No announcement yet.

Is it anxiety or a real health problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it anxiety or a real health problem?

I recently moved to Alabama with my two male Tzu. We now live with two English Cockers, one male and one female. My 4 year old Tzu was fine for the first few days and then he started wailing and moaning and chasing his butt area like something was biting him. No fleas. He never let out a peep his entire life unless someone was at the front door. His wailing went on constantly. I took him to the Vet and she gave me some drops to put in his water to calm him which did not work. He has a tiny cist on his back hip which the Vet took a sample and it is nothing to be concerned about. I took him back to the Vet and she put him on Prednisone. I only gave it to him for 5 days and he seems a little better but still a few times a day acts like something is biting him in his rear area. He was having fits if I got out of his sight and wanted to be on my lap every minute. He has gotten better about that. If the male EC gets too close to me or my fiance', he growls and runs him off. I think he is trying to let the EC know that HE is Alpha. When this happens my BF consoles the EC who is cowering in a corner. I've told him not to do this but he does anyway.
    Do you all think my Tzus' problem was the move since the Vet couldn't find anything wrong and he has improved somewhat in the last 3 days. How can I explain to my BF that THEY have to establish what dog is leader?
    Thanks for any help.
    Tzugroomer

Oh, the poor little guy. Stress overload. Not only did he move, but now he has 2 bigger dogs to contend with plus, I gather, the BF. His whole routine has been really shaken up. His rear thing could also be gas-that's what my mom's cocker would do. Finally figured out what it was.

Would be a good idea to take the dogs out walking together away from their home inviron, and let them get to know one another on neutral territory. You could also sit on the couch together-you hold one dog and the BF the other. Then switch the next night. May take a little time, but I'm sure they'll become buddies eventually. They'll figure out their pecking order too. Have fun with your new extended family.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Ah, sounds like a nice night of watching the Dog Whisperer. You need balance and you also need to become the pack leader. What is happening, is there is no balance in the house. The dogs are all confused. They need to know who their boss is.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If any of my dogs were having fits of wailing, moaning and tail chasing as you describe, I would be VERY concerned. IMO, no cyst is something not be concerned about, Prednisone is not something I will give to my pets without a REASON, and if I were you, I would be getting a second opinion right away! Remember that the skin is a body's largest organ and something wrong with it is generally a sign that something is wrong somewhere else, too. (No fleas? What about worms? Allergies to something in the new environment or built up from diet? ETC.)

From your description, at least one of your dogs is obviously stressed with the move, the new environment, the new dogs and some ailment. The fact that you and your BF are not handling the new pack order situation in the same way is no help. IMO, you AND your BF need to establish that you are on top of things, or your home will always be filled with chaos and tension.
        Last edited by pamperedpups; 01-13-07, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I hate to ask this, but how do you know he doesn't have fleas? Some dogs are very good at catching them and eating them, and you'll never see a flea on them. But they're still getting bitten. And odd as it may seem, I've seen situations where only one dog in the family is picking up fleas. In fact, I just groomed four small dogs from the same family, and the first three didn't have any fleas. Number four did, though.

Also, did the vet check his anal glands? How about X-rays of his spine? Did she do a rectal exam?

If your satisfied that there's nothing physical going on, I'd start by adopting a "Nothing in Life is Free" program. The quickest way to help him adjust to everything is to give him rules and insist he follow them. Be his leader. Don't let him on your lap until he's been invited. Invite the other dog up for pets and cuddles, but make him wait until he's been invited for the same. Don't let him sleep on your bed if he's been sleeping on your bed. Make him work for his food; he has to sit and wait until you say OK. If he's demanding attention, do NOT give it to him until you decide it's time. He's the dog. He doesn't get to call the shots.

Use positive correction. Put a collar and leash on him, and when he goes after the other dog, correct him with the leash. Make him work; sit/stays, down/stays are good. If he's being too clingy, use the leash and correct him. Put him on a down/stay and make him hold it. If he doesn't know sits and downs and stays, now is a good time to start teaching them.

Use positive reinforcement. When he behaves, tell him how good he is. Any behavior that is acceptable, mark it and reinforce it. Praise the dickens out of him.

You can also use negative reinforcement if the situation warrents it. If he's being possessive of you, a toy, his food, take the item away. If it's you he's being possessive of, remove him to another room or a crate for a few minutes. If you can't play nice, you can't play at all.

Consistency is the key, and you and the BF need to be on the same page. It's ok for dogs to sort out their pecking order, so long as the humans remember that they're the leaders. When you say knock it off, all dogs go to a neutral corner, so to speak. It's kind of like when Mom said "I don't care who started it. I'm finishing it. Both of you go to your room." Cuddling the dog that just got run off confuses the issue.

When he knows what's expected of him and what he can expect from you every time he does or doesn't follow the rules, he'll calm down and be a happy pup. But he has to know you're going to do the same thing every time his behavior is inappropriate. You have to be consistent.

Comment

I was wondering also if it could be his anals. Do you check anals? If you do, see if they need to be expressed, or take him back to the vet for a recheck (if they didn't already do this). It could be a combo of several things that are setting him off. You know how if you feel bad, like a headache or backache etc, and you get some other stresses going you can't handle it as well. Maybe this is what is happening w/your little guy. He has a small complaint (anals, flea, hotspot etc) that has been exaserbated by the stress of the move, new dogs and BF. BTW You and your BF need to sit down and have a little talk about disipline issues in your house. It won't do any good for mom to be the heavy when they know they can run to dad for huggs and kisses. My hubby will do this on occasion w/our 2 legged kids!! Talk about starting a marital battle.....lol... Hope everything works out for your little guy!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

What Helly said is good, if you want him to be a sub-ordinate. I've had this problem before since I have one dog, a rescue,,she's very protective, and I have taken some in to foster. But, It's clear she is the alpha of the new pack. I want her to know, even though we might have other dogs around shes still top dog w/me. She gets fed first, the other dogs second. She gets attention first when we get home, then the other dogs. I don't let any of them sleep on the bed, or they just don't want to. I kick. She gets to go thru the door first when we go out on walks. The other dogs go along w/it since she's older and the first one. But then it's kind of up to them (the dogs) to establish what order their in after that. If there was an arguement or altercation I would glance at the two that were "argueing", and walk away out of the room. Your husband is making it worse. It is probably confusing to the Tzu, why he is taken the other dogs side. It should only take two days to establish whos who,,,for them that is.

Comment

I just get an inner feeling that it is an anal gland problem. I think another vet is in order here. Get yourself a second opinion. Also, I agree that there is no order in your home. Establish rules and be ferm. Be consistant.
                Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

The Vet checked the anals, she even went inside and got a small amount of poo out, but not much. He doesn't have fleas, I am sure of that. He has the allergy to the flea saliva and I would know by his reaction to a bite.
                  I took him off the Prednisone. Each day he seems to do a little better.
                  This house has been under reconstruction for the last 11 months. There was dust, fiberglass and who knows what else all over everything. I cleaned every floor. I think there may have been something on the floors agitating him. He is so sensitive to everything.
                  Now the problem is Homer. I think he could still be trained to somewhat act like a normal dog. The trick is to train Rick to understand that you can love them at the same time you are diciplining them.
                  Thanks
                  Tzugroomer

Comment

Fiberglass huh? That'll do it. That stuff is sooooo difficult to completely remove. It floats in the air, gets into your air ducts and comes flying back out every time the heat comes on, and it'll make you itch like crazy.

Comment

My hubby builds and services the big machines for textiles. He doesn't often have to "run" fabric, but does on occasion for testing. When the fabric has fiberglass in it look out....he breaks out in a horrible rash that lasts for days, to say nothing of what it does for his disposition. I also notice that he coughs alot when this happens. Yes he does wear a mask, but like Helly said, I think that stuff just sticks aroundl. Nasty stuff!
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                      X