Weirdest Poop Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirdest Poop Ever

Ok... have any of you seen this? Poo so dry that when it hits the floor, it crumbles into powder?

Older neutered male Beauvier x Terrier, copious amount of urine and had several bowel movements while in the shop. Each of them were SO dry that they didn't squish - they shattered. They were not stuck in his fur - we actually watched them leave his rectum.

We collected samples to give to Mom, and called to ask whether or not this was normal for him. She didn't have any idea of whether this was normal for his bowel movements so she made an appointment to take him to the vet immediately after his groom.

Vet didn't believe that his feces left his body that dry until he gloved up and went up and came out with a finger covered in feces powder. He went online and googled and searched and even asked some online vet friends and no one knows what to make of it. No other clinical signs of dehydration; nothing abnormal on initial exam today although it will take a while for bloodwork to come back.

Anyone seen this before?

I did groom a little dog that had 2 little poops that were as hard as kibble, kinda were the same size too. Never heard of the powder thing. Does the owner feed raw? I have seen raw poops that do that after a day or 2 of sitting outside. I hope that poor dog is ok.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

Comment

I have never seen this this severe,,we used to have a WFT that would have white or gray and "powdery" stools about the consistency of dry oatmeal but it held together in form--as if they were kind of like the calcium portion of reptile feces (reptiles "poo" out a calcium dropping separate from the darker portion all in the same session...) from time to time or at least when I would notice. He was very old when I remember him doing this, and he constantly ate raw butcher's bones- but I don't know that that had anything to do with it. I am interested in hearing how this unfolds! Do keep us posted!
      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

poor fellow. That has to be uncomfortable. I hope he -has- been eating a lot of bone; it's not unusual to get chalky stool after ingesting bones, especially if they're not accustomed to much.
        I hope he's OK.

Comment

When my dogs vere raw fed they sometimes would pass very dry poops like that and "sand".

Comment

I have seen this! Thought it was the oddest thing too. GSD on a raw diet. Ate one 2 lb "chub" every night with a few tablespoons pumpkin. (I work in the boarding part of a vet clinic) For two years almost every BM went poof upon impact. Just a few months ago the owner changed the diet to a dry kibble and canned food. Normal BM. Not sure if its related to diet but the timing between the two is right on.

Comment

Nope,not raw diet. I'm thinking kidneys must be involved, especially with how much urine he had. At any rate, I think its safe to say the fluid in his body is out of balance. Too much in his bladder and not enough in his colon.

Comment

I was thinking a raw diet too.

Bev, keep us posted on this, it's interesting to learn something new about a dog's system. When we have a client come in with the same problem, we (groomers) can look REALLY smart!

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SPCABev View Post
                  Nope,not raw diet. I'm thinking kidneys must be involved, especially with how much urine he had. At any rate, I think its safe to say the fluid in his body is out of balance. Too much in his bladder and not enough in his colon.
                  I'm with Spikey- I hope you'll post updates, this is very interesting. In the meantime, I do hope he's OK.
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by SPCABev View Post
                    I'm thinking kidneys must be involved, especially with how much urine he had. At any rate, I think its safe to say the fluid in his body is out of balance. Too much in his bladder and not enough in his colon.
                    Forgot about that part. She peed like a race horse.

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                      He was very old when I remember him doing this, and he constantly ate raw butcher's bones- but I don't know that that had anything to do with it. I am interested in hearing how this unfolds! Do keep us posted!
                      raw bones definitely do this- they dry brush the colon...

Comment

Working...
                      X