ice makes my dog vomit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice makes my dog vomit

It seems that every time Molly my sheepdog eats ice she gets sick almost instantly. Our dogs LOVE ice. if you put it in your glass they hear it and come running it's a low calorie treat for them. But lately if Molly gets one she gets sick. My husband accidentally dropped half an ice cube and she got it. She no sooner ate it and got sick. So we don't give them to her on purpose, I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. She is completely health other wise

ice cubes

One of my dogs will get sick if she eats ice. She loves it but can only eat a very small piece.

Comment

Has it always been this way? Or is this a change in behavior? If a change, it may actually be a signal that there is something going on there that is causing her to have a temperature sensitive system.

Comment

I wish I could remember where I read it so I could back up this statement, but Ice is not good for dogs. The explanation was clear, I just wish I could remember it....now it's gonna drive me nuts , i guess I'll google it.

Comment

Well I can't really say a change since she just started getting them. we recently moved and the new fridge has an ice maker so they hear that go off and come running. I guess at first though she did fine with them but just in the last month she has gotten more since my parents are staying with us and my dad loves feeding her. So it's hard to say if it's change.

Comment

Originally posted by lorie View Post
            I wish I could remember where I read it so I could back up this statement, but Ice is not good for dogs. The explanation was clear, I just wish I could remember it....now it's gonna drive me nuts , i guess I'll google it.
            If I remember right, it said that ice is just too cold for them to process that quickly, and it can cause their stomach to cramp

Comment

I found what I read, it was a case where a show person gave her dog some ice at a show and he got bloat.(they saved the dog)
              But, it was someone's story, not something that had been documented repeatedly...

Comment

thanks for looking it up. I googled it also and only found a story about it. I will be moving back to MI where I have my excellent vet and can't wait to ask him

Comment

I've heard claims that ice isn't good for dogs. Personally, I think it's just someone's opinion based on an isolated case. I have given my dogs ice all of my life. So does just about everyone I know, including vets. Never had a problem.

The vomiting could be caused by spasm/cramps. But it could also be something like acid indigestion. I know if I drink something when my stomach is empty I'll get bad nausea and heartburn.

Comment

bad

i heard giving ice to a dog can cause death!! i dont remember which orgin it can harm, but DO NOT give your dogs ice! your dog may have been experiencing a brain freeze! i know i have seen dogs foam at the mouth and worse. if you want to give an icy treat; puree a bananna, organic greek yogurt and another fruit like blue beries. freeze in ice cube trace and give occasionally.

Originally posted by shaggy_dog View Post
                    It seems that every time Molly my sheepdog eats ice she gets sick almost instantly. Our dogs LOVE ice. if you put it in your glass they hear it and come running it's a low calorie treat for them. But lately if Molly gets one she gets sick. My husband accidentally dropped half an ice cube and she got it. She no sooner ate it and got sick. So we don't give them to her on purpose, I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. She is completely health other wise

Comment

My dog can't have ice, it always makes him puke. Mostly I think it is because he tries to swallow it whole, which is odd because if you give him a bitty treat he chews it for ten minutes. I never rule out the "hes a dork" option because, well, he is! Ask your dad to give him fewer ice treats and more walkies as treats, its win win.

Comment

My late Shih Tzu always used to play, "soccer" with ice cubes with his front feet if I dropped/gave him an ice cube.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

[QUOTE=pawsonwheels;403322]i heard giving ice to a dog can cause death!! i dont remember which orgin it can harm, but DO NOT give your dogs ice! your dog may have been experiencing a brain freeze! QUOTE]

Brain freeze? In dogs? I don't think so. And "brain freeze" actually has nothing to do with the brain, anyway. It's from pressing something cold against the roof of your mouth, like we do when we eat ice cream or popsicles fast. Dogs chew ice, they don't suck on it and press it into the roof of their mouths.

Now, I also have to say this. Don't go spreading that kind of stuff around when you have no documentation. Because in spite of what you heard, ice isn't going to cause death in an otherwise healthy dog. I don't say it will never cause death, because there's always that rare individual who is the exception to the rule. But this is how urban myths get started, and if you can't site referances, it's just a myth.

Comment

Mine does too!

My Basengi mix dog, Felix, also loves ice cubes. Whenever some fell on the floor, he was there in an instant and ate them like they were treats. He has done this for years. He is nearly 10 years old now, I think. Then, about 8 months or so ago, he started throwing up when he ate them. At first we didn't make the connection to ice cubes. Just thought he was sick or something. He doesn't really get ice cubes all that often. But we started noticing that he threw up right after he had some ice. It has happened maybe 5-10 times in the last 8 months, but it was always after eating ice. This weekend a cube fell on the floor and broke in 2 or 3 pieces. He maybe ate a piece of the cube and within a minute he was starting to puke. He had eaten within a couple hours before that so his stomach was not empty. Its weird. And he used to eat them just fine with no puking. My sister is a good vet of about 15 years and I asked her about it this weekend after it happened. She seems stumped and is pondering on it. But I was interested to hear that other people have noticed this phenomenon. Sure would like to know why it happens because this was not always the case with poor Felix.

Comment

Working...
                            X