No announcement yet.

Setting pricing for cat grooming. Risk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting pricing for cat grooming. Risk.

Something different about cat grooming is that the price is really about risk transfer, not about artistic ability. Transferring the risk of scratches, bites, or worst case, infection. Based on the number of cat groomers, apparently there is no price worth the risk to many groomers - or else they reasonably assume not many could afford to pay that price.
    Someone indignantly commented on my housecall claw trim pricing, which is really high in all honesty. I would never pay so much. But as far as I know, in this city of millions, I am the only one currently available for clawtrim housecalls. It could be that I am not very smart, since I am taking the risk that other groomers won't.
    Make sense, or am I missing something?

Are there other house all cat groomers in your city? They just don’t do “just toenails”?

I think you have a point on price vs risk.
    And I think your prices are fine. You charge what you need to charge and don’t apologize for it.
    I charge ‘plenty’ to hand scissor dogs. I wouldn’t pay for that either. That’s why I have smooth haired dogs. But if clients want the convenience of house call, or a long fluffy haircut, then these are the prices.

And, for what’s it’s worth. I don’t groom cats at my shop. Not because I’m scared, more because it’s loud and noisy with the dogs. I think cats deserve more respect then to suffer through a loud, dog filled environment.

Comment

Risk vs reward...never thought about it that way, but it makes absolute sense. I charge more for a groom on a dog that taste-tests me than the same groom on one who gives me kisses.
      My area is filled with folks like myself whose attitude is ” why pay someone else to do it if I can do it myself?” My husband is pretty comfortable dropping a tree, but when we needed to remove large branches hanging over our neighbor’s property, we called in and paid for a pro. Guy climbed the tree to limb it out. I couldn’t watch.

So if that indignant comment came from a client/potential client, you can always recommend they get a trimmer and do their cats’ nails themselves, or throw kitty in a carrier and schlep to the vet. Your value will quickly become apparent.

If it came from another groomer, whether cat groomer or not, it comes from a place of jealousy and ignorance. You of course do not need to defend yourself to other groomers.

Comment

Yes, there are other housecall pet groomers who only groom dogs. There are a few who groom cats, but I think they are not interested in visiting just for a claw trim.

I forgot about the noise factor. I bet there would be more salons accepting cats if it weren't for cat sensitivity to loud noise.

The comment was from an owner, but relayed to me by the person who is paid to board the cats at their home. I get the feeling that the person who is boarding the cats finds it offensive that I charge so much. He made comments about money to me before.

It's a shame because the boarder is elderly. His life would be easier if I visited. Also, the cats are staying with him for a year. One cat is old. So now there is likelihood the claws will grow into the pawpad. Oh well.

Comment

Risk is just one factor, especially for a mobile or home visit service - they are paying for the convenience especially. You should have a minimum price to visit since it includes your time and travel, and that means a simple service like just a nail trim may seem excessive (or disproportionate compared to a full service) to some. However, if people are paying your price and you have a comfortable level of clients that do so, then don't worry about the people who can't afford it. Didn't you recently post a video on trimming a cat's nails? Maybe send them that so that the person the elderly cat owner is already paying could do it.

Comment

Thanks Lyttleravyn. I like the idea of sending the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
              Something different about cat grooming is that the price is really about risk transfer, not about artistic ability. Transferring the risk of scratches, bites, or worst case, infection. Based on the number of cat groomers, apparently there is no price worth the risk to many groomers - or else they reasonably assume not many could afford to pay that price.
              Someone indignantly commented on my housecall claw trim pricing, which is really high in all honesty. I would never pay so much. But as far as I know, in this city of millions, I am the only one currently available for clawtrim housecalls. It could be that I am not very smart, since I am taking the risk that other groomers won't.
              Make sense, or am I missing something?
              I think you are right on.

Comment

Working...
              X