Skin issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin issues

My pup has had ongoing skin issues for about 6 mths, the breeder insists if I fed a certain food he would have no problems. The food I feed is always on whole dogs top foods, his isn't. Anyway the vet thinks it is from an isssue he ran into last November and has perscribed antibiotics and a very short round of predinisone, skin scrapping showed no mites, he is taller and heavier than his littermates. Energy to die for, just hair loss, itchy,benadryl knocks him out. So any other suggestions?m Any ideas help would be appreciated. I am just sick about it, tar and sulphur shampoo gives a couple weeks relief and then it starts again. HELP
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

First of all, check for thyroid problems.

If that isn't the issue, fish oil with plenty of Omega 3's usually helps.

Apple cider vinegar in his water can help with some yeast problems.

Try switching to a grain free food, can't hurt.

Comment

what kind of dog is it?

Comment

He is an 11 mth old German shepherd, he was on a grain free when this started,fish oil didn't help, olive oil no help. sugar scrubs give temporary relief, I'm beging to think it is the air freshner here at work.

Comment

If he were my dog I'd ask my vet to treat him for sarcoptes incognito. Sometimes the mites are so deep they can't be found on a skin scraping. If that doesn't help, do a thyroid panel and allergy testing.

Comment

I saw Thera Coat from Davis at a trade show. Has anyone ever used it or know anything about it? Do you think it might help with this problem?

Comment

Has your vet tested the thyroid?

It sounds like the same problem our first GSD had. She had been abandoned at an animal shelter with no fur on the back end of her body. Soon after we adopted her, we noticed that she was very itchy all the time. The vet did a thyroid test and that's what it was. She had to be on thyroid meds all her life. Good luck!

Comment

Pet Atopy

Originally posted by odette View Post
                My pup has had ongoing skin issues for about 6 mths, the breeder insists if I fed a certain food he would have no problems. The food I feed is always on whole dogs top foods, his isn't. Anyway the vet thinks it is from an isssue he ran into last November and has perscribed antibiotics and a very short round of predinisone, skin scrapping showed no mites, he is taller and heavier than his littermates. Energy to die for, just hair loss, itchy,benadryl knocks him out. So any other suggestions?m Any ideas help would be appreciated. I am just sick about it, tar and sulphur shampoo gives a couple weeks relief and then it starts again. HELP

My dog suffered from Pet atopy for years. It was as sad and frustrating for her as it was for me. I have installed a PetAirapy system in my home (www.petairapy.com) and my dog has been free of medications and allergy symptoms since 2007. Best part is now my whole family no longer suffers with allergies in the home.

After so much research, I found that food allergies only accounted for 20% of the dog population. According to VPI pet insurance, environmental allergies was the second most common reason dogs were taken to the veterinarian last year. Ear infections were number one and the main reason for ear infections was because of the allergies. So, this shows that environmental allergies are becoming as harmful for our pets as they are for us.

Comment

Originally posted by strayhairs View Post
                  I saw Thera Coat from Davis at a trade show. Has anyone ever used it or know anything about it? Do you think it might help with this problem?
                  I tried it for my Dachshund, Oli. He's a long hair, so when he has coat problems he looks like rats have been chewing on him.

The Thera Coat helped, but only for about 3 months, if that long. Then his hair started falling out again. The only thing that seems to keep him in good coat is to feed Pro Plan sensitive systems, which is fish based. When he eats that, he has a beautiful coat and healthy skin. Everything else I've tried, including food, has been a wash.

Comment

Have him tested for allergies.

Comment

Theracoat does work well, but works the best with a fish based food like natural balance sweet potato and salmon or taste of the wild pacific stream, their both grain free and limited ingredients, its also good to switch food atleast 1 time a year so they dont build up allergy tolerance to certain foods.

Comment

my mom's dog (aussie) has horrible skin problems we cannot find any medical reasons..she just itches herself to the skin, we try different foods medicines ect..the only thing that helps is steroids. Bobbi panter itchy dog shampoo gave her a little relief for a day but then tried it again and it didn't work..so i don't know!! we are at our wits end here!

Comment

He was staerted on totw at 6.5 weeks had coat to die for, then the racoon incident and gone down hill, but the cephalexim and 1 predinisone have him atleast not tearing himself up. I am taking ALL suggestions down and will try alot. I like the air purifyer for the shop, it'll help all of us. So might be a secondary infection. The vet will try whatever I want, just doesn;t want to hit his puppy system woth to much, he's only 11 mths. Will keep you posted and when his coat comes back post pics . Thanks, this is a great group.

Comment

I'm not really into using plant based supplements for dogs, but one of my clients began adding coconut oil to her dog's food and it's coat has literally doubled in thickness and is no longer brittle.

The first time I goomed this dog with a shedding treatment, I pulled massive amounts of dead hair out of it - the pile was larger than the dog. I do attribute some of the coat health to being properly groomed - but the coconut oil has definitely made an impact.

Comment

My grandmas gsd has the same problems. She has feed a raw diet, taste of the wild added supplements, bendryl (spell?) tested her tyroid and nothing seems to help. She has recently added Canola Oil to her diet and she said she noticed a difference but hasn't cured it yet. So I will keep watching this thread to see if anyone has any more ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X