groomer asked by employer to pay part of bather salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• groomer asked by employer to pay part of bather salary

can an employer deduct $ from groomer to help pay for a bather the owner decided to hire? Groomer does not have enough dogs at this time to justify a bather, owner told her "too bad i need you to pitch in for bather" does anyone know if this is legal?

Not sure if this is legal but def not ethical. If there's no need for a bather, why'd your boss hire one? Typically bathers are hourly and their pay should come from the bath dogs they finish. So there needs to be a steady flow of bath only dogs along with groom dogs to be able to support a bather while fairly compensating groomers AND make profit for the business.

Comment

Originally posted by dgroom View Post
      can an employer deduct $ from groomer to help pay for a bather the owner decided to hire? Groomer does not have enough dogs at this time to justify a bather, owner told her "too bad i need you to pitch in for bather" does anyone know if this is legal?
      Are you saying the groomer did NOT use the services of the bather?

Comment

if any employer takes $ from your paycheck other than taxes contingency lawyers will love to take you case left and right

Comment

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
          Are you saying the groomer did NOT use the services of the bather?
          Good Point.
          It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

There has been two instances i have been aware of this happening. In one instance the salon did not offer a bather to their groomers and if they wished to have a bather they would have to cover the wages themselves which one groomer did. The other was where groomers are paid less commision % to cover for bathers helping but it balance out because the groomers were able to do more dogs.
            To hire a groomer at a certain wage and then doc that wage to pay for more employees may not be ethical, but if there is no contract in place and you are hired under a W-2 your employer can pay you what ever they wish, including docking pay. My pay was dropped 5% once because the employer decided after the fact that she couldn't afford to pay me what we originally agreed upon. The only way to fight it in NY is to sue at small claims and there is no guarantee you'd even win. Not worth it IMO.
            It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I can't see the logic is having on one dog. one person bathe the dog and another giving it a haircut. in my experience its Let some newbie traumatize the dog before I try to put clippers near it. if i'm going to groom a dog I want to do the whole thing,bath and all, knowing i dont have to check every little thing to make sure the bather did it correctly. Why add middlemen where they don't belong?
              I cant see it being more profitable than a groomer doing baths dog and haircut dogs. another groomer doing bath dogs and haircut dogs. and keep going on like that.

Comment

Working...
              X