No announcement yet.

I lost my other standard poodle today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my other standard poodle today.

I put Andre down this morning. He was in liver failure. Lots of questions as to why he was in failure. He was 8 yrs old and had had multiple problems over the years. But nothing to indicate that this was happening. Well, I didn't recognize the signs. It all started with a horrible cough back in Nov. My vet was on maternity leave so another vet looked at him. He also had this recurring ear infection. Well, they told me it was a virus and gave antibiotics and more ear meds. This was an inexperienced vet too. I don't blame her, she just didn't have the insight to probe further, and neither did I. Things got a little better. But neither the cough or ear problem resolved itself completely. I figured the cough was viral and needed to run it's course. The ears I just cleaned daily. Was waiting for my vet to return to work. He seemed to improve, then he just started getting more and more lethargic. Over the past month he started leaking urine when he rested. Then drinking more water and eating snow.
    So I took him in right away to see my vet who had returned from leave.
    His blood readings were very high. And he just wasn't responding to treatment. I couldn't watch him suffer any longer. So I let him go after 2 days of treatment.
    I just want to say that little signs like the ones I have mentioned may not seem like much, but they can be big indicators of serious disease. Don't put off seeing the vet like I did. Tell them your observations. And get blood work done, and check urine for anything.
    Unfortunately I had lost his sister 2 years ago to auto immune disease. I am not looking to blame someone. But I cannot help think that the breeder did NOT now what she was doing because she was line breeding. These dogs were both too young. She was a BYB and talked a good talk, and I worked with her at the start of my grooming career. I was very ignorant.
    I hope that my loss can help any of you to at the very least just ask a lot of questions. I wasn't that concerned about my boy at first. And now I don't have him any more

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am so sorry you lost your dear Andre. Thank you for posting your advice.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. The pain is so clear in your "voice". You did the best you could with the knowledge you had. Experience (and knowledge) is something we gain only through these trials.

hugs,
        sittingpretty

Comment

"Unfortunately I had lost his sister 2 years ago to auto immune disease. I am not looking to blame someone. But I cannot help think that the breeder did NOT now what she was doing because she was line breeding. These dogs were both too young."

I'm so sorry for your loss, it never gets easier. I'm sure you're hurting. But please, don't necessarily blame this on line-breeding. Responsible line breeding is done looking at the health and longevity of dogs. Just because they're line bred doesn't mean they're sickly. Do you know if the parents, grand-parents, etc. were not the healthiest dogs? Then they shouldn't have been bred. I'm a breeder, my foundation girl (LH standard dachshund) was tightly line-bred. She lived to be 18.5 years old with very little health problems until the very end. My foundation stud's background was all over the place - absolutely no tight breeding. Sadly, he only lived to be 11, with a couple of auto-immune problems at the end. The 1st generation progeny of these dogs lived well into their middle teens. The next generation is also into their middle teens now. Yes, it's about responsible breeding, and sometimes line-breeding in the responsible way to go.

Again, I'm so sorry that you lost your dogs at such a young age.

Comment

I'm sorry, Honey. All Poodles go to Heaven.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I am so sorry Pudel. Very, very sorry for this loss. I can't offer any advice but I wanted to send my sympathy to you.
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss (((hugs)))
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

So sorry.
                  "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, I have been the victim of BYB also and it sucks. It is a very painful way to learn. We all know this pain and I fear that my darling Maggie may not be around much longer and am bracing myself. I am sincerely sorry that you're having to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
                    ~*~Robin~*~
                    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

. I am fixing to put 2 down at once soon here...I feel your pain.

Comment

So sorry for your loss. I only had 1 Standard ,and he died of an auto-immune disorder at 1 year.
                        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                        Quote:Cath

Comment

I'm so sorry. Its hard to say goodbye to those you love, but I too hate to see any animal suffer if there seems to be nothing else too do.

Comment

I am so sorry! I know your heart must be broken. My prayers are with you.
                            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss Pudel, I just hate to hear of a poodle or any dog dying so young, my girl Layla SP will be eight in a few months, I had a blood and urine work up done just to maybe have a baseline she is very healthy and I am so thankful, she has produced beautiful litters for me, she is now been retired for a few years of course I had her thryroid tested during breeding years and the good news is that her levels are still great and bllod and urine work up looked fantastic.
                              Winteroo I am so sorry to hear about your babies I know they are getting up there in years as it is never easy young or old. I hate to here that there is one less loved poodle on this earth.

BTW: We need to save planet earth it is the only planet with Poodles.
                              ***Darlynn***
                              ***DON"T HATE ME BECAUSE IM POODLEFUL!!***

Comment

Working...
                              X