X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest with You? ABC News 11/22/13
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/vet...onest-20987714

"Pushing the Shots" at 4:31. Remember as you watch that the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines referenced in this news article show distemper, parvo & hepatitis vaccines have a proven MINIMUM duration of immunity of 7 years by challenge and up to 15 years serologically.

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm state on Page 18 that: “We now know that booster injections are of no value in dogs already immune, and immunity from distemper infection and vaccination lasts for a minimum of 7 years based on challenge studies and up to 15 years (a lifetime) based on antibody titer.” They further state that hepatitis and parvovirus vaccines have been proven to protect for a minimum of 7 years by challenge and up to 9 and 10 years based on antibody count.

Canine parvo type 2, distemper, adeno type 1 and parainfluenza: "These results suggest that the duration of serological response induced by modified-live vaccines against CPV-2, CDV, CAV-1 and CPiV...vaccines, is beyond 18 months and may extend up to 9 years. Accordingly, these vaccines may be considered for use in extended revaccination interval protocols as recommended by current canine vaccine guidelines." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23186088

The same thing goes on with human dentist pushing annual x-rays that are totally unnecessary and dangerous.

Comment

Try getting the modern line of thought through to the doggy day cares while you are at it.

I checked with one of the local doggy day cares to sign up my two youngest hooligans, hoping they could run themselves ragged during the day while I was at work, and guess what? Yep. Hardline on vaccinations as required by the vet clinics.

Rabies I can see as that is required by law. But the rest of it?

Same for boarding kennels. Vet clinic requirements down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by LoriA View Post
        The same thing goes on with human dentist pushing annual x-rays that are totally unnecessary and dangerous.
        Yes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
          Try getting the modern line of thought through to the doggy day cares while you are at it.

I checked with one of the local doggy day cares to sign up my two youngest hooligans, hoping they could run themselves ragged during the day while I was at work, and guess what? Yep. Hardline on vaccinations as required by the vet clinics.

Rabies I can see as that is required by law. But the rest of it?

I gave both of the boarding kennels that our guys went to all the canine vaccine data & they changed their protocols & were happy to receive the info! Also, to help out an unassertive friend, I contacted his doggy daycare & gave them the info & they decided not to vaccinate their own dogs annually any more & said they wouldn't require it for their clients either!

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
            It's been at least 5 years since we required annual vaccinations for our boarding clients (other than Bordetella). We work on the 3 year protocol, accept titer testing and don't require any vaccinations after 10 years old - other than rabies, which is required by law.

We also tell our clients to talk to their vet about it, but most don't...so the vets around here continue giving annual shots. However, for the hunting breeds around here - and we have lots of them that are working hunting dogs, annual Lepto vaccines may be in order. For our own dogs we follow the same protocol, and no Lepto vaccines EVER! (bad reactions!!).

Comment

Originally posted by Kris L. Christine View Post
              I gave both of the boarding kennels that our guys went to all the canine vaccine data & they changed their protocols & were happy to receive the info! Also, to help out an unassertive friend, I contacted his doggy daycare & gave them the info & they decided not to vaccinate their own dogs annually any more & said they wouldn't require it for their clients either!
              Unfortuntely this not not an option where I live. I have talked to dozens of vets and boarders, none willing to vaccinate less often.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLIE View Post
                Unfortuntely this not not an option where I live. I have talked to dozens of vets and boarders, none willing to vaccinate less often.
                Rabies is the only vaccination required by law. If you have a veterinarian who insists on vaccinating your dog(s) annually, you need to switch veterinary care providers.

You can find a homeopathic/holistic DVM near you at these links: American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association http://www.holisticvetlist.com/, Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy http://www.theavh.org/referral/index.php

Comment

Did they say why they are committed to the idea of annual vaccines?

Originally posted by JOLIE View Post

Comment

http://pawcurious.com/topic/blog/

I like this vet's blog. The Nov 22 post is about the ABC news story and I think she has some interesting points, however, I did not watch the ABC story.

Comment

What about horse shots? anybody know anything?? Around here it seems like ya have to have horse shots constantly. What is coggins and why is it required to go to anything? What about the standard shots. Infuenza west nile ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukesmom View Post
                        What about horse shots? anybody know anything?? Around here it seems like ya have to have horse shots constantly. What is coggins and why is it required to go to anything? What about the standard shots. Infuenza west nile ect.
                        Coggins is the on thing required by law (and this is up to each state if they want to require it. Tx does, NM dosent. It is not a vacc, it is blood drawn and spun at the lab to see IF the horse is positive or neg. A form with horses exact markings is issued by the vet and is usually good for 1 yr. All vacc should be (and usually are left up to the owner). Now show or race horses maybe required certain vacc in certain states, idk.
                        I dont give my horse any vaccs....I have owned horses for 46 yrs and never gave any of them a vacc. I do have a coggins drawn each year so I can travel with him (I am in Tx)
                        Sorry, cant remember the name of what condition coggins is the test for....but if a horse is positive, there is no cure and it is contagise (sp)
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Coggins tests for equine infectious anemia (EIA). Like Cyn said...highly contageous, not curable, sometimes fatal. If your horse tests positive it must be reported to the government and quarantined for the rest of it's life! Many people choose euthanasia instead.

Comment

I only titer my dogs and so far the obedience and boarding place said that would suffice. No problems what so ever!

Comment

http://drtenpenny.com/titer-tests/

Is this where to get the titer test Kris?

Comment

Working...
                              X