Yorkie Ear Edge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkie Ear Edge issue

Today I had a yorkie come in, full coat. Owner starts going on and on about the groomer screwing everything up on this dog in December. I'm in Florida, and she asks about fleas since her dog isn't on flea control, she doesn't believe in it, blah blah blah. I explain that we treat the grooming area, and all we do to prevent fleas, but that it IS florida and there ARE fleas in florida and it doesn't matter if your dog doesn't go outside it can still get fleas. Then onto nose crusties, that of course, must have something to do with it's groom in Dec (according to owner) but when I ask about the dog's teeth she explains that they ARE bad but she doesn't want to put her under for dental and I explain that the nose, eyes, teeth are all somewhat connected and maybe the crusties are part of the fact her teeth are so bad. THEN a sebaceous cyst...again, "never had those before, must be something that groomer in Dec. did..." ***SIGH**** I nearly sent her home and told her to forget it I wouldn't mess with her dog.

ONTO the real issue. I'm grooming this dog, and go to tip the ears, and notice something is really wrong with the skin at the ears - fungus? Bacteria? No noticeable inner ear issue. I go to scissor the edges and DID NOT NICK the edge, but they lightly ooze a little blood. It's almost like the skin is splitting (kinda like if one brushed too hard with a slicker) I stop immediately. She picks dog up, I show her ears, explain something is very wrong with the skin and since she's going to the vet tomorrow he needs to look. I also explain I DID NOT PLUCK the ears because there is so much hair in them (and God forbid I start any type of problem with this dog!) and see if the vet wants to do it. The ears seem VERY thin, dark around edge, stuff wouldn't wash off. So far she's fine with what I did, no issue

Any idea what the heck this could be with the dogs ear edges???

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but one Vet looked at a clients Yorkie and said it's probably Alopecia... exactly like you described but not quite as bad. I have a teeny Chihuahua that I groom that has it really bad, looks like the ears could tear extremely easy and have flaky black stuff on the edges, a piece came off just as I was showing the owner after the groom, no blood though. Hope everything goes okay with that client, seems like she could cause some trouble :/

Comment

Of course it could be a bazillion things, but the 3 that spring foremost to mind for me are some sort of autoimmune disease, sunburn (people can be less than smart w/ dogs and Florida sun) or mange.
      Good call on shooting that one to the vet, she should be thanking you.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

She could have heart trouble. Lack of circulation could cause the ears/tip of tail/pads of feet to (i think it's called) atrophy. That is sometimes a symptom of congestive heart failure.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Diabetes could also cause poor circulation.
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'd never seen anything quite like it! I'm supposed to hear from her today, we will see!

Comment

Probably the most common cause of the problem you're describing is hypothyroidism. Sometimes that's the only symptom the dog ever shows, and sometimes it starts on the ears and slowly progresses to the more generalized symptoms. Another common cause is ringworm.

There are a host of other causes. I wouldn't be satisfied with a diagnosis of "alopecia" which isn't really a diagnosis at all. Alopecia is a symptom, not a disease.

If it were my dog we'd be getting blood work and skin scrapings done ASAP.

Seeing as this is not your dog, and you have no control over whether the owner takes this seriously or not, you might try something like this:

"Mrs. Dogowner, I noticed something about the edges of Fluffenbutts ears. I'm not a vet, or course, but you might want to get it checked out, just in case it's something like ringworm, which is contagious to humans."

That'll send a LOT of pet owners screaming to the vet.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

"Mrs. Dogowner, I noticed something about the edges of Fluffenbutts ears. I'm not a vet, or course, but you might want to get it checked out, just in case it's something like ringworm, which is contagious to humans."

That'll send a LOT of pet owners screaming to the vet.
                Excellent idea If I don't hear from her by tomorrow afternoon I'll give her a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Probably the most common cause of the problem you're describing is hypothyroidism. Sometimes that's the only symptom the dog ever shows, and sometimes it starts on the ears and slowly progresses to the more generalized symptoms. Another common cause is ringworm.
                  Thanks for the info on this Helly, I'm going to relay this info to my clients. The vet that saw my one client never said anything about ringworm or hypothyroidism from what she told me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X