Hypothetical question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question...

I have some really old dog customers and was wondering if one dies of natural causes during or after getting groomed, do you still ask for money or do you not charge for obvious reasons? Has anyone had to deal with this kind of situation?

I've never had a dog die during or after grooming BUT this year I had two dogs 13yrs and 16yrs both with conjestive heart failure. Their parents parents boarded them with me alot. Both decided to pass away within 2 wks time while staying at my facility. I was there for it, it was sad and heartbreaking. I cried like a baby. We contacted the parents to the dogs and I didn't expect payment for either dog. Both families are really good customers. And actually one of the babies who passed with us I have buried here. She was like our own. Anyways, I didn't ask for payment, but both familes did pay anyways.

Comment

Think about it. Here is your dog (hand over body) "I'm so sorry for your loss,that will be $48.50." I couldn't do it. Could you? I think I would give them the groom at no charge as a condolence for their loss. They shouldn't expect it for free, but if they asked how much it was, I would say theres no charge we are just going to miss her so much.

Comment

i've had that happen to me. the dog had congestive heart failure. it was known to me and the owner . the vet gave clearance to groom. even though she tried to pay, i wouldn't take it. i had been doing binggo for years. mom and i still chit chat over the phone.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I have not had that happen, but if I did, I would not charge. I just couldn't. I think that looks real$ greedy. I would tell them how sorry I am.

Comment

Not only would I not charge for that groom.. but a few weeks later, I would send a nice note saying if they chose to add another dog or puppy to their family, that it's first groom would be complementary.

Granted, vets charge for pets that die all the time, but their job is to help sick and dying animals.. ours is to care for all life stages (but we usually tell owners if their pet is ailing to NOT bring them to us..)

If my father had passed away at the barber's.. and the barber said.. that'll be $12.. I'd probably punch him! hehe

Comment

No Question in my mind I would never charge if that happened in my shop.
              It's bad enough that if it happened I would never ask for money. Sometimes you need to follow your heart.
              "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
              Nancy

Comment

I couldn't charge them if a dog died. It would be upsetting enough for everyone involved. Asking for payment would seem kinda cold.

Comment

I don't think i could ask. I probably be balling in the corner till they got there. I would definetly send a card.
                  Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

I've had this happen a couple of times. Never asked for payment, and instead, made a donation in the dog's name to the local humane shelter. It wasn't a huge donation, but the owner appreciated the thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X