Shih Tzu Constant Licking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shih Tzu Constant Licking

My client's Shih Tzu has been constantly licking herself around her mouth for the past 2 months. She went to the vet and they think that the hair stuck maybe too long and got caught in her mouth. Can this be possible? I also noticed she has lots of tear stain and it smells. Her tonsil is 3x swollen from doing this. I hinted that it may be the food but the owner told me that she's been on the same diet for years. I will try to trim the mouth area shorter in hope that it'll solve the problem. But for the time being what may cause her to constantly lick her mouth like that? Please advice... Much thanks

I have seen it with both hair in the mouth and when the dog had a loose tooth..

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeMom View Post
      I have seen it with both hair in the mouth and when the dog had a loose tooth..
      >>>

or a rotton tooth or an abscess, or a slab fracture. I'd definitely have a vet check that. Shih's are lickers anyway, often sticking their tongues out when you least expect it, when youare trimming their face. I either tuck their tongues in their mouth and hold their mouth closed, or hold their tongue when I'm doing a close trim on a face. I've had them lick the blade, and I've discovered tongues bleed a ot!

Comment

allergies

The dog could totally be allergic to its food. People can develop allergies to things they have been exposed to over a period of time...so can dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGroom View Post
          I also noticed she has lots of tear stain and it smells. Her tonsil is 3x swollen from doing this.
          OK first off , I bet the glands are not swollen from her licking, but rather she is licking becaue of it. It would be hard to swallow with a gland that swollen. Excessive tearing that smells and swollen glands are indicitive of a problem. She needs a second opinion. I seriously doubt food or hair is the problem, more likely a major issue, like an abcess or even cancer. BUT when my throat hurts, I have major sinus issues as well most of the time. This dog needs a vet that will look at the real problem.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X