Allergic to its own hair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to its own hair.

I have a couple of dogs that come in and get shaved really really short. One is an older lab and the other is a shih tzu (I am sure I have a few more but those are the ones that come to mind). Neither of these dogs seem to really have any skin issues that I can see and their coats are pretty nice condition. Different owners mind you.

Both of these owners excuses are that their dogs are allergic to their own hair. Now I just have my doubts on this one but was wondering if anyone knows of anything about that. To me it seems like a ridicules notion of a dog being allergic to its own self.

I am an RVT, some years ago we had a schnauzer that because of skin issues went through with allergy testing at the University. The list of allergens came back with the dog being allergic to about 20 different things, among them was cat and dog dander allergies. Go figure!
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Heck I have a client her dog tested out to be allergic to HUMAN dander!! Go figure! Poor dog!

Comment

allergies

I am a Certified Veterinary Technician and actually had the privilage of working for a Vet dermatologist and was able to see all kinds of pets with allergies and depending on what they are allergic to and what specific testing was done, they can be allergic to anything and everything. Especially any inhalant allergies which can get on the pets coats and make them each like crazy! Many common allergens are indoors which make pets itch all year round! But we never had a dog allergic to its self! At least not yet

Comment

Dogs (and people) can be allergic to anything. Even water. Being allergic to your own hair would be an autoimmune problem. But it's probably more likely the dog is allergic to something in his hair, rather than the hair itself.

Comment

I had a customer say the dog was allergic to his own skin. I think she was kidding, but now that I see its possible I have to wonder if she was being serious.

Comment

I;am not sure what to say on this topic as I wonder if I am allergic to myself!
              I have been to enough doctors who come up empty as to an answer.I can tell you it's not fun to live w/this,nor is there a cure.So w/this said I don't think I would completly "pooh,pooh", it either.I'd rather not go into detail of the symptoms that I experience on the board.I have alot of ideas,thoughts,but not much more to add.Do what you can to help,try different shampoo's ect..see if anything helps if you can.It may sound strange,but try to work w/them as they live w/the pet and know,and see more than you do so use the the info.they give you to build a trust.I think the trust is already there or they would't have brought it to your attention.Just because "we" don't understand something dosen't make the problen not exist.The pet owners seem to be looking for answers,and are looking to you.Good luck,hope you can track it down for them.Let us all know if you would.

Comment

I would never have thought that something could be allergic to itself, wow, a dog allergic to dog dander or a dog even allergic to people dander!

I just assumed the people were making up an excuse to keep their dog in a super short haircut. I'm glad I asked!

Comment

Minky, I've had at least 3 people tell me the same thing. I just say "Mmmmm-kay" and agree to shave the poor animal as requested.

Comment

we had a horse who's allergy test came back positive for:

hay
                    grass
                    oats
                    wheat
                    palm trees
                    pine trees
                    oak trees

and we lived in central FL!

Comment

I have had 2 Bichons allergic to their own hair. and yes, it was the hair, not what was in it. These 2 are not related in any way. They have to be kept short, I use an 8 1/2 from nose to tail. no problems since. not pretty, but they aren't miserable either!

Comment

Working...
                      X