OT Bitches in season and chlorphyll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Bitches in season and chlorphyll.

Well, my 5 yr old Sibe came into heat this weekend, and that's prolly gonna start a "heatwave" with the other 1, maybe 2, gals.
    Typically..they go to my co-owners for a month...but frankly, I miss them, and I'd like to try and keep them here.
    I don't own any male dogs, but as I groom from home and doggysit neutered males..it has always been a concern of mine...that it would drive the boys nuts.

Does anyone use the chlorophyll tabs w/ any luck?
    I ordered a bottle of softgels (100 mgs/cap)...but now realize I don't have a clue as to the dosage/toxicity...or even effectiveness? I always did hate homework.

The gels are labeled for a human as an "internal deodorant"...so I guess if all else fails, I'll eat them and my "innards" won't stink.

Please help keep Sibe's Sibes at home. TIA.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Hey

Never heard of that before. Very cool... thanks.

Comment

I wouldn't be over concerned about your male grooming dogs coming into the shop. You could always put a dab of Vivk's vaporub on the nose of any male you think might be overly interested in the new smells in the shop.

Or even a vaporizer with a bit of Vicks in that to "freshen up" the air.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post

Does anyone use the chlorophyll tabs w/ any luck?
        I ordered a bottle of softgels (100 mgs/cap)...but now realize I don't have a clue as to the dosage/toxicity...or even effectiveness? I always did hate homework.
        Cripes, I thought this old wives' tale died out in the mid 1950's. I guess not.

Back in the early 50's chlorophyll was christened as the Next Great Thing and put into almost everything to make you/them healthy and smell nice. One of the things it was hawked for was to reduce the fragrance of a bitch in season, to the point the boys wouldn't line up to ask her for a date.

That idea quickly went the way of the dinosaurs for a good reason - it didn't work.

Comment

We used to use the chlorophyl pills years ago-sold for dogs as 'No-Mate'tabs. Since you don't have any intact boys, you should be fine anyway. Just call your vet and ask for dosage. It does take some of the scent away.
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Vicks is GREAT!

I use it all the time - when my bithches come in season or I'm taking a male to a dog show. I only use it when necessary - but I always have it around!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
              Since you don't have any intact boys, you should be fine anyway. Just call your vet and ask for dosage. It does take some of the scent away.
              That's all I was hoping for...something to maybe knock "the edge" of the scent, not as birth control, lol!
              I have several neutered males in and out for boarding over the next few weeks, and just didn't want anyone going on a hunger strike or yowling all night.

We'll see. I always have co-owner as a back-up, and I'll prolly be knocking on her door at 2 am in 5 days.

One nice thing I did read...is it can turn their poops KELLY GREEN, which I thought would be a nice touch for St. Patty's Day, particularly as the dog yard is a big hill and the crp can be seen for miles and miles. Hey...I could even feed them raw carrots for a real Irish effect! I'll call it "IRISH-IT".

Comment

Vicks is great!

Originally posted by DeannaK View Post
                I use it all the time - when my bithches come in season or I'm taking a male to a dog show. I only use it when necessary - but I always have it around!
                That stuff burns. Don't get it on her privates.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                  That stuff burns. Don't get it on her privates.
                  OMG, no never on the privates - and you don't use alot... a little dab is all that is needed! Typically around the males nose..... not in the nose....

Comment

I never had much luck with the clorophyl tablets, but a strong infusion of lemon grass seemed to work quite well.

Steep it in boiling water, cool, strain and put it in a spray bottle. Spritz the little hussies as necessary.

Comment

So far, so good.

But...tomorrow is only day 10, so the real test will begin. I'm giving 1 gel-cap thingie 2 Xday, and have had a neutered AussieXlab, neut. Std Poo, and an un-neutered Rat Terrier here, and countless groom dogs, and everyone is acting fine.

A rogue rabbit Beagle showed up at the fence yesterday morning at 6 am. I've never been SO a-skeert to see a BEAGLE in my life.
                      Can you imagine...Sibergles? Gads...a dog that makes a ton of noise as it hunts and kills... till it drops dead, and listens to NO ONE!

Comment

No Sibes No!

In the olden days when I was a kid we had a beagle bitch. There were lots of loose unneutered males in the hood. She stayed in our yard during her "time". The vet would sell my parents those chorophyll tabs,and we would get adorable litters of pups of every shape and colour. A local standard poodle would still ambush me on my way home from school,and being too large to get Bonny, he would jump me ,and do unspeakably embarassing things,that would have my parents rushing out to save me,and every kid in the hood pointing and laughing at me for days.
                        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                        Quote:Cath

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                          A rogue rabbit Beagle showed up at the fence yesterday morning at 6 am. I've never been SO a-skeert to see a BEAGLE in my life.
                          Can you imagine...Sibergles? Gads...a dog that makes a ton of noise as it hunts and kills... till it drops dead, and listens to NO ONE!
                          As it dig holes to China in between kills & pees on stuff.
                          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Okay, my experience

Chlorophyll won't kill the odor totally. Especially when they pee. Yet it has helped me immensely. Vicks never helped. Dosage, well 1 100 Mg twice a day for the Brittan (35 lbs), 2 tabs for the Coonhound (80 lbs). Basically enough to make the poop real green. Can't hurt for sure, it's usually alfalfa. It has kept coyotes from howling around, and strays from coming around. My boys still get crazy, but it cuts down some of it. It has worked so good that I've taken my Coonhound in a group ring full bloom and the boys didn't notice. Even the Rhodesian Ridgeback right behind her. The Bloodhound sort of sniffed a bit though ;o).

Long ago I had a Standard Poodle that was neutered break through a bathroom door and break open a crate for a beagle (hmmm a beagle) in heat staying with me prior to Chlorophyll, so they still can get hot to trot neutered.
                            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I'm hoping the chloro works...even for a while. If not..it's off to the CO's.
                              I'm not comfortable putting Vicks on other peoples dogs....tho I've certainly done it on my boys over the years. My luck...they'd rub it into their eyes and go blind or something....

Where does one find lemongrass? A Health Store?

Comment

Working...
                              X