Hyperthyroid 15 yr old cat and Prescription food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperthyroid 15 yr old cat and Prescription food

My cat's test results show that she is hyperthyroid.
    Has anyone tried the Hills Prescription y/d diet? Seen any results? My vet said that his client's cats haven't wanted to eat the food, and that the food takes longer to have an effect than meds.
    He prefers that she be treated with medications, but as they must be given 2x a day -- and sometimes have side effects -- I am looking into the Hills food. I can give her pills without trouble, but she won't enjoy 2x a day pills.
    She has lost weight over the past year, meows more often, eats heartily, drinks more water than she used to drink. Otherwise, seems fairly contented. Also, she has some kind of problem going on in her mouth that causes her to drool, but due to her hyperthyroid condition, can't put her under to explore the problem.

We have a number very of clients whose pets refuse - to the point of starvation- to eat the Hills food. This is true of felines and canines. Try the foodcbut be ready to give the pills.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
      My cat's test results show that she is hyperthyroid.
      Has anyone tried the Hills Prescription y/d diet? Seen any results? My vet said that his client's cats haven't wanted to eat the food, and that the food takes longer to have an effect than meds.
      He prefers that she be treated with medications, but as they must be given 2x a day -- and sometimes have side effects -- I am looking into the Hills food. I can give her pills without trouble, but she won't enjoy 2x a day pills.
      She has lost weight over the past year, meows more often, eats heartily, drinks more water than she used to drink. Otherwise, seems fairly contented. Also, she has some kind of problem going on in her mouth that causes her to drool, but due to her hyperthyroid condition, can't put her under to explore the problem.
      Have you looked into the radioactive iodine treatment? I personally know several cats that were completely cured this way

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I would just give the pills.

Comment

Emma, if you can pill her that would be best. 2 of mine are kidney cats right now and get a concoction of meds. I crush everything up and mix it in some pureed (nutribullet) cat food, then make little syringes of food/meds for my cats. One is awesome about her syringes. The other??? Very very auspicious of me lol.

What were here calcium levels??
          Debbie
          There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I decided to do pills instead of food.
            She might have the radioactive iodine treatment in the future, but she has another issue (drooling -- not sure why yet) so after her hyperthyroid is under control, she might go in for exploratory oral.

Comment

Working...
            X