Chow Chow with recurring staph infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chow Chow with recurring staph infection

Hi all, I groom a Chow Chow monthly, and about every 5 months she gets a staph infection. This has been going on for the last couple years. Is there a good shampoo I could use to help with this? What underlying issues would keep causing this to come back? She gets swellings on her hip, then crusty skin appears. When I dry her, black skin is all over the wall when I'm done. What is that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much. She also has a limp in her front leg that the family and vet never know why she has it. Any thoughts on this?

In Chows, the most common reason for a limp in the front end is elbow dysplasia. It is present in at least 60% of the breed if you go by OFA stats. It is diagnosed by a simple x-ray. Affected dogs can often be made more comfortable with medications, but sometimes surgery is necessary. One thing for sure, if a chow is limping, it really hurts. Most are so stoic that it has to be bad before they give you any signs that they hurt.

For the skin thing, I would want to check the thyroid to be sure it is in the mid to high normal range. Low normal or below is low for a chow. Most skin issues in chows tend to lean towards a thyroid issue. Remember, if the thyroid is low, it affects their entire immune system. Good news is that checking thyroid, and the subsequent ongoing medications are fairly inexpensive (in terms of ongoing vet care.)

Comment

Thanks so much....

Thanks for responding. I will tell the owner about the dysplasia. Yes I agree, Chows have to be in a lot of pain to be limping, and I have read about the Thyroid connection with the bacterial infections. She has had her thyroid checked, but it was normal. Ill tell the owner to recheck it. She said her vet is never concerned and just keeps giving her antibiotics. But I think she should get to the root of why she keeps getting infections. Cant be good to keep giving her antibiotics all the time. Once again, thanks so much. Ruthie

Comment

"Normal" can mean a lot of things. Many vets will consider the thyroid "normal" if it is anywhere near the range reported as normal. And, many vets consider each breed the same. I suggest having the thyroid test evaluated by Dr Jean Dodd's lab. Google it and you will come up with contact info. She is definitely the leader in thyroid studies and how it really effects dogs.

If I had a vet that just kept throwing pills at a problem, I'd be seeking a different vet.

Comment

Thanks again

Yes you're right. I wouldn't want a vet that just kept giving the dog pills either. Thanks so much for the input. Ruthie

Comment

Working...
          X