Employee on commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee on commission

I work for a company doing mobile grooming. I have been here for 2 years and worked my way "up" to 30% commission. My dilema is that as more and more groomers are looking for jobs, my employer (who does all the scheduling) has been giving my regular customers to the new groomers he has been hiring. He says that he needs his customers to be ok with many different groomers. in the meantime i end up with not enough money to survive. he also expects us to attend staff meetings without pay, clean (deep cleaning) our trailers, have business discussions with us off the clock (I have asked him about the situation but he will only discuss it with me after work). This is my first grooming job and have nothing to compare it to. I was under the impression that commission work involved me being able to have and service my regular customers. I am unable to change the situation financially because i cannot make my own appts and he is not giving my the customers (even if they ask for me) I have been doing for 2 years. I think he's trying to get me to quit but have no idea why..

That is a really low commission for a mobile groomer IMHO.

I don't know what state you are in but even when you are paid by commisison in Connecticut the wage you make must equal at least minimum wage for the hours you work.

If it does not make it to our State's minimum wage including the hours you spend deep cleaning and attending meetings than we are entitled to pay until it does reach at least that but I would not perform grooming, deep cleaning and attend meetings for minimum wage myself.

You will have to check the laws in your State. If you have been questioning him about being paid for meetings and such and he is paying the new groomers less than you maybe he is trying to get you to quit for daring to ask him such questions and because you are expecting to be paid a fair wage.

That's how ungrateful some employers are and get the how dare you question me attitude no matter how long you've worked for them.

In any event it seems to me like he may have been taking advantage of you wage wise and now that you've caught on he's trying to scare you away.

Comment

omg ......

the girls in my shop would have me by my you know whats if I DARED try and give their dogs to a new groomer. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking of it.

Comment

30%? Well, if a shih tzu is $75, then 30% is not that bad.

Most of us are used to 50-60%, but if prices are HIGH, then 30% ain't bad.

But I do believe it is illegal to require you to come to meetings without pay. I suppose each state could have its own laws, but I know here in Utah, my boss pays me an hourly wage for staff meetings, which we have monthly.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Percentage makes no difference. The question is how many dollars are you making. As another posted, 30% of $75 for a mobile groomer is the same as 50% of $45 for a shop groomer. Assuming all of the upkeep, gas and supplies on the truck comes out of the owner's share, 30% is probably appropriate for a mobile groomer considering the expenses. If the owner isn't making a profit, you don't keep a job.

I would check the laws in your state to make sure the boss is legal, but in reality, there are many jobs where one would work on commission and though they only made commission on a sale or a service, they still must clean their area, take care of things and attend meetings as a part of being able to make that commission. If you consider the total hours you work, clean, attend meetings, etc and divide that into what you make, if you are over minimum it's probably legal. If you have not actually figured out how many hours you are working on a weekly basis, that is your first step towards determining fair pay.

There are many shops that do not allow "groomer specific" clients and their reasons are going to vary. If the client is "shop" specific rather than "groomer" specific, that client is far less likely to leave when the groomer decides to go somewhere else. Commission work simply means you take home a percentage of what you bring into the company. Every company is going to have a different set of rules for its employees.

All that said though, if you do not feel you are being paid what you are worth, you may wish to put some feelers out for a new job. Be careful, your current job may be your best option at this point in time, so don't burn bridges until you have somewhere to go. If you have 2 years of experience and feel you can develop a reliable clientelle and serve them well, it may be time to consider venturing out on your own.

If you want to stay with the company, then it may be time to discuss things with your boss, especially if they are hiring more groomers than the business supports (your comment of you not having enough income made me think, they are not keeping your schedule busy.) A raise is simply not a raise if you are not going to get enough dogs to fill your schedule. However, it may be that you are now more expensive than the boss feels you are worth. If they feel they can get the same quality work while paying someone else less to do it, well, that's business and the boss certainly is going to lose the loyalty of longer term groomers.

Comment

[QUOTE=SwissNChow;368534]Percentage makes no difference. The question is how many dollars are you making. As another posted, 30% of $75 for a mobile groomer is the same as 50% of $45 for a shop groomer. Assuming all of the upkeep, gas and supplies on the truck comes out of the owner's share, 30% is probably appropriate for a mobile groomer considering the expenses. If the owner isn't making a profit, you don't keep a job.

I don't understand. Shop groomers often have bathers, less strenuous set up, a consistent environment (no weather drama's)and a more flexible time table. Why is it not appropriate for a mobile groomer to make more money for more work?

Comment

Maybe you should organize a union.

Comment

I am mobile and have a mobile employee. I would never insult her by asking her to work for 30% commission. Yes, it might be the same as what she would make per dog in a salon but mobile groomers cannot do as many dogs per day, so in the end she'd be making a lot less. I pay 50% commission to her and my prices are not cheap. I would also never ask her to come to a meeting unpaid. I had a boss that did that and I flat out refused. Not to sound conceited, but I knew he wouldn't find anyone better and there was no way he'd fire me. The rest of the staff was paid (this was at a vet and they were hourly) and he didn't get why a 2 hour staff meeting in the middle of the day would cause me to have to do fewer dogs! I think you need to look for work elsewhere. I started at 35% commission as a junior groomer while I was apprenticing. Gosh, I pay my groomer just to drive the van around for advertising when we are slow and have never even asked her to deep clean the van, though we share it so it's something I do myself. Sounds like he's taking advantage of you.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I think 30% is low for a mobile groomer. Even if it pans out to the same as a shop groom you lose time on travel set up and clean up. I can understand the your boss not wanting you to have the same clients for business reasons, maybe he was burned already like that. Anyrate, perhaps you should think about shop grooming it could be a better fit, sounds like you are getting burnt out on the mobile thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cschell View Post
                    I work for a company doing mobile grooming. I have been here for 2 years and worked my way "up" to 30% commission. My dilema is that as more and more groomers are looking for jobs, my employer (who does all the scheduling) has been giving my regular customers to the new groomers he has been hiring. He says that he needs his customers to be ok with many different groomers. in the meantime i end up with not enough money to survive. he also expects us to attend staff meetings without pay, clean (deep cleaning) our trailers, have business discussions with us off the clock (I have asked him about the situation but he will only discuss it with me after work). This is my first grooming job and have nothing to compare it to. I was under the impression that commission work involved me being able to have and service my regular customers. I am unable to change the situation financially because i cannot make my own appts and he is not giving my the customers (even if they ask for me) I have been doing for 2 years. I think he's trying to get me to quit but have no idea why..
                    I think your employer might have a pretty good reason to rotate his groomers with his clients. You refering to his clients as your customers sends a pretty strong message. I certainly wouldn't expect you to be able to schedule your own appointments..that would be a pretty lax owner to allow his groomers to do their own scheduling.

30% commission is a fair rate. It reallly depends on the prices that your boss charges to know if you are underpaid. Why would I hire an employee and give them half my profits? I have to pay for the van or trailer, supplies, insurance, gas, maintanance, generator, generator maintanance, towels, laundry, water, utilities, advertising, etc, etc.

Maybe you should take the risk and open your own business?

Comment

I wasn't trying to argue that 30% was good enough, I was trying to make the point that 30% gives us NO information! 30% of what? If the mobile company has higher prices, 30% of a mobile groom may be substantially higher than 50% of a typical shop groom for the area. We can't possibly know if she is being paid fairly based on a percentage. Now, if she did the math and figured out how much she actually makes per hour, then you could actually form an opinion as to if she is over/under paid.

One could argue all day as to which job (salon vs mobile) is better or less stressful. The answer to that will depend on the person forming the opinion. Me personally, I'd rather work in a shop than in a mobile truck, but that is because I would want a bather/dryer so that all I had to do was actual grooming. Just as I would much rather work for an hourly pay than on commission because I want to be able to predict my income and don't want to go without pay if the manager can't figure out how to get dogs on my schedule.

This groomer works for an employer and the bottom line is that if she feels she isn't being treated fairly, then she has three options. She can take it up with her boss to solve the issue, find a different job, or do nothing and just complain. I'd be careful about upsetting the boss too much unless she has another job possibility. However, only she knows how upset her boss is likely to get and how that boss is likely to react if they do get upset.

From her description I am concerned that she is getting hosed. However, as I said, if the boss feels they can get the same work from someone that they can pay less, they are more likely to prefer to see the more expensive groomer move on to another job than fork over more money. Is it right? Well, that's completely dependent on whose point of view you look from. But if this employer has people beating down the door to work for them, it may be that they feel this complaining groomer should go somewhere else. If they gave her a raise only to begin cutting back her schedule to convince her to leave, I do not approve of the practice and I think it's a pretty shoddy method, but it may indeed force the employee on down the road.

Comment

in all fairness

Originally posted by A1Mobile View Post
                        I think your employer might have a pretty good reason to rotate his groomers with his clients. You refering to his clients as your customers sends a pretty strong message. I certainly wouldn't expect you to be able to schedule your own appointments..that would be a pretty lax owner to allow his groomers to do their own scheduling.

30% commission is a fair rate. It reallly depends on the prices that your boss charges to know if you are underpaid. Why would I hire an employee and give them half my profits? I have to pay for the van or trailer, supplies, insurance, gas, maintanance, generator, generator maintanance, towels, laundry, water, utilities, advertising, etc, etc.

Maybe you should take the risk and open your own business?
                        I did not say "my customers", I said "my regular customers". This implies that some of his customers routinely ask for me... many customers, actually. I'm not trying to send any message, and as a person with a fair amount of integrity, I would not solicit the business that currently belongs to the company, if that's what you are suggesting.
                        Why would you hire an employee and give them half your profits? Because in many circumstances that's what is fair and just. It seems to me from reading some of the other posts, including those from business owners, that my questions are not unreasonable.

Comment

Thanks so much!

To all those who responded to my post. I appreciate the input advise and support. It has given me greater clarity from all sides. I hope everyone has a happy and prosperous holiday season!!

Woof!

Comment

I am going to chime in here with an opinion that many business owners do NOT make a clear profit on a commissioned groomer. The groomers forget that there are expenses out of the owners percentage that do not come out of theirs (the groomers). In reality, when I pay 50% to a groomer-which I do not do- they end up paying only about 25% or half their commission back to the business after expenses are paid. IF THAT MUCH.

Like SwissNChow said, no way to tell if its fair or not unless we know more. PLUS I am of the opinion that all work related hours must be paid. Meetings MUST be on the clock, cleaning, not so much because it is going to be considered into the things required of you to do for your commission. Discussing problems is to be done during the workday, either by phone or meeting on the clock as well.

It burns my butt when groomers think that all they should do is groom. Nothing else. My job description is clear on the responsibilities of the groomer, including lceaning their station and helping with laundry if needed. I am not saying you are doing this, but it happens. People think they should only have to groom and everything else should be extra money. Sorry. YOU made the mess YOU clean it up.

AS for clients requesting you, if they sent someone out that I didn;t want there I would refuse service with them and call the owner. IF the clients really want you they will put up a fuss. Most don't care so much as long as they are groomed.

It does sound to me as if the boss has hired more people than they can support and is trying to share the dogs. Not fair to those who were already there. ALso, sometimes people who are bad managers will hire a new groomer and force out the current one by limiting the grooms rather than just telling the person, sorry but I don;t need you anymore.

Not fair, but the way it is.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Yes I will say, WAY too many employees make the assumption that the owner is making 50% off of their work. Sorry to vere off from the OP here. When I hired my groomer I expected to make about 20% once we were busy enough and was well aware she could cost me more than she made me in the beginning. So far, she hasn't cost me more than she's made, whih has been great, but those who are considering hiring or feel their employer is making too much by getting 50% of each dog, realize it is NOT 50% and if the employer wasn't making anything off of your being there, what point would they have to keep you?
                              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                              X