Degenerative Bone disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degenerative Bone disease

My back has been hurting alot between my shoulder blades. I went to have an x-ray to find out what is the matter with it. I have degenerative bone disease in 3 of my disks in my back plus arthritis in my neck. And a curved spine, they said alot had to do with lifting heavy things in my earlier days, when I was lifting those 50+ weight dogs and my kids.
    I'm looking at surgury some day soon and to only do 20lb dogs, which I'm doing that now...well there are a couple of 25lb ones but I'm going to have to let them go too.
    They will not be happy at all, but I wanted to write and tell the younger groomers to be careful on lifing those BIG dogs, buy the equipment that will help you, save your body.

That is one of the first things that I did when I started my mobile business. I bought a table that goes down to 6 inches. Any size dog that can make it up the steps of my van can climb onto my table. Then I can lift it up to the appropriate height for working. It has saved my back and enabled me to do large dogs.

Comment

I agree with Misty! I'm too old to be stressing myself picking up big dogs. The Ascot LowBoy is the best thing I could have got!

Comment

wow, that is really scary. What a shock those results must have been to you. I hope that everything works out OK fo ryou. It's nice of you to let everyone know the risk of lifting the heavy dogs.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Plexi, that's a real bummer. Have you tried chiropractor? Think if it was me (paranoid) and they said the 'S' word, I would get a second oppinion. My back is still fine after all those years I think mainly because I've steered clear of the big guys. There was a time in my 20s when I was happy to show how strong I was and would lift anything. Did put my neck and back out twice, but it taught me a lesson. Didn't have all the back savers then, so yes, all you new groomers, make that a top priority!
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

strong back

If you take care of your back and excercise it to build up the muscles ( like I did not do) then it is ok to do the big guys lifted properly. My table only goes down to 22", but most of the big ones I do can get up on that. I take my time with them and teach them to step up. I have learned to ask for help with the big old fatty's.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

PLEXI
              I'm so sorry. I agree with Karla about a second opinion. sometimes a chiroparctor can fix what ails with out surgery. I have a hydralic table that goes almost to the floor. I do not even try to lift the big guys and if I'm doing the little guys then I raise the table up so that I am not bending over.
              good shoes are also a must
              "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
              Nancy

Comment

I did go to a chiropractor and he said the same about the x-rays, also saying monthly visits to him will help keep the disks moving and they won't close up as fast. But once they do then it's surgery time, and will be laid up along recovery time.
                We never had all the modern tables and other equipment back when I did start grooming 37yrs ago. So my advice to all of you is to buy anything that will help your body now, even if you think you can get by so not to have to spend the money on it, you will pay dearly later.

Comment

Wow, how scary. I started grooming in 2003 part-time and I lift a lot of big dogs and probably not properly which is why I'm in constant pain lately. Mind you, I'm not a kid either starting out, I'm 40 something.

I need to be more careful and hopefully I haven't already done damage. The constant pain is not a good sign I would imagine. Did you have any pain radiating down the back of your legs?

Comment

No, just pain between my shoulder blades, hurts alot when I do sit ups.

Comment

Wish you well...

Sorry that you have to deal with this. Sounds like you are taking good steps to handle it. I hope that it works out okay for you.

Comment

That sucks

Sorry to hear that. I am working hard to get better now and not do it again. I have decided that I am not super groomer and I will ask for help.
                        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I'm in my 20's and already have back issues. I have scoliosis in my lower back. Plus the muscles on the left side of my body are constantly pulling my spine out of whack. I can never remember how to do the exercises I was taught by the chiro. Plus where the neck meets the back right below the brain stem is curved funny. It's fixable with sleep positions, but I roll over (because I just do that when I'm sleeping), so it's not getting fixed. Next thing would be to tie my rolly butt to the bed so I don't move.
                          Becky

Comment

A lot of groomers have osteoporosis and other bone issues and don't know it. A bone density test might be a good thing to look into. I'm a tad over 50 and have bones of a 70+ year old woman.

Comment

yoga

I have found yoga to be very helpful for my back and wrists. I used to be quite sore after a day of grooming and now that I practice yoga I have no problems. It's easy and you really look forward to stretching out the muscles because it feels good.

Comment

Working...
                              X