Expensive grain free cat food and soft stool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive grain free cat food and soft stool

I wonder if grain-free food is more likely to result in soft stools with cats? Every so often I get a call from an owner who has purchased a cat from a breeder. The breeder suggested feeding grain-free canned, or in some cases, preparing raw food. The owner calls me for a sanitary trim due to a messy rear end. They tell me the poop in the litter box is soft. I'm surprised because my pre-conception is that more meat and less filler (like grains) would result in small, firm stools. I feed my cat Science Diet Beef for 7+ Year Old. It's not grain free, but she does have small, firm stool, almost like rabbit pellets but bigger. (Hope you've already had your breakfast, ha ha).
    The owners are paying a whole lot of money for the food, and I'm sure there are benefits, but why is this happening, I wonder? The cats are about a year old, since they were adopted about six months or so ago. That's usually when the owners get tired of poopy bottoms and call me. Could it be that the food is better suited to adults?

Hi Emma.. so this is one cat you are referring to and it is just sometimes that the cat has issues? I know some wet foods can be richer and more oil will cause looser stools. There's also a meat/bone ratio.. the more bone or calcium the firmer the stools. I mean.. I agree with you and it has been my experience that grain free results in harder stools. And sometimes my cats just get down right constipated. I do have one cat that when I got her as a young girl, not quite a year old, any time I gave her Wellness canned, she would get runny poops and super gassy! She won't even eat it now. And none of my do well on raw, they all throw it up.. and I've tried all sorts of brands and homemade, etc. I'm curious what they are feeding lol. I have 4 cats and it's like having 4 children with different appetites hahahaha. So 3 different dry foods, since they are snackers and 4 different canned foods, because one has kidney failure and I don't care what she eats.. wet or dry.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

I've had owners tell me about soft stools 5 times.
      Two Siberians in one home. Two Siberians in another home. (I love grooming Siberians!) And then this recent kitten who is a Ragdoll.
      They're feeding different brands of food.
      From what you say, it sounds like kitties are sensitive to various foods, and it very much depends on the cat.
      I've had cats who luckily were very tolerant of foods, so this soft stool situation was new to me.

Originally posted by daesue View Post
      Hi Emma.. so this is one cat you are referring to and it is just sometimes that the cat has issues? I know some wet foods can be richer and more oil will cause looser stools. There's also a meat/bone ratio.. the more bone or calcium the firmer the stools. I mean.. I agree with you and it has been my experience that grain free results in harder stools. And sometimes my cats just get down right constipated. I do have one cat that when I got her as a young girl, not quite a year old, any time I gave her Wellness canned, she would get runny poops and super gassy! She won't even eat it now. And none of my do well on raw, they all throw it up.. and I've tried all sorts of brands and homemade, etc. I'm curious what they are feeding lol. I have 4 cats and it's like having 4 children with different appetites hahahaha. So 3 different dry foods, since they are snackers and 4 different canned foods, because one has kidney failure and I don't care what she eats.. wet or dry.

Comment

Working...
      X