Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dog I groomed yesterday in the ER, any idea what it could be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog I groomed yesterday in the ER, any idea what it could be?

I work at a very large boarding kennel. Yesterday I did two schnauzers from the same family who had been there for 2 weeks. When I was walking them down from their kennel I noticed the boys rear end looked like he had been chewing it (red discolored hair) and the girl working kennel stopped me and said his butt looked "weird" and to take a closer look at it. When I got to the groom room it looked like there was a little bit of dried blood on his hair, so I called back up to the girl to see if there was blood anywhere in their kennel. She said the dogs poop looked normal, but there were a few little drops of blood around the kennel. At this point I talked to my manager about what was going on, she said to continue the groom and that it was probably due to stress.
    So I wet him down, and notice he is bleeding from his front leg, very very tiny cut, didn't see a scab. Everything went normal, didn't notice anything else in the tub.
    Got the dog on my table, started off doing a rear sanitary trim, and now that the hair was shorter I could see a rash or bruising back there. Did belly sani, noticed the same thing. Blade was freshly cleaned and oiled before doing any of this so I knew it wasn't from that. His body looked normal, head also had what looked like bruises on the more prominent spots on his head, chest also had spots. At this point the owner was called to see if they had changed foods or something, they decided to wait and see what happens and if things continue to go to the vet. Finished the groom, his behavior was normal, wasn't pooping blood or anything like that.
    So today another one of the managers called me to find out more information about the whole thing, and says that the dog is now at the ER, with internal bleeding, blood coming out of both ends, and the vet is saying the marks on his body are bruises. Anyone have experience with anything like this? I know I didn't cause this to happen, but it sure doesn't feel good to be involved with it. I even mentioned to the manager yesterday that I hoped it wasn't something serious, because it did look like bruising to me and that I've heard so many horror stories online of groomers finding stuff like this, having it checked out and it turns out it is a serious health concern.
    I hope everything turns out alright for this poor dog : /

There are many conditions that could cause internal bleeding and bruising. Particentral recently posted about her incounter with dog who had lupus.
    You did everything right and you notified you managers about you findings, so it is not you fault at all.

Comment

I'd be worried about Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC). Can be accute or chronic. Odds are not the kennel's fault, but stress is often a huge factor.

This is one I would give a heads up to my insurance agent. Odds may not be good and this is one where the owner may come back at the kennel.

Comment

it could also be thrombocytopenia
        low platelets needs

Comment

update:

so the vet ran some tests and said that his blood seemed normal, clotting how it should and what not, they don't think the dog got into poison or anything, and now they think he has some sort of autoimmune issue, and they do not believe we caused any of the problems, so that much is good, hopefully everything turns out fine for the dog.

Comment

Thank God! I worked at a kennel for years and it's a horrible feeling knowing that you will be the first to blame if something goes wrong. It seems like it only takes a few bad stories and the reputation for all animal caregivers is bruised. I'm glad everything worked out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by terrimeyers View Post
              Thank God! I worked at a kennel for years and it's a horrible feeling knowing that you will be the first to blame if something goes wrong. It seems like it only takes a few bad stories and the reputation for all animal caregivers is bruised. I'm glad everything worked out for you!
              me too! I know exactly what you are talking about

Comment

Autoimmune will give them internal bleeding. It will make them look bruised all over.

Comment

I'm not diagnosing,just had an experience with an autoimmune anemia type disorder in my dog many years ago. Sounds similar,and stress can definitely precipaitate a crash that was going to happen anyway.
                  "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                  Quote:Cath

Comment

I used to groom a dog with an autoimmune disease that caused this. Sometimes she would be fine, sometimes when wet I could see the bruising starting up and the vet would need to treat her immediately because she would go downhill very quickly.

Comment

This made me think of a scotty that we did a dental on years ago. Dog looked and acted fine until about half way threw his dental his gums began to bleed and wouldn't stop. At one point in time we thought we were going to loose him between the anesthesia and all of the blood loss. We couldn't wake him up until we got the bleeding to stop. Not to mention he wasn't that friendly and no one wanted to loose any fingers. Long story short, we got the bleeding to stop and after we talk to the owners they mentioned that he had recently gotten into rat poison. Thanks, thanks for nothing. Would have been nice to know that before. Its amazing the things people forget to tell the vets and groomers. Your case definitely could be some form of anemia but it made me think of my rat poison dog.

Comment

Sounds like RMSF (rocky mountain spotted fever) or Autoimmune

Comment

Sounds like RMSF (rocky mountain spotted fever) or Autoimmune

Comment

Working...
                          X