I'm lucky to be alive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm lucky to be alive...

Last night on my way home from work, I was the victim of a hit and run accident. I bike to and from work and I was struck violently from behind by what I assume was a drunk driver attempting to pass me. The SUV shot me straight into a parked car where my bike hit the parked car with so much force it destroyed the fork and front wheel, leaving a basketball sized dent in the bumper of the parked car.

I was thrown from my bike into the curb and luckily took the brunt of my fall on my bottom sustaining no head trauma or broken bones. I am however, very banged up with bruising all over my body, the majority of which is on the lower half of me. Deep tissue/muscle bruising that hasn't become visible on the surface yet is also something I sustained.

The incident was so loud a neighbor came to my aide, as did a passing couple who called 911 and stayed with me until the police arrived. We are currently working with the police and locals of the area on any security footage that may help get the license plate number of the offender. Everyone involved was flabbergasted that I was mostly- ok. Reality is setting in that I very well could have lost my life last night. '

Stay safe everyone. Nobody should ever drink and drive. xx

Wow that was so close. Send prayer for quick healing. Are you going to be able to work as it looks within a couple weeks or ??? Very scary but glad you are still with us!!!

Comment

OMG! Scary suff, so glad you are still with us!!!!!!!
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thank you ladies!

I'm unfortunately not able to refrain from working 100%, I can't afford to. I am booking very, very light for a few weeks. Today was both hell and beneficial as I was able to get my muscles moving a bit but it's very painful.

I have a bruise on my lower back that looks like the galaxy with it's colors. Maybe I'll post a pic of my "new art"

Comment

Oh my gosh you poor thing! I send you good positive healing vibes and I hope the SOB that hit you is caught.

Comment

WOW! And that SOB didn't even stop???? Hope he gets his. So glad you survived.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Agree with cockerlvr about the SOB.
              So very glad you are alive. It's for certain that you'll be sore and achy for some time to come. Please let us know how it all works out. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

Comment

Wow. Rough stuff. Sorry. Hang in there.

Comment

Assuming this was not a road rage incident, terrible accidents happen. But to not stop...I can't wrap my mind around that kind of inhumanity. So sorry you are going through this. Gentle hugs and speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                    WOW! And that SOB didn't even stop???? Hope he gets his. So glad you survived.
                    He/she didn't stop because he/she was under the influence of something. I really really hope they catch him/her
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

So thankful you are okay. What a scary event..hope you heal quickly. Working in that condition must be agonizing too... poor thing. Soaking in hot Epsom salts will help the soreness.

Comment

Your story really puts the emphasis on why I don't ride the road.........Once a week I do 20 miles on the Olentangy Trail, which is about 27 miles away from my home. My brother just doesn't understand why I don't ride my road, since every weekend, there are tons of bikers traveling my scenic, low traffic road...... There are lots of pick-ups and small hills with curves......just inviting a hit-and-run with me laying in a ditch for hours before another pick-up comes by.

I'm so glad you are recovering, and I'm copying your post to send to my brother.

Happy buying a new bike

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Oh Cosmo, I’m so sorry to hear this. How absolutely scary. Thank goodness your now safe and alive.

I’m like Dolly. I stopped riding on my low traffic road also. It was just getting to dangerous. People that would “gun it” as they passed me. Or people that wouldn’t even move over an inch to give me some space as they passed. I could go on and on. And...these are people that most likely are NOT Under an Influence. It’s just scary.

Now I just ride on the trails or bike paths. I hope that’s an option for you.

One suggestion. If you do decide to ride on the roads again please get the BRIGHT GREEN vest or jacket if you don’t have that color already. Groups of people practice for road racing on my low traffic road. I can see those Bright Green jackets waaay before I see the other colors. Even in a pack of red, light blue, white, bright yellow jacket wearers, those Bright Green jackets show up Best every time.

Again, thank you that your safe now. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                            Your story really puts the emphasis on why I don't ride the road.........Once a week I do 20 miles on the Olentangy Trail, which is about 27 miles away from my home. My brother just doesn't understand why I don't ride my road, since every weekend, there are tons of bikers traveling my scenic, low traffic road...... There are lots of pick-ups and small hills with curves......just inviting a hit-and-run with me laying in a ditch for hours before another pick-up comes by.

I'm so glad you are recovering, and I'm copying your post to send to my brother.

Happy buying a new bike

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                            I used to take the greenway (bike trail) in but there had been incidents of people mugging bicyclists at night so I stopped doing that. Minneapolis boasts that it is a very bike friendly city but I'm having my doubts...

Gonna take a breather from cycling and yes, buy a new bike in the spring

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. Today I'm a bit less sore (just a bit!) I have a slow day today but tomorrow I have a full book at my other shop but it's all my favorite clients so it should be fun!

I had a nice long soak last night with bath salts and a bottle of prosecco. I've been getting nice calls from friends and family checking in.

The neighborhood group is also keeping their eyes and ears out for anything, it's amazing the support I've been getting both on here and in my community. Brings a happy tear to my eye

Comment

Working...
                              X