What am I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I

Help!! I have just started working for a groomer since I've completed school. I get paid by commission. I have my own tools she supplies everything else. I work in her shop. I am getting scared about taxes since reading some of the other posting on this site. I have not signed any agreements. what do I need to do? Help!!!! Am I an employee or an independent contractor

Duke

Check the IRS online and look up independent contractor or employee info. It list a lot of factors to determine what you are. I had a lot of problems with this with a former employer and she said we were independent but were really employees.
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Here in Connecticut you can't be an independent contractor if you are performing services where in the employers main place of business and if you are performing work by her/his rules and regulations.

You should be considered an employee and receive a W2 and your employer should be taking the taxes out of your weekly check. Did you fill out a with holding form when you were hired? Call your local emloyment labor department office and find out the laws regarding those situations.

I

Comment

Hi Duke!! Didn't your school cover this information? I didn't go to school, but I've always assumed they would teach this stuff as well as actual grooming. If they didn't I think they should have.

Comment

First of all you said some important words "You work in her shop"... this means you are an EMPLOYEE, I don't care what she says, if you were questioned by the IRS and said those exact words they would consider you an employee.

As for Daper, that is correct for all STATES, IC vs Employee is Federal not state. Per the law: you can not perform duties that are their main source of business (ie: groom in a grooming shop).

Comment

You should have been told at your interview

If you are an IC, she should have had you sign a contract before you started. Does she withhold any taxes? Do the clients pay you or her? If you are an IC, you should have your own business entity and your own insurance. If you want to know your statuts you can fill out IRS form SS-8.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

Comment

What am I

Thank you everyone for the great advice. She did not have me sign anything. She just told me that I will be responsible for my own taxes. Yes she gets paid by the clients and she pays me. I think I will look for another job.

Thank you all
              Duke

Comment

good move

First sign of a bad situation.

An employer should ALWAY take out your taxes.

Comment

Working...
                X