Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zues came in covered in bruises, what should i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zues came in covered in bruises, what should i do?

I've never seen bruises like this on him before, but they seem pretty bad. The one above his eye was even bleeding. I called the owner as soon as i noticed them and he said "oh yeah i know they're there" but didnt give me any explanation as to what caused them. As i dried him i noticed even more bruises under his chin and on his neck. I felt horrible for Zues, he's one of my favs and his dad sends me sooooo many referrals. When they picked him up the mother said that Zues had had fleas and was scratching himself on the concrete and thats where the bruises came from.... I didnt see any fleas on him, but he was itchy under his chin. Could he really have scratched himself that bad, or is this abuse?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zues Briuse1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1138154Click image for larger version

Name:	zues bruise 3.JPG
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1138155Click image for larger version

Name:	zues bruise 4.JPG
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1138156Click image for larger version

Name:	zuesbruise2.JPG
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1138157

Yes he could have scratched himself that bad. Hitting a dog usually won't cause bruising. I would have checked his gums. If there was bruising there (Called petechiae) then it could be Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Parti just did an excellent article on her blog about IMT, and that is life threatening.

Comment

Of couse he could have scratched himself that badly. Dogs are good at self mutalation. But Cocker is right if the gums are bruised, he needs prompt vet attention.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Vet. Now. Probably taken there by ME.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
          Vet. Now. Probably taken there by ME.
          Second that! Had a dog almost die in my salon once cuz of the Immune thingy!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm with the others. If the dog was bruising that badly from scratching the dog needs some blood work done by a vet ASAP to determine why he is bruising.

I suspect the cause of the bruising is as much a problem from within as from without.

Comment

If you clip the hair off and it IS related to scratching it will just get worse cause you make it so that he can get to the skin easier. I groom dogs that selfmutilate and have to have steroids the day before or benedryl the day of to keep them from tearing themselves up.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Vet trip could be autoimmune related

Lisa

Comment

Thanks guys, I asked the owners to take him to the vet. I don't know if they will, they were convinced it was just from the scratching and that some antibiotic cream would fix it.... they would not allow me to take him in, as they said they couldn't afford anywhere but SPCA. i said i could take him there and they said no...

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                    If you clip the hair off and it IS related to scratching it will just get worse cause you make it so that he can get to the skin easier. I groom dogs that selfmutilate and have to have steroids the day before or benedryl the day of to keep them from tearing themselves up.
                    Is it always due to being itchy or is it sometimes pyschological, like stress causing them to do it? Just curious, thanks in advance !

Comment

Originally posted by JOLIE View Post
                      Is it always due to being itchy or is it sometimes pyschological, like stress causing them to do it? Just curious, thanks in advance !
                      Sometimes stress or OCD can cause self destructive behaviors. My Standard Poodle was prone to obsessive licking and had to be monitored constantly whenever he had any sort of injury. At one point he licked all the fur and most of the skin off his backside in a 9 inch long, 3 inch wide swath. It was very gruesome.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLIE View Post
                        In his case he itches badly all the time and self mutilates. The benedryl or pred stops the itching long enough to get him groomed and for a day or so afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ShampoochPets View Post
                          Thanks guys, I asked the owners to take him to the vet. I don't know if they will, they were convinced it was just from the scratching and that some antibiotic cream would fix it.... they would not allow me to take him in, as they said they couldn't afford anywhere but SPCA. i said i could take him there and they said no...
                          In other words.....the dog isnt going to the vet. I wonder how he looks this am with shorter hair and fresh clipped nails to scratch with.
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                            Yes he could have scratched himself that bad. Hitting a dog usually won't cause bruising. I would have checked his gums. If there was bruising there (Called petechiae) then it could be Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Parti just did an excellent article on her blog about IMT, and that is life threatening.
                            If it is this, anyone have experience what it's like to live with it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                              If it is this, anyone have experience what it's like to live with it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                              The dog I wrote the blog post on is fine now. No recurrences but they are really good about keeping her meds and on top of her vet care. That dog in the photos HERE will end up a bloody mess if you groomed it. I would NOT have touched it until it was vet cleared. PERIOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X