X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cockerlvr
    replied
    I dutifully recycle my mercury bulbs, but the situation is quite scary. the other day I saw my (commercial) landlords throwing about a half dozen four foot bulbs into their dumpster. It just made me cringe. Maybe they don't know and I should go over and educate them.

Leave a comment:

• MydogMissy
    replied
    Not So Green...

Green is a huge industry.....follow the money.

As for me... I prefer common sense over political ideology and marketing spin.

Leave a comment:

• Doubledogdare
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post

Putting millions or billions of these bulbs in our garbage dumps affects our children's children's children. Mercury can leech and travel tens, hundreds of miles and more. We are talking bulbs everywhere in every state, this is not a little regional issue.

Anyone besides me remember good ol' mercury thermometers? The kind you stuck in your mouth or up your butt or hung on the wall as part of a barometer thingee? And the line that recorded the temperature was silvery-gray?

Those thermometers were loaded with mercury. And on a regular basis those glass rods were dropped on the bathroom floor where they would shatter and, OH GOODIE!, all that fascinating silver mercury would shoot across the floor in liquid drops. And we'd play with it for a while, until Mom brought the broom and swept it all up and threw it in the garbage.

And we are still alive to tell the tale of playing hands-on with mercury globules.

How on earth could CFBs have more mercury and be more dangerous that an old fashioned glass thermometer that everyone and their uncle had in the bathroom?

Leave a comment:

• A1Mobile
    replied
    The following is pretty much cut and paste so I don't become unhinged and post my opinion(s) causing the post to be thrown into cyberspace.

These bombs..er bulbs are recommended by Greenpeace, which protests thermometer factories in India. India and China are where these bulbs are made and we know how high their safety and enviromental standards are..opps..back to the cut and paste.

“Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007,” signed into law by President Bush.

How much money does it take to screw in a compact fluorescent lightbulb? About $4.28 for the bulb and labor — unless you break the bulb. Then you could be looking at a cost of about $2,004.28, which doesn’t include the costs of frayed nerves and risks to health.

Another kick-in-the-teeth to consumers is the new mandate to phase-out incandescent lightbulbs in favor of compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). The 100-watt incandescent light bulb will be the first to go in 2012. It’s bad enough that the federal government wants to dictate what sort of lighting we can have in our own homes, but it expects us to pay up for mercury-containing CFLs (up to $5 for a CFL vs. $0.75 for a standard incandescent bulb) which are inferior in quality (harsh institutional white light vs. soft yellow-white light) and function (their light-up is slow and inconsistent, and frequent on/off switching shortens their life), and which require special handling and disposal procedures (you’re not supposed to just throw them away in household trash or vacuum up CFL breakage).

Consider the procedure offered by the Maine DEP’s Web page entitled, “What if I accidentally break a fluorescent bulb in my home?”

Don’t vacuum bulb debris because a standard vacuum will spread mercury-containing dust throughout the area and contaminate the vacuum. Ventilate the area and reduce the temperature. Wear protective equipment like goggles, coveralls and a dust mask.

Collect the waste material into an airtight container. Pat the area with the sticky side of tape. Wipe with a damp cloth. Finally, check with local authorities to see where hazardous waste may be properly disposed.

The only step the Maine DEP left off was the final one: Hope that you did a good enough cleanup so that you, your family and pets aren’t poisoned by any mercury inadvertently dispersed or missed.

There ya go. I guess the Homeland Security recommendation on keeping duct tape and plastic for terrorist attacks might come in handy with these lightbulbs, but the trade off is so worth it..bad light and a savings around 180 bucks a year. I'm in.

Leave a comment:

• Dog Daze
    replied
    I did see a story about a woman who broke one of these bulbs in her house in her child's room about 4 or so years ago and they had to quarantine the whole house while a hazmat team came and got the mercury out of the house.

The levels in the child's room were so...... high from one little light bulb it could have killed the child and it cost the family thousands of dollars.

I took all of those little bugger right out of my house as soon as I saw that story

Stephen: I checked last night locally and it costs about $1200 and up to have the clean up crew out for ONE of those bulbs, and if you say nope, well you and pets are being exposed to mercury and think how many households don't know this. We have a pretty "green" household overall but we will not have these bulbs in our house.

Leave a comment:

• royalfurfection
    replied
    Stephen: The fact is a lot of people are waking up to realize none of our governments REALLY care about us.[/QUOTE]

Stephen: Yes, there is truth in that but behind the government is what? Banking. You get governments so in debt you control them, and that has been around for a couple millenia even and still true today. In the meantime the more we keep each other informed and smart the less likely we will be adversely affected. So let's not go further here into politics, this board is a break from that, but let's keep each other safe and informed of hazards to people and pets in our working lives.

Leave a comment:

• Starla
    replied
    Wait a minute.

Are they the curly-Q looking ones?

Leave a comment:

• AuntieBeth
    replied
    Originally posted by bladesrunner View Post
    I just received this email attachment:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

This about sums it up, watch the senator right behind the speaker, when he gets to the part about the hazards... He couldn't care less, until the bad news hits...
    this is pretty pathetic- I couldn't be more depressed about the whole thing. I stopped using them because they were so expensive and burnt out so fast even tho they were supposed to last .... longer than incandescents- what a lie!
    What is worse is when the Senator points out every single last one of them is made in China...
    I wonder if their government is forcing that country to use them.
    what a drag.....

Stephen: The USA is making them mandatory here, not sure of date.

Leave a comment:

• hairdevil
    replied
    here's a link about hazards of the internet also:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...aspx?source=nl

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah
    replied
    Sorry

I want to appologize for letting people think that I was only thinking about me b/c that isn't true. If you knew me you wouldn't even think that I was selfish at all. Guess I'm bad at putting my feelings in writing. I'm just really dissappointed in kids nowadays. They don't show that they even care about themselves. They are looking to destroy their own brain. You hear them licking frogs just to get high. Even which is gross smoking their own stool. Sniffing sharpees. Here we are trying to take care of their land. I really get nerved when I see people throwing trash on our highways or streets. my neighbors kids are always leaving candy wrappers around in the yard and guess where they end up? I'm very clean and always trying take care of our enviroment but sometimes I think why are we doing this. They are shooting eachother or trying to kill themselves. Guess I'm not a fan of teens and younger adults. And I have 3! I'm not saying I'm going to ignore how to get rid of the bulbs but I'm not going to change them either. As long as I'm careful I can't hurt anybody. I can keep going on and on but right now I have to head to work and pray we didn't get any young patients that did something to hurt themselves. Afterall it is the weekend......

Leave a comment:

• sheilabgroomer
    replied
    So, what it comes down to is deciding if using the energy saving light bulbs is worth the risk. For me, I think I am going to go ahead and pull my spagetti light bulbs and replace them w/the old energy eaters. I really don't want the responsibility (or the price tag!) of the clean up if I drop one, or the responsibility of making sure they don't get thrown away w/the regular trash (which I know at least 2 already have). How depressing! You think you are doing something good for the environment and it comes back and smacks you like this! I am one of the people guilty of never reading a light bulb package (never thought I had to!), so I can only blame myself for my ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• bladesrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post
    I am reminded of the Great Law of Peace of the Haudenosaunee (Six Nations Iroquois Confederacy) which mandates that chiefs consider the impact of their decisions on the seventh generation yet to come.
    That brought a mental picture of those commercials back in the late 60's early 70's of that indian chief that had a tear in his eye when the camera would pan over the factories emitting smog, landfills and people not caring when or where they threw their garbage.

How long did it take for America to wake up and see the value of recycling and putting trash where it belongs. Actually, I think some people still don't know what those metal containers with a lid chained to a post is for in our National Parks. At least that's what it seems to me when I hike on the Applachian trail... seems I always come out with a whole lot more trash, than when I went in.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    I don't think the issue is "me." I don't always choose to do things out of fear for me.

Putting millions or billions of these bulbs in our garbage dumps affects our children's children's children. Mercury can leech and travel tens, hundreds of miles and more. We are talking bulbs everywhere in every state, this is not a little regional issue.

I remember Life Magazine as a kid did a layout of Japanese children with tragic birth defects, they just showed it to get the point to wake people up. It was graphic, and it was all from mercury allowed to get into the food chain. What about our pets and the future of pets.

So that's why most people will want to do something about this ludicrous oversight, not for themselves, but for generations to come.

I am reminded of the Great Law of Peace of the Haudenosaunee (Six Nations Iroquois Confederacy) which mandates that chiefs consider the impact of their decisions on the seventh generation yet to come.

If only today's average American and especially their leaders would be so wise.

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah
    replied
    whats new????

This isn't news to me. My hubby's job had a meeting on this b/c they had them at his job. So they trained the people how to handle them if they break and how to get rid of them. The hospital I work at has them and I have them in my house. This was on CNN a while back and it's also on the package. People don't take the time to read. I'm not saying I do b/c I never do. People just have to be careful with these bulbs. I'm not going to change them b/c of what they can do. Everyday you hear something is not good for you. So instead of living in fear I'll just be careful and live my life to the fullest. My kids are grown and gone so all I have to worry abt is my hub and I. I used to stress a lot about what we are eating and wearing or using or where we work. I have very good chance of getting diseases just working at the hospital. It's all about being careful not quitting my job and live in fear. About 7 years ago just walking in my back yard gave me a disease, lyme disease. So now I spray myself and now they are saying DEET or something isnt good for you. I give up. Whatever comes my way I'll just have to deal with it when it effects me. Did you know grooming isn't good for you??? That's what one of the doctors says b/c you can get Lyme disease from the dogs if you get bit by the tick that was hanging off of them. I had to argue with her and say at the time I wasn't grooming when I got it. I was walking in my back yard! That shut her up. So matter what you do it isn't good for you.

Leave a comment:

• bladesrunner
    replied
    I just received this email attachment:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

This about sums it up, watch the senator right behind the speaker, when he gets to the part about the hazards... He couldn't care less, until the bad news hits...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X