My poor old girl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My poor old girl.

It is so heartbreaking to watch your furbabies getting older and more feeble by the day. Harley, my lab, is almost 13 and has really been going downhill these past few months. She is taking Lasix daily for fluid around her heart and is on Pred for arthritis (she can't take other arthritis meds cause of liver). Her appetite has decreased which really has me worried as she is a typical lab and would eat her weight daily if I let her. Harley has always been an "old soul". She would be playful when she was younger, but their has always been something very soothing about her demeanor. It is hard to explain. Anyway she is now almost totally deaf and gets me up at least 2x during the night to let her out. She gets confused at times and tries to go out the wrong side of the door. I have heard this is a sign of senility. Anyway, I was just feeling a little down and needed to let it out to those of you who understand. Thanks for being there guys.
    Attached Files
    SheilaB from SC

Our older furbabies....

Oh Sheila, I feel for you. It is so sad to watch our dearest friends age and to see them not be able to do all the things they once could. I have a 12 year old sch/poo mix with a very bad heart. He is on 6 diff pills 2X a day, including an experimental drug out of Canada, but I am going to keep him as long as I can and he is still happy.

Your lab looks so sweet and comfy on the bed!
    Wish I could curl up with her for the day!

Have you tried glucosomine (sp) for the arthritis? I use it for my three legged dog and it is a miracle for him.

Staci in Vegas

Comment

I understand

Sheilab, I do understand what you mean. I agree it's so sad to watch - why do our precious babies age so fast? There was an email going around for a while that said dogs don't live as long as people because they already know how to love and don't need as long as people to learn life's meaning. I think there's truth in that, but it doesn't make it any easier. However long they live is not long enough.

Your baby looks so sweet! Give her a nice scratch or hug from me.

Comment

I know how you feel, Sheila! Everyday I look at my toy poodle, Trilby and I think God has it really been 13 years since I first picked you up?? And what will I do when you leave me??

They are only ours for such a short time, on loan really
        Tammy

Comment

I feel for you. I lost my lab about 5 years ago. She was 12 and she was the light of my life. I was so lost when she went, but she's happier now. She was in a lot of pain at the end. She too went downhill fast, or so it seemed. It seemed as if I work up one day and she was all gray. Your Harley looks so sweet and content sleeping on her bed. All you can do is love her and keep her comfortable for as long as you can. When her time comes you'll know and you'll do what's right for her because you love her.

Comment

Keep your chin up and try to remember all the young and playful years you have had together. We are all here for you if you want to keep us updated...
            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

try to locate pAAWS VITAMINS

There is a product by Paaws.. I spelled correctly. Vitamins that claim to turn back the clock . I even bought some...but too expensive for me for 2-now 3 dogs. Used to see comm. on pet channel. Maybe you can find it. Heard it works synergistacly..vet created. Talked to someone once..said they work . they clone beef now and sheep.. almost wish i"d cloned Pirate...my best,best special connection, Schn Halle is now best female I've had.

Comment

I'm grateful for all the many videos...even Pirates' last nite...my mom in it too.I videoed last dat took to park w Iv in leg. warm Oct day full moon that nite driving home alone to new boy Traveler, now 11..I didn't know Jax til Nov 19th. Pie gone Oct 6th. He nwill nalways be with me on video . I have my mom ..sittin on her bed says Hi jane.. How ya doin? Not so good Mama I miss you soooooo.Lots of videos of dogs w/ mother. Many,many photos.

Comment

I have been trying to take lots of picts as well. I wish I could get a pict of her smiling. She is a great grinner, but she is camera shy and is hard to get to smile for the camera...lol I am going to attach a pict. She is almost smiling in it.
                  Attached Files
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

She is absolutely adorable and it sounds like you are taking wonderful care of her in her old age. I know exactly how you feel, I will truly be lost when my little shih-tzu mix Oscar passes away. He's only 8 but I adopted him just 2 years ago...I wish I had him his whole life but I'm definitely making the most of the years I will have left with him. Just soak up the time you have with her and get all of these precious moments on camera so you will have many wonderful memories to look back on.

Comment

I totally feel your pain. My Missy was 16 years old when I finally had to have her put to rest. She was a golden retriever that lived a wonderful life and we humans have to realize that our furry children mature and grow faster than we do and we have to accept that. (i'm crying). You'll know, as I did, when it is time - your furry child will let you know. Don't try to prepare yourself - it won't work. Just deal with it on a daily basis - and allow yourself to feel.

Comment

OK I have tears running down my face. I have been through this with a dog and it broke my heart. It was my daughters and by the time he crossed over to Rainbow Bridge he was 18 pretty old for a shepard/rottie mix. I felt terrible for my daughter as she had had him since she was 9 and he lived with her. She called crying one day to tell us that she had to have him put to sleep. The poor kid was sobbing Give harley a hug.
                        "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                        Nancy

Comment

Harley is a handsome boy! It looks like your Cocker loves him too - such a sweet photo of the two of them together.
                          There's a poem I love titled "The Fourth Day" that talks about that day when the reality sinks in that our pets have grown older. I still remember when it happened with my Sheltie so I can relate to the sadness and fear you're feeling. I wish I knew what to say to help comfort your heart, but all I have to offer is understanding and (((HUGS))).
                          Sheri

Comment

Thanks for all the sweet replies you guys!! It is great to have a place to open your heart and you know others will understand!
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your baby I know how hard it is to say goodbye. Just take lots of pictures and spend as much time with your baby as you can. Just cuddle up with him on his bed and take a nap with him, he would love that and I am sure you would too. I will pray for him to stay healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X