My schn. "Chutney"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My schn. "Chutney"

My husband was walking my, over 13 year old, schn. "Chutney" in the lot behing the shop and she apparently passed out all of a sudden. He thought she just up and died and he picked her up and she came to and seems to be fine since, other than being an old dog. That was yesterday.

She does have a heart murmur, which the vet told me she had about a little over a year ago and I had never been told that before, even after she had been severely torn up by my own Aussies about 8 years ago. My daughter told me that one of her old aussies use to do that when he was around 13 or 14. It is unknown how he ended up dying because he took off one day and she could not catch him or find him. He was totally sinile. She lives in a rural area where there are nothing but irrigated pastures and logging mills and the freeway.

So Helly, have you see this in old dogs and do you think it may be her heart causing it?

Comment

My friend had a greyhound who started passing out suddenly then would wake up w/in a few seconds. It turned out to be her heart misfiring. I can't remember if there was and medication prescribed for it or not....I will ask her when I talk to her.
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

It could possibly be heart-related...you could have your vet perform an EKG, which could give you more information, perhaps even leading to a diagnosis. Also, it could be a seizure he is experiencing...If it were my dog, I would request a thorough exam, bloodwork, and an EKG esp. knowing he has a murmur.

Comment

In a 13 year old dog, I'd also suspect it's heart related, possibly congestive heart failure. Does she have any other symptoms, like a cough or distended belly? I'd get an EKG and some blood work done.

If she were a youngster, I'd consider narcolepsy, but that usually appears way before the age of 13.

Comment

She has been OK for the last week now. She never coughs. Her stomach is distended, but it isn't as big as it was, as she has lost a little bit of weight, as she has been somewhere over weight. I have noticed this past year that she has lost most of her hearing. She seems to see OK. She is always hungry, but doesn't drink a lot of water, and is still very well house broken, and still the best schn. to groom ever.

She is due for a check up, as she had a full blood panel a year ago, and one year before that. She was sick when she got the first one, as she was put on antibiotics for liver problems, but last year her blood panel was good. Her sister up and died about 3 years ago, which my mother owned.

Comment

About Chutney.....

Cute name.... I have been grooming a small mini Schnauzer named madeline. Her tummy got very distended like a little volley ball because she has ,I think it is cushings disease. If she is still alive....Bones except for belly. She can't last much longer. I gave her her last groom two weeks ago. Your Chutney needs to see a vet. Has she been lately? How old is she. madeline is 14, but has had this tummy more than a year.She has been on medication. until recently, she followed the girls upstairs like she was one of them. Her owner said she can't walk upstairs and is slowing down...different uninteresed in things.The daughter is maybe 10 and grew up with her. She and her friends love her and don't see the skeleton she has become. Always sad.I think Madeline doesn't know she is a dog. They have another dog, a chihuawhua...but it seems Madeline is special to the girl.Good luck w/ your Chutney....keep me posted.

Comment

Well, congestive heart failure can cause fluid to build up in the lungs, which causes a cough, especially when they get stressed. It also causes fluid in the abdomen, and they get that pot bellied look. So if she does have CHF, which is quite common in elderly schnauzers, it's probably not too advanced, seeing as she's not coughing. There are medications that will help manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmtn View Post
                  My husband was walking my, over 13 year old, schn. "Chutney" in the lot behing the shop and she apparently passed out all of a sudden. He thought she just up and died and he picked her up and she came to and seems to be fine since, other than being an old dog. That was yesterday.

She does have a heart murmur, which the vet told me she had about a little over a year ago and I had never been told that before, even after she had been severely torn up by my own Aussies about 8 years ago. My daughter told me that one of her old aussies use to do that when he was around 13 or 14. It is unknown how he ended up dying because he took off one day and she could not catch him or find him. He was totally sinile. She lives in a rural area where there are nothing but irrigated pastures and logging mills and the freeway.
                  I had a husky once that I had in the tub and she just fell over and passed out. I rushed her to the vet. He said her blood pressure was so low that she passed out. Although, I do not know why her blood pressure was so low.

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                    I had a husky once that I had in the tub and she just fell over and passed out. I rushed her to the vet. He said her blood pressure was so low that she passed out. Although, I do not know why her blood pressure was so low.
                    Sometimes it's just a question of temperature. Some dogs will experience a drastic drop in blood pressure from very warm water. And if memory serves me right, there's a nerve in the throat area that can be affected by a strong spray of warm water. They tell elderly people, or people with heart disease, not to aim a shower massage directly at their neck, because it can cause a drop in blood pressure and fainting.

Comment

Well, I thought I should let everyone know that the vet says that her heart mur mur is very bad. I didn't even know she had one till a couple of years ago, and certainly didn't know it was that bad. He was surprised that she didn't have a cough.

She passes out almost everytime she goes outside to do her business now. I have to keep her from getting too excited. The vet told me that there is know pain involved, but I feel sorry that she can't ever play now without get lite headed and dizzy. She knows now when it is going to happen and she just stands there till she can compose herself again, which sometimes takes a while.

Am I being selfish to keep her going like this? She is still very much in control of her senses, except for hearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X