Independent contractor?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent contractor?!

Has anyone ever been one ? I was just offered a job being one . I do not know how much I should ask for . They are offering 55% of sales to me. Anyone have any idea?!??!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

To be a LEGAL IC you are SELF EMPLOYED. You must often have your own business license, insurance, telephone, YOUR OWN CLIENTELE, not theirs, and file with the IRS and state govt as business owner, meaning you are going to pay your own payroll taxes.

Over 95% of all ICs in grooming are ILLEGALLY classified.

This forum http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...or-vs-Employee has lots of threads and discussions on this. Be careful At 55% you will make WAY less than a 50% groomer hired legally as an employee.

It is a terrible scam in our industry of THOUSANDS of owners to "hire" ICs.

I know many owners targeted by the IRS, they call for consultation. They get IRS bills in the tens of thousands, and one I know $200,000 ish. But thousands continue to do this. To be a true legal IC, where possible as some states don't allow them even, you must GROOM YOUR CLIENTELE. So if this person offering you the job is saying you will be grooming THEIR clientele, how can you be an IC? See?

Read all those threads. Glad you asked. We like to help groomers help to avoid this terrible blight on the grooming industry.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      To be a LEGAL IC you are SELF EMPLOYED. You must often have your own business license, insurance, telephone, YOUR OWN CLIENTELE, not theirs, and file with the IRS and state govt as business owner, meaning you are going to pay your own payroll taxes.

Over 95% of all ICs in grooming are ILLEGALLY classified.

This forum http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...or-vs-Employee has lots of threads and discussions on this. Be careful At 55% you will make WAY less than a 50% groomer hired legally as an employee.

It is a terrible scam in our industry of THOUSANDS of owners to "hire" ICs.

I know many owners targeted by the IRS, they call for consultation. They get IRS bills in the tens of thousands, and one I know $200,000 ish. But thousands continue to do this. To be a true legal IC, where possible as some states don't allow them even, you must GROOM YOUR CLIENTELE. So if this person offering you the job is saying you will be grooming THEIR clientele, how can you be an IC? See?

Read all those threads. Glad you asked. We like to help groomers help to avoid this terrible blight on the grooming industry.
      They stated in the contract, I would be responsible for my own supplies. Shampoo and such . They would provide the computer system as well as the customer base until my clients find me . They also do all pricing and I would split bather cost with them. I don't know how much I should actually tell them I want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

A self employed person sets the prices, not them. A self employed person has their own clientele, they are still saying you are grooming their clientele and I think you they would be a source of some of your clientele. A self employed person hires their own employees and has their own EIN as an employer. This is not a true IC position. Be careful.
        Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

What about your license and insurance? Are you ready to figure out, they don't, how much you pay the IRS and your state EVERY 3 months? You don't pay once a year like employees, you pay estimated taxes 4 times a year and then file your taxes. Do you know how to do that and how to figure it out. I agree with admin, this is not an IC position. I have several employees and none are IC because I follow the law. Some other shops around me do what you are doing, and one got closed down.

Comment

Admin is correct...this is not a true IC position. Everything you need to educate yourself is at www.irs.gov . This shop is just saving money on paying their taxes by misclassifying you. In the end you will pay the IRS the shops portion as well as your own.

Comment

Out of that 55% commission, you'll have to pay insurance and self-employment taxes which would leave you with something close to minimum wage. 55% is very generous if you were an EMPLOYEE, but definitely not if you're responsible for all of the expenses. They want to treat you like an employee without having to claim you as one. Very illegal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X