Chronic Vomiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Vomiting?

Ok, I have a 2 ½ year old Doberman who has issues with chronic vomiting. Its been going on for quite sometime now. He has had a barium series done. It revealed nothing that would explain the problem. He has been placed on sucralfate and cimetidine. It doesn’t seem to help so I took him off of those meds. I feed him once daily, at night after I get in from work. He eats Canidae, which is a good food. Usually when he does this it’s midday. It doesn’t occur after he eats or drinks per say. Not to be graphic but its usually clear fluid, occasionally bile. He seems to feel good. His bloodwork comes back fine. He has always been an aggressive chewer since he was a young pup. I’ve always wondered if something is still stuck in there from a past toy he has demolished. But, I figured the barium series might have revealed that. It had slacked off for a while and just recently started up again. At one point it was so bad that we could tell him to “Wait” and we could sprint to the closet to get an old ratty towel and throw under his head and he would lean over and vomit in it to spare our carpet. I feel so bad for him when he does it. But like I said, he seems to feel great otherwise. Anyone have any idea what could be going on with him?

i would have him checked for pancreatitis. my min pin is prone to it. we watch his diet,i.e. my husband can't give him treats w/o my ok. the vet keeps him overnight and gives him fluids and something else ( i don't remember what), but the bloodwork should show something. everytime i see a puddle of what looks like water on the floor, i bring him over. fortunately we have always caught it early and he hasn't had a lasting problem.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Try feeding him 2 or 3 meals a day. Some dogs cannot handle an empty stomach, produce more acid and vomit clear fluids and bile. See if feeding several small meals help, bet they do.

Comment

I agree with trying to feed him more often. Clear fluid and bile indicate an emty stomach and some dogs' systems just can't handle that. If this were my dog, I would also be giving him frequent treats of plain yogurt, cottage cheese and pumpkin.

Comment

I agree w/katydid. My Boxer has stomach problems as well. She gets a gastric reflux type thing. She has been put on meds, but like with you, they really did not improve things so I took her off. I now give her a morning and lunch time snack (just a handful of her food) and she gets her "big" meal at night time. On the occasion that the snacks don't help and she still gets an upset tummy I give her 2 tums (vet suggestion).
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Have him checked for giardia. Oli used to do the same thing. Oli used to have giardia.

Comment

My dog has done that since the day I got him. I feed him 3 times a day and have his bowl raised up on a little tray. Also no dry food, no hard cookies. He gets Innova canned food. Give your dog a few saltines crackers before he goes to sleep. My dog loves to eat paper, especially money. Once he ate a $50 bill. I even caught him with his nose in my wallet! He has other issues with his thryoid. Maybe you should have the vet check that. On his meds and with his meal plan, he is doing great. Maybe it's his digestion. Does he burp a lot. My dog has a reflux as well. Hope this helps.
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try to feed him a couple more times a day to see if that helps. He just seems to have a sensitive stomach. Someone asked if he burps. He does occasional, but its usually after he’s tried to down his entire water dish. He’s always been a big water drinker. I do have a question for Helly. What is giardia. I’ve never heard of that before. Is it something that is treatable?

Comment

Originally posted by Shampooch View Post
                  I do have a question for Helly. What is giardia. I’ve never heard of that before. Is it something that is treatable?
                  Giardia are waterborne protazoa. Diagnosis is usually made from a stool sample, (there's also an ELISA test) but sometimes you have to check several in order to find it, especially if the dog has a very mild case. The most common symptom is diarrhea, but Oli didn't have diarrhea, just the vomiting. They only found 3 in Oli's stool sample. It's very treatable.

Oli took oral meds, and once the giardia was cleared up, he stopped vomiting bile. Hasn't done it since.

Comment

Travi had teeth cleaned in Sept blood test required ok..Is the pancreititis a dif test? Ill ask what they think. But Halle my baby does it too...seems after paper snack w/ her

Comment

Sometimes I am busy and diiner late for dogs.. I think it coulkd br related.Sometimes I can't remember if I fed them dinner....is that odd? If tummy fat. Or they beg ,I figure whats another dinner now n then? Easier breakfast more routine. I think they wait too long sometimes,now that you mention it. Travi also spits up food if I've been crying or yelling at something.

Comment

When I used to work for a vet, he was usually able to diagnose pancreatitis by just doing a comprehensive panel and CBC. Every time blood work has been checked on my guy it’s always come back fine. I think I’ll try giving him some snacks throughout the day, and have a fecal checked on him like Helly suggested. He just started having diarrhea last night and all throughout the day today. And one thing I've noticed but didn't think to mention is he is a huge grass eater. I have to cut his outside playtime short because thats all he wants to do. If we go for a walk he's fine, but just running loose in the yard he turns into a cow.

Comment

diet

The min pin we adopted from the shelter couldn't keep much down.

Seemed like anytime he ate up it came.

We did the barima thing, the stomach scope thing. Nothing.

THen we tried putting him on zd ultra from the vet.

He is fine. Never throws up anymore.

But no treats, or its barf city.

Seems he has an alergy to some proteins.

The ultra breaks the protein down so small the body does not recognize it.

You should see him now. Slick as a mole, and happy as a clam.

you might give it a try. Can't hurt him, and it Chicken liver.

He just loves it.!

Comment

Crying or yelling...

Edited.
                            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-19-07, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                              Giardia are waterborne protazoa. Diagnosis is usually made from a stool sample, (there's also an ELISA test) but sometimes you have to check several in order to find it, especially if the dog has a very mild case. The most common symptom is diarrhea, but Oli didn't have diarrhea, just the vomiting. They only found 3 in Oli's stool sample. It's very treatable.

Oli took oral meds, and once the giardia was cleared up, he stopped vomiting bile. Hasn't done it since.
                              FYI, giardia is also something that humans can get, in dogs alot of them get it from standing icky water, in humans bad water wells etc
                              "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                              Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X