Ex-Employer refuses to give me a W-II even though he took out taxes, etc:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Employer refuses to give me a W-II even though he took out taxes, etc:

I called his mom (that was the standard chain of command there) & told her I had not received my W-II. She called back & said her son (the actual business owner on paper) claimed to have not only mailed me the form but, it was "return receipt requested" The problem with that fairy tale is I have a PO box for my legal address & my physical address is ONLY on my lease. Everything else gets a PO box address. The post office will not sign those kind of addresses.
    It is now April 2 & I need to file my taxes. I have the daily assignment sheets with the dogs that came in for play care, boarding & grooming along with who had to groom what dog, grooming directions & price of the groom. If need be is there a way to file WITHOUT the W-II but, send in these forms as proof of what I made? My employer DID take taxes, etc out of my checks & I probably have the last pay stub around here someplace, I'm just not sure I can find it before April 15. How much trouble am I going to be in & what do I do to stay out of it? There HAS to be a way to file anyway.
    Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 04-02-10, 05:25 PM.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

He can't legally refuse to give one to you, although if he's already sent one, he may choose to charge you a fee for a repeat. Even if he sent one to you, you had it in your hand, and then your dog ate it, the wind blew it away, or you simply lost it, if you contact your employer requesting a duplicate W2 they MUST give you one.

Here is a link to the IRS page explaining what to do if you don't get a W2 form from your employer. Basically, you call the IRS and report him and THEY will contact him for you.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc154.html

And of course, since it is the IRS, they have a form for you to fill out if you don't get your W2.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf

Personally, I would call the employer one more time and explain very clearly (and without emotion) that if you do not have a duplicate copy of your W2 in your hands by April 9th, that you will be calling the IRS to report the fact that your employer will not supply you with a W2. If he has any brain, you will have your W2 in time. If he doesn't have a brain, and chooses to push this by not supplying you with a W2, call the IRS. This isn't your fault, it's his. In the mean time, I'd be looking for that last pay stub because the form does ask questions.

If you are not able to solve the issue before the 15th, file an extension and keep working on it.

Comment

They have to have a copy on file,, or at least their account does,,, tell her you will be by on X day to pick up a copy, since the post office( snicker sicker) misplaced yours.

Comment

what swissnchow said.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

It is illegal for them to deny you a copy...

If they have it on their computer system, they should be able to email it to you. If it was done manually, I agree with another poster to tell them you will be in on a certain day to pick it up. You should definitely report them to the IRS if they will not provide it. Good luck!

Comment

I do not believe he ever sent me one. I believe he is perpetuating drama so I have to go by there & he can have further contact with me. I am not going to do that. I will phone the IRS Monday.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

I have filed without a W-2. I had the company's federal tax id (from the previous year's W-2) and I took the tax info off my last paycheck. Somewhere there was a line to explain why I was filing without a W-2. It was all pretty easy and straightforward.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

What happened?

SNP, did you get your W2?

Comment

I called the IRS & asked for advice. They sent him a letter requesting he send me the W-2. They also told me what forms to file to estimate my income.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                    I called the IRS & asked for advice. They sent him a letter requesting he send me the W-2. They also told me what forms to file to estimate my income.

If you know who his accountant is you can go to them for a copy. Ronni lost her W2 a few yrs ago and she was the one who had to call my accountant and request they get her a copy and then she had to go there physically and show her I.D. If I'm not mistaken she also had to sign something (which may be law or may just be my accountants own rule) stating why she needed a duplicate.

I hope the IRS sends your exboss a very stern and slightly scary letter. What a little twerp. I wonder what his mommy will have to say about the IRS being on his butt for such a petty issue.....lol
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                    X