Has anyone had this in their dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had this in their dog?

Has anyone had a little terrier,or mini Schnauzer tht just startedhopping on 3 legs first day, then collapses second..meds, then up like normal...off meds 1 day back to collapse. On Pred,can stand if stackeda little but can't iniate getting up out of bed to walk. No fever if 101 is normal. Eats,drinks,sleeps. Seems depressed. Warm here..want to clean him up for vet tomorrow..maybe he will feel better smelling good. I think they get more respect clean. After all, I am a groomer..got all I need for it. Please RSVP.

Sounds like a neurological or neuromuscular problem. Degenerative myelopathy maybe?

My other thought was polyradicularneuritis, also known as coonhound paralysis. Most dogs develop the disease after being bitten or scratched by a raccoon, but it's also been noticed after a viral infection or after vaccinations. One dog I know developed the disease after contact with a dead raccoon he found lying in the road.

The symptoms are progressive weakness, sometimes paralysis in the hind limbs. As the disease progresses the weakness extends forward into the body and front legs. Some dogs will need to be hand fed, or tube fed. Soft bedding must be provided to prevent bed sores from developing. Most dogs retain the ability to urinate and deficate, but will need to be supported for potty breaks. Sometimes expressing the bladder is necessary. Sometimes they do lose control, and you need to keep them clean of urine and feces.

The bad news is there's no cure. Treatment is supportive care and physiotherapy only. The good news is that most dogs recover completely in time. A few will develop mild long term neurological deficits, but not significant enough to affect their quality of life.

Comment

Thank you Helly, I was going to ask you di.rectly.Due to enzyme thing for muscles in blood test...think it is degenerative muscle myelopathy. How do you know how to spell them...then actually type them correctly? As for raccoons, or any animals...no live in subburb of PHX. none here altho oddly Leisure world.and other nearby 55+ gated res. have rabbits and even coyotes on golf corse at times...no dogs attacked that Iknow of.Just not likely on my st. only goes out on cement patio. Dead grass now in yard..they never want to stay out ..even in great weather. I always wondered how they survive on dry d. food. He should heve been on efa, vit etc w/ daily walks all these 11 yrs. My fault.If his sweet lil heart is strong, and meds casn keep him up for pottie time, no pain..I won't pull the plug so-to-speak. No Lyme disese likely or ticks in my vacinity. Thought of spider...how could you find bite site?Scorpions csn do big damage to a dog, but youwould see bump and bruise. Pain. I"ve seen human arms w/scorpion sting.. Dogs can die fast. I wish Ihad a printer toprint your reply. Let you know tomorrow..Hope tears won't be blindingme to type. Keep your paws crossed. I love him ssooooo much.

Comment

Edited.
        Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Actually, polyradicularneuritis can be a sequela of a viral infection. And I thought there was some mention in a previous post of the dog running a fever and concerns about encepalitis or meningitis...maybe I'm confusing two different posts, though.

Raccoons are also very adaptive to living in suburban areas. I'd suspect raccoons of being more prevelant in suburban areas in Arizona, rather than rural areas. They live quite well from raiding trash cans and eating food left outside for dogs and cats. You might not see them, because of their nocturnal habits, but they're probably there.

Ming, I learned to spell all those words in college, mostly in medical terminology classes, which are required for medical office administration, medical transcription, insurance billing/coding, and most anything related to the medical field. Once you learn the basic roots, how they combine and their meanings, you can pretty much figure out how to spell almost anything.

I did insurance billing/coding at a chiropractic office for 3 years, so I got lots of practice spelling and typing them. I can practically do it in my sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
            Due to enzyme thing for muscles in blood test...think it is degenerative muscle myelopathy. As for raccoons, or any animals...no live in subburb of PHX. none here altho oddly Leisure world.and other nearby 55+ gated res. have rabbits and even coyotes on golf corse at times...no dogs attacked that Iknow of.Just not likely on my st. only goes out on cement patio. Dead grass now in yard..they never want to stay out ..even in great weather. No Lyme disese likely or ticks in my vacinity. Thought of spider...how could you find bite site?Scorpions csn do big damage to a dog, but youwould see bump and bruise. Pain. Hope tears won't be blindingme to type. Keep your paws crossed. I love him ssooooo much.

I'm so sorry that your little guy isn't well. In your area it seems more likely that your dog would come into contact with a scorpion or possibly a black widow. Also another possibility in your area may be bullfrogs. Bullfrogs produce a substance which coats the frogs body and is toxic to mammals. Dogs can absorb the toxin through their gums. Often neurological signs can develop from bullfrog toxicity. Here is a website that lists possible dangers to dogs in your area. Maybe it can help you with some additional insight into what could be affecting your poor little guy. http://host158.ipowerweb.com/~littlecr/indexArizona.htm I hope that you are able to learn what is causing his illness and that he recovers soon. Best of luck to you and your sweet little fur baby.

Comment

Edited.
              Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X