Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible bugs????

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for me. I have a home-based grooming business and, in the past 2 days, I have been developing what looks like bug/flea bites all over me, from the waist up. They don't itch. They just keep appearing. I have even gone so far as to change my bedding. No luck, though. Still getting them. The reason i think it's grooming related is because my husband is not having the same issue. For as much as i can tell, there are no signs of fleas in my house, my dog does not have any fleas, and i clean/vaccuum/disinfect my shop nightly. Is there something else - besides fleas - that could be causing this? Any invisible 'bugs' that i'm not aware of? Anyone else have this experience? Granted, it could be something non-grooming related but i wanted to check out all avenues before venturing to see a doctor.

Thanks!
    Kim
    Last edited by knkodi2; 05-14-07, 05:59 PM.

I bet your allergic to dog hair

Comment

This sounds just like what happened to me a year or so ago. I kept finding these little red dots. I don't exactly remember where exactly they were. I think mostly my stomach and arms. I never attributed it to dog grooming though. I had been hot tubbing in my back yard and thought it was either a reaction to chemical imbalance in the water or possibly some little flying bugs that were getting me in the back yard. My husband and daughter both did not get any dots. They didn't itch and kept appearing over a couple of days or a week or so. I also changed my sheets in case there was some kind of fleas or spiders around. Never figured it out. They just went away in a few days.

Comment

I had the same thing. I had bumps on my chest and stomach area and arms. I went to the doctor and found out I had a bacteria infection and had to go on antibiotics. No one else in my family had it either. Not sure how or where I got it.

Comment

I think I know what you are talking about, and I think it is from some kinds of hair when you shave sticking in your skin, really small hairs like on a cockerspaniel or something, seems like when it happens every time I had done a csp recently, though not every time I do a csp. I'm guessing its from a few dirty dogs or something. I've had it a few times and that was my best guess. if it doesn't go away doctor may be helpful.

Comment

Gosh I don't know what they could be........

But after taking my young pug to the vet this morning, (found out that he has demodex) she told me I could give him a rinse in equal parts white vinegar and water. A good cure for fungus and bugs..........

Archie wouldn't mind it if he know you smelled like a salad too!! lol

Comment

I never had a problem with bumps and such until a certain client came onto the scene. Her dogs were both flea infested and covered in scabs from scratching. I didn't make the connection until after she had visited a couple of times, but after her visits over the next three days I get little bumps on my arms and legs, never on my torso or head. It's not the fleas, I've been bitten before and never had this reaction, plus no one else gets them! The next time the lady comes, I will be asking her exactly what ineffective flea chemicals she uses on her dogs, as I think that's what I am reacting to. The client is demanding and intrusive and I joke with my partner that I am allergic to her! Maybe I am!

Comment

If it's just from your waist up. It could be shampoo or some cleaning agent you work with if you get your arms and torso wet when your bathing and picking up wet dogs. Allergic reactions that don't itch much sometimes show up as little red dots.

If it were scabies it would itch like crazy had them years ago and wanted to crawl out of my own skin.

Comment

Sounds like contact dermititus.

Comment

I've had spider bites

They do not itch, swell up quite a bit. One here, one there, not like fleas or such with a bunch. It sort of sounds like that. I found that they bite under lose fitting clothing, my tighter sort of P J pants did not seem to attract them. I googled spider bites and such and found it to be pretty clear by the pictures etc. I think they are in my bedroom and I started sleeping in the living room then getting no more bites. I think I could let a bug bomb off in the bedroom, but pesticides do concern me, and I'd have to have my dogs out for four hours, plus 1/2 hour at least of airing out. Gee when on hot days could I take them off for 4 hours. So it's the living room for now.
                    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Mites!

Either demodex or scabies, can cause rashes on your arms and from your waist up. The good thing is there are self limiting on humans(which means dog and cat mites can't live on humans and die off) They may not be extremely itchy either. And dogs or cats may not show symptoms either. Hope this helps!

Comment

Are you in NY? I just heard something on the news about invisible bugs they are trying to track down. Lots of people itching but can't locate the source of bug bites.

Comment

No, it is not Demodex and not Scabies because it is itchy like crazy. I worked for the Humane Society and had a lot of Demodex cases there. They mostly scratched themselve bloody.
                          When I was young, I shared an Apartment with a another girl. She had scabies. You can't believe how gross that is. It is super contacious (is that spelled right?). In my homecountry you had to report it. Then the empidemic control came (looks like a Terminator with white jumpsuits and a bottle to spray in your beds and toilets). It was so ambarassing. And it itches like crazy because they are mites who digs little tunnels into your skin. We had to use a special cream for a couple of days and were not allowed to take a shower for these days. UUUAAAAHHHH! I don't even wanna think about that again.

Comment

I had that problem

I had the same little red dots show up on me before when i first starting bathing some odd years back. they were on my stomach, chest and arms. finally, we found out what it was. turns out that i am allergic to 'quick dry' shampoo that the shop had just started using, my stomach and up(through my shirt) were the only parts of me that really came into contact with the dogs. glad i found out! it's a bummer tho because i really liked that shampoo and i used it in the hydrosurge and it really did cut down drying time (esp. with the quick dry spray after the bath). but i'm back to my old shampoo and red-bump-free!

Comment

Just reading this thread has got me itching like crazy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X