My first matted mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first matted mess

Okay I'm a newbie. Today I get a call from a lady in tears. She says that the guardner let out her 2 maltese before Christmas and she got the male back but the female is still missing. She says he is a matted and she called the vet and was told that he would have to be "medicated" when they work on him. Shes is crying and asks if I can do anything. I tell her to bring him over and I will see. I know you all have probably seen a dog in this condition and worse, but I can't get the little guy off my mind. Her story didn't all add up to me but regardless, I said I would get the mats out which I did. The little guy was so happy afterwards he was a bundle of energy. What I found odd, was that when she came to pick him up, along with her 2 small children, the dog was not excited to see his "mom" at all. It could of been anyone. And what is also strange is that he did not shake the whole time he was with me thoughout the whole ordeal, but started shaking when they got here. They said, oh he is cold. I said no, he is is just nervous. I told them he needs to come back every 6 weeks so he doesn't get in this condition again. She promised to keep up a scheduled grooming for the little guy. Anyway, just thougt I would vent. I'm hoping the best for the little guy. I would adopt him in a second!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dbarcreations<3westies; 01-02-10, 10:06 PM.

I can't see the pics, but I am sure they looked like other messes we have all seen, that the gardner, kids, MIL let out. Or the ones who "Oh my god we went out oftown for the weekend and we left them with friends the didnt brush him" Oh we have all heard it, and more. We know it has been a year since you looked down at your dog and said uh-oh you needs a groomins

DISGUSTING sometimes isn';t it.
    If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

Methinks you may have just had your first entry for funniest excuses my dog is matted. The gardener let him just before Xmas? I would say excuse me ,do you mean Xmas of 07,or 08? People will come up with any nutty story,and make the rounds,of groomers. Good for you getting the pelt off safely,and making him look cute. Maltese are one of my scarier dogs to groom when they are in terrible condition due to their delicate,thin,and pink skin. It takes skill,and carefulness to get a nice comfort clip out of a matted maltese!
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

That dog has been matted for a VERY long time, not since just before Xmas. Dont hold your breath for her to keep on a schedule, just cross your fingers that things improve for that little dog. You did a great job getting that mess off, he looks happy and cute.

Comment

I've worked with and shown a lot of Maltese. The matting on the dog you did was not the result of the dog running loose for a couple of days. That dog hasn't seen a brush and comb for months. It is just a OAY dog they take to a different shop every time they want it shaved down.

We get that sort in, too. The usual song and dance the owners give us is that they found the dog running the streets, decided to keep it and wanted to get it cleaned up, poor baby.

That story usually falls apart when the "new" owner forgets to take off the collar with the rabies tags.

Comment

He looks so cute! He has the most precious face. Great job.

Comment

Oh my that is one of the worst Maltese I have seen and there is really nothing to him under there he is skinny.

Comment

Oooh that's awful. I try to work with the owner first which includes a "talk" about the awful effects of that kind of matting and how it hurts the dog. I ask them to contact me before it gets like that again and might add "because the humane society could take a dog away in that condition" (somebody on the board here gave that great advice).

Most of the time I actually get a decent response from them and they do reschedule, however, you might want to ask the humane society to check on the dog in 6 or 8 months after showing them the pictures and have them talk to the owner if necessary. I sometimes make allowances depending on the dogs age, owner's condition (elderly?), and their response.
                A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I plan

on following this one up. In 5 weeks I will be calling them, reminding them that it is time to bring the little guy back in. I didn't believe her story. Mats like that do not happen in that time frame. The lady was clearly upset by the condition of her dog, I just hope she was upset enough to not let it happen again. Like I said I will be calling her to remind her of the situation and I do have the pictures if she needs a reminder.

Comment

to mydogmissy

no she was a young mom probably in her twenties. She came in with twin boys about 3 to 4 years old and a newborn baby in tow. I did give her some printed information on matting and she did seem more than willing to get him on a schedule. Only time will tell and she will be hearing from me if I don't hear from her.

Comment

humpfh! shots must be due. those kids are why he was shaking.

Comment

Hope you get the little guy back. If she can afford a gardener, she can afford a groomer.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Question

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                          I've worked with and shown a lot of Maltese. ...

That story usually falls apart when the "new" owner forgets to take off the collar with the rabies tags.
                          What does OAY dog mean?

www.doggiestylesgroomingsalon.com

Comment

I was wondering

the same thing. It might mean "once a year" dog. That I could believe.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarcreations<3westies View Post
                              the same thing. It might mean "once a year" dog. That I could believe.
                              Yup. When you are starting your business it is hard cause you will get more than your share of these,and other problem dogs/clients/. but of course it is very good experience,and in time you can be more selective .I've had them as bad as 5 years with no grooming.
                              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                              Quote:Cath

Comment

Working...
                              X