Knee Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Problems

I am 23 years old, been grooming for 5 years, and boy does it feel like a lifetime. I started seeing a chiropractor at 20 for my back pain and forward head posture, and I feel that especially lately my hips and knees have been all out of whack. Anybody else have a crippling knee pain brought on by grooming?

I sit down to groom. Problem solved.

Comment

What type of shoes are you wearing?that can be critical....
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Parker View Post
        I am 23 years old, been grooming for 5 years, and boy does it feel like a lifetime. I started seeing a chiropractor at 20 for my back pain and forward head posture, and I feel that especially lately my hips and knees have been all out of whack. Anybody else have a crippling knee pain brought on by grooming?
        Hi Parker and welcome to the board. I'm really sorry about your knee pain. Do you want recommendations? If so... get some good orthotics to wear in your shoes. I personally like Good Feet.. though they are hard to find. They balance you out... starting with your feet, up to your knees and hips. I had a horrid, very stupid, hip and groin injury some years back. As I lay in bed I saw this commercial for Good Feet, lol.. and we went and bought some... I thought if my feet weren't so screwed up, maybe it would help my hips.. and it did. I cannot run without orthotics in my shoes.. I'm all messed up if I don't wear them!

Debbie
        Debbie
        There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

here is my tiny piece of "help" - what will help a little bit is some herbal teas with nettle root to reduce inflammation.
          also try to buy organic meats and dairy with no added hormones- they add to inflamation. sorry to hear you are in pain that is terrible At 23, too. wow. good that youa re seeking help now while you can still change things around for yourself i applaud you BIG BEAR HUGS, Jolie

Comment

What kind of table are you working on? What shoes do you wear? Do you have poor posture all of the time (while sitting at the computer, etc)?

There are many factors which enter into knee/back/hips/neck pain.

You NEED a hydraulic or electric table and good shoes (orthotics if necessary, I just wear Birks and replace them every year or so) and to practice good posture. Stop hunching over to get to dog level, adjust your table instead.

Comment

Thanks for the replies ladies! I have an electric table, anti-fatigue mat, tub with stairs and a lifted grate. I wear crocs, but I've heard good things about some of the orthopedic shoes! I especially like the natural anti-inflammatory supplements.

I specialize in difficult to handle dogs, so unfortunately sitting isn't an option. Also my salon is pretty much a closet - not sure I could get a chair in even if I wanted to!

Good Feet is just a slip in, right? And Birks are a brand of shoe? I will start a serious search! I've never had knee pain in my life and I grew up as an athlete. I can only assume that it's because of the recent increased workload.

Comment

Birks= Birkenstock. I wear the clogs and they work great for me, plus are slip-resistant.

You should also see your doctor to rule out certain issues. Sometimes having been an athlete can cause problems down the road- I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella at 19. Eighteen years later and I still lack knee cartilage, but am thankfully symptom-free 95% of the time, thanks to sensible shoe choices and going barefoot at home (I have high arches).

Your legs may simply need a breather now and again if you're working harder than usual. Do you take a sit down lunch of at least 15 minutes?

Comment

Start doing yoga 2 days a week to get yourself stretched out and into better alignment. I had terrible back pain a few years ago. Chiropractor helped, but after a few months of yoga it completely went away.

Comment

Working...
                  X