Holes in skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in skin

Hi I have been grooming now for just under a year. Sence I started we at the shop I am apprenticeing at have come across sevral dogs with holes in their skin. They mesure any were from 1/4- 3/4 of an inch in diamater usuley the holes have a dried out creamchees like pus in them. They don't loook like screw worms though. Has anyone else seen these befor or know what it is?
    Thanks for you insights

The only thing I can think of is sebaceous (sp?) cysts. I groomed a dog once that was covered in them and as I shaved her they kept opening up. They were really disgusting, I want to vomit just thinking of them, and I have a pretty strong stomach!

Comment

they are sebaceous cysts. those dogs should be seen by a vet because they can become infected.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Thanks! Do you know what causes them? Poor diet bad health ect?

Comment

we may be refering to a different thing here but from what i have seen with many aging dogs these cyst can appear just like acne in humans.dirty coats or clogged pores due to residues will also cause this

Comment

A sebaceous cyst forms from a blocked sebaceous gland. It's really just a big zit. And just like zits on humans, there can be many reasons for the gland to get blocked. If they pop, they can (and usually do) get infected. Sometimes they need to be surgically removed.

Comment

Gross... But thank you all I now have some info for those customers that have dogs with these cysts.

Comment

That is so strange that you have had several dogs like this in a relatively short period of time. I wonder if there might be some other common cause? I would probably ask for a vet release if a dog returned with this condition myself. It sounds like something that deserves a vet diagnosis and treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                  That is so strange that you have had several dogs like this in a relatively short period of time. I wonder if there might be some other common cause? I would probably ask for a vet release if a dog returned with this condition myself. It sounds like something that deserves a vet diagnosis and treatment.
                  It's not all that strange. It's a common problem, especially in older dogs or dogs with oily skin. Cockers seem to be quite prone to them. Vet's usually don't do anything about them unless they get infected.

Comment

You are right Helly. I think that because I have worked around types of dogs that are less likely to get sebaceous cysts, it seemed like quite a few cases to me. I would still be concerned about these cysts because they have ruptured. Infection also concerns me when grooming. My corporate training makes me very liability cautious. I really admire your experience and knowlege. I'm curious if you would recommend a vet check for them if they were your clients? Thanks for your input and experience.

Comment

I have found that of my clients that have this problem, many are Shih Tzus. Is it no surprise that they are from pet shops? I am believe that it is a heriditaryily predisposed illness that can be exacerbated by shaving too short with a blade at times. What is funny is that I now have a 6 year old Bichon client that has never been shave that is suddenly now popping up with them. She, too, is a pet shop baby.

If I find these on my clients, I immediately notify their owners and highly suggest that they see the vet. Most will be put on antibiotics right away.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                        You are right Helly. I think that because I have worked around types of dogs that are less likely to get sebaceous cysts, it seemed like quite a few cases to me. I would still be concerned about these cysts because they have ruptured. Infection also concerns me when grooming. My corporate training makes me very liability cautious. I really admire your experience and knowlege. I'm curious if you would recommend a vet check for them if they were your clients? Thanks for your input and experience.
                        I recommend a vet check for anything that seems abnormal. Lumps, bumps, crusty skin, inflamed ears, you name it. And I never make any comment that could be construed as a diagnosis. I always say "Fluff's ears are red and itchy. There's a lot of debris down there. I'd suggest you have your vet take a peak at them. I didn't clean them because I don't want to remove the evidence, and if they're infected the vet may want to do a culture." Or if it's a lump, I just point it out and say they should have their vet evaluate it if he hasn't already done so. Even if I know for certain what it is.

Comment

many of these cysts can be recognized by a center pore just like a blackhead (ack)I have in my days removed(popped )many of these on my clients dogs(however I also worked for a vet)in most cases once the owners know what these are and how to heal them (dry them out) the pet shows less signs of them later on.i simply squeeze the goop out and yes its goop lol' after removing the goop i clean effected area with peroxide and always let the owners know this and to keep it clean daily.many times if left alone the pore becomes stretched and enlarged creating a large hole when finally removed.if a pore opening is not viewable i request owners to have it checked by vets to be sure it is only a cyst not a tumor.

majority of breeds i have encountered with this problem older poodles schnauzer and cockers..many other breeds get this as well but these are the most common I have seen . most having been shaved down with a #10 blade repetedly in the past

Comment

My Jax get big quarter-sized ones..sometimes pop open by self..blood and yuk..next day...Where did it go? Dried up...One surgery while I was at G. Canyon. Has a scar.no new ones yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X