Imagine this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine this.

So you're sitting on the floor at check in with a large dog who is super sweet and all on your face, and the owner tells you that the dog is blind and diabetic and a cancer survivor. Then she says "I don't know why she's so itchy, I can't find any fleas on her, but she's covered in this kind of scabbiness, and it's been spreading. I've been trying to wash and scrub it off, but I can't."

You look, and say "Those aren't scabs. Those are lice." And you look down at your pants and there are lice all over them, and your reception floor is covered in a dusting of them from scratching the dog for two minutes, and you realize that the dog has more lice-per-square-inch than it has visible skin. Yeah. That happened. Then I went home and scraped off my outer layer of skin in a scalding shower.

While I hope I could stay calm in this situation... I just picture mysef screaming, running to the bathing area stripping off my clothes along the way, jump into the tub and scrub myself with dog shampoo and disinfectant and maybe even bleach, then figure out how to get a change of clothes because the ones I was wearing must be burned.

YUCK!!!

Comment

I have great sympathy for the dog.........even after a de-licing bath, I can't imagine the dog's condition will change, since the owner will take it back home, into the same infected environment. I'm curious....what did the owner say when you guys pointed out the lice?

Happy scrubbing

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        I have great sympathy for the dog.........even after a de-licing bath, I can't imagine the dog's condition will change, since the owner will take it back home, into the same infected environment. I'm curious....what did the owner say when you guys pointed out the lice?

Happy scrubbing

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        She was severely disgusted. Unfortunately, I live in an area where lice is fairly common (we definitely see lice more often than ticks, but not as often as fleas), so I identified them right away. Mom's friend was holding the leash, and she had in instant look of horror on her face as she thrust the leash back towards friend and said "Um. You hold her." Then she valiantly stood guard near the door and whispered to everybody walking by "Don't pet our dog, don't pet our dog!"

Mom said that she had left the dog with friends when she went out of town and got the dog back itchy. Couldn't find any fleas or issues, but the dog already had a variety of other health conditions, possible thyroid condition and sensitivies, she said "My vet prescribed this" and actually had a bottle of Prednisone on her, which she produced. Yeah, no. She said that the itchiness and "scabbiness" had spread over a couple of weeks. Fortunately, she already had a vet appointment scheduled for the next day. Friend was too grossed out to even come back with mom for pick up (we did her straight through to contain the infestation), but mom ended up happy and rebooked for 5 days.

As for the groomers... Most of my co-workers are traumatized. lol

Comment

Lol Moo, your last sentence made me laugh. Lice...ugh! I would have been in the shop tub taking a bath....forget going all the way home!!!
          I think I prefer tick or flea dogs.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

At the second I would figured out it was lice I would scratch myself, when I see a dog covered of fleas, or so I scratch myself even if I have nothing on me. Just to see those tiny legs jumping or whatever !
            One day after a dog with A LOT of fleas, I found one on me right before I take a shower. I've been to the kitchen and take white vinegar, it BURNED like a crazy each inch of my skin and head but I felt so so clean after. Worst shower of my life, if I had a tub at home, I would had take a vinegar bath.

Comment

Where are you from? I've never seen lice on a dog. Is it the same as people lice? Im in New england

Comment

Everyone knows lice are species specific right? Dog lice don't live on humans.

I'm surprised you were covered in lice as was the floor as dog lice is usually sucking lice and doesn't just fall off.

Comment

Yes, they are species specific, but they are still gross. Ticks & fleas I can keep track of and know where they are. Lice gross me out because they are tiny and everywhere.

The sheer multitude of them made them a little easier to break loose, I think. Normally they are stuck at the base of the hair and fairly difficult to comb out, but there were lice on top of lice, and loads of them dropped down just from me and the mom scratching & petting the dog for like three minutes. There were so many that you could actually see them without splitting the fur just chilling out on the dog's face and stuff. The dog also had a large (like almost 1 foot square) bald patch from a past operation on its side, with hair that had never grown in, so at that hairline, the lice were free falling, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X