Thank goodness I know Canine CPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank goodness I know Canine CPR

or esle Stevie, the 13 year old shihtzu that was in my salon today would be dead.

She is the only dog I groom that comes in wet after her dad bathes her and we dry her then groom her. Today while she was being dried she started barking at the dryer, fell over and was completely limp.

By the time I got into the drying room, she was not breathing, had no heartbeat and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth, purple tinged....I was sure she was dead. I began compressions and no response. I think I did compressions and MTM for 2 minutes before she gasped slightly. It was 5 full minutes after she started breathing on her own before she could lift her head. It took her owner almost an hour to get to the shop and take her to the vet (he insisted he was on his way and my hubby had my truck out of town or else I would have transported her myself!) and when he got there the staff said the vet was at lunch and didnt bother to call him!

At about 3 this afternoon (this happened at 10:20) the vet called to tell me she thinks the dog just passed out, not that she had a major episode.....I actually said to her, DO YOU THINK I cannot tell the difference between a dog that is passed out and one that DIED? One passed out needs NO CPR! I still dont think she believed me, but my bather had to go home early he was so shook up about the whole thing. I mean, at one point I stopped and said "I think she's dead" before I decided to keep going.....

At any rate, Stevie is fine and will come back in a day or two to have her groom finished with her dad standing there at my table......

This is the 6th time in 14 years I have had to do CPR on a client dog and the 4th time I was successful at bringing them pet around. EVERYONE who works in a grooming facility, vet onhand or not, SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Oh geez, glad it turned out ok. For those that do not know - check your local red cross chapters; they offer k9 CPR courses.

I have done their course in the past but am due for a refresher.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly Debi! Good save!!!
      I posted about a similar situation (ironically....involving a Shih) a few weeks back, that also had a happy ending.
      Canine CPR and Rescue Breathing knowledge is an ACE in the back pocket for those of us that don't have the benefit of working under a vet's roof.
      The dog might die...but NOT before I did everything I knew how to do...to prevent that from happening.

I credit Mary (Working Chihuahua) and Beth for sharing the knowledge that assisted me in a similar situation.
      Their class has been invaluable.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

That is sooo scary. I was just thinking last night that I need to review my pet CPR. I vow to do that before I go to bed tonight.

I'm glad there is a happy ending.
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

good job Debi. every single one of us should know cpr. just a reminder for those going to intergroom and hhbacker. there is room in the pet cpr classes at both shows.
          Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
          "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Good job Debi

Been there! Done that!

Comment

I agree that everyone should know CPR, and not just pet CPR either. But it sounds more like the dog had respiratory arrest from a seizure, not that it "died." It does happen, and they do turn blue and look dead. They can sometimes appear to have no heartbeat because os a seizure, too.

The neat thing about respiratory arrest during a seizure is that it's almost always self limiting. When the brain senses the CO2 levels getting to high it shuts down all unnecessary processes. The seizure stops and breathing starts back up again. I say almost, because anything that is in status epilepticus isn't going to stop seizing without medical intervention. Seizures lasting more than 2 minutes need to be evaluated ASAP.

Comment

That's scary. I took pet cpr & first aid just last fall, but next time there is a course, I will retake it.

Comment

Working...
                X