Cool cats though.
    I'd stupidly given them a heavily discounted fee, since they were going to do weekly visits and lived nearby. Well, weekly evaporated, now it is monthly at best, plus they moved much further away. So I brought the prices up to match other clients. Price shock! They can afford it, but had successfully manipulated me into underpricing. The wealthiest clients are often the most draining. They drain me!

That escalated fast!
    The terrible assistant (who I thought had been fired, but no, he's still there), texted me asking what the former prices were. I guess this is so they could get a sense of how much prices increased, but bro, if you don't even know the old prices, why do you even care?
    I texted him the old prices. And yes, without the stupid discounts I gave, they'd be paying a lot more.
    Then he asked how much time, on average, a visit lasts.
    Okay, no. Just no. Not doing this with a multi-millionaire household. They can pay what my other clients pay. This is not a market in Marrakesh.
    I texted him "I think you'd be happier with another groomer." Blocked him too.
    I really will miss the cats. So adorable, and I knew how to lovingly handle the fussy cat. Just hope the next victim, oops, I meant groomer, is also gentle.

Comment

I don't blame you. If you are not desperate for clients, this is just one to learn from. Avoid any kind of discounting is best other than maybe a senior discount.

Comment

The wealthiest clients can be difficult about prices, and often tips too.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeedoodlepoodle View Post
          The wealthiest clients can be difficult about prices, and often tips too.
          I will give them credit for tipping generously. But yes, agree that price sensitivity and wealth often don't match up.

Comment

I don't miss these clients at all. I do miss the cats. I thought I might regret this decision. All I regret is not cutting them off sooner.

Comment

Comment

Sounds like they are dramatic and work it. Money weirdness. But great they tipped well.

Comment

I think you made the right decision.

Comment

Good for you!
                    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Money can sure make some people odd to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                      X