Mandatory masks for zoonotic diseases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory masks for zoonotic diseases

I have just made masks mandatory at my shop and want everyone to know that YES YOU CAN GET AN INFECTION FROM YOUR CANINE CLIENTS!! I have spent the last 2 yrs trying to get rid of a Pseudomona Infection in my maxillary sinus. The conclusion is that I got the infection by breathing in some infected skin (from force drying) from one of these dogs that we constantly see with skin problems due mostly from allergys. They have everything from yeast and fungal infections to bacteria like Pseudomona on their skin and in their ears that we could easily breathe into our sinus. The sinus's are a very inviting place, they are wet, warm and sometimes not alot of air is getting into them. We know that's one reason why cockers get these types of ear infections because of the warmth and no air in the ear canal. I had already been studying Pseudomona Infections because of all of these sweet dogs having to be put down because their owners just could not get their skin or ear infections under control. I am currently on my third round of IV antibiotics (this time using two at once) to try to get rid of my infection. I actually told my dr what it was I had because i knew that smell (we all know that stinky, musty, disgusting smell). I even took him in literature. He just thought i was crazy. Finally a year later my culture came back, Pseudomonas. So please please be careful, especially when force drying. Think of all those skin particles that are being blown into the air that you are breathing in every day!! I got some great masks at www.breathehealthy.com. If i am not allowed to tell the website there is an ad in Groomer to Groomer for them. The last two yrs of my life have truly been a nightmare with this infection causing other problems with my body. Not only could i smell that awful smell but i could taste it too, I lost 35lbs and became anemic. I also got something called Reactive Arthritis from having an infection for so long, so i was basically bed ridden. So PLEASE everyone protect yourselfs with a mask, i would hate to see anyone have to go through this. I am sure if i were a dog i would have been "put down" by now!!!

It took that loser a YEAR to culture your sinuses? I would have gotten another Dr. LONG ago.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Wow that's scary seeing as I've been having sinus issues really bad for the past year but I haven't been working grooming for a good part of this year just part-time here and there.

I'm glad you posted this when I start to groom more often I was already considering wearing a mask.

Comment

I am sorry to read of your health problems. Here is a photo that I took awhile back of the dander that settled on my mirror next to the table from just a little Maltese mix during HV drying. We breathe this in EVERY DAY if we aren't donning a mask; and it isn't good for us!!! Here is a link for some cooler looking and comfy masks and some antibacterial aroma mists as well!
        http://www.breathehealthy.com/all-du...eld-masks.html
        Attached Files
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Sinus Cultures

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
          It took that loser a YEAR to culture your sinuses? I would have gotten another Dr. LONG ago.
          Sorry it's hard to tell a 2 yr story in a short paragraph, but this dr was the 3rd ENT I had seen. They took a culture when they did surgery and after surgery and nothing showed, so be persistent if you have a problem, they don't always find it on the first try. Also 2 MRI's and 5 diff CAT scans, 2 bone scans, flew from Utah to Maryland-John's Hopkins for help, but no one would listen! After two yrs i have seen 21 diff drs. Boy do i have a different opinion of drs now! The arrogance is unreal. Like we don't know our own bodies and when we aren't well? Frustrating, but my advice BE PRO-ACTIVE with your health!

Comment

I do wear a mask when I dremel nails and now I'm thinking I should wear one when I fluff dry. My problem is my glasses fog up when I put one on. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
            www.gomobileandsucceed.com
            http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry you have to deal with this.
              Thank you for sharing the link too, as I was looking for cute reusable masks too.

Comment

foggy glasses

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                I do wear a mask when I dremel nails and now I'm thinking I should wear one when I fluff dry. My problem is my glasses fog up when I put one on. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
                I would call the company that sells the masks. I got a hold of Mike the owner of www.breathehealthy.com He was so nice & he makes masks for all professions. I'll bet he would be of help. Good luck And let everyone know what he says I am sure others will have the same problem.

Comment

thanks, i just ordered 3 masks plus their spray. this would make a great blog article. it's on my to do list.
                  Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                  "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

In noticed their ad and they have some really cute fabrics.

I deal with a lot of allergy dogs. I never thought that it may cause sinus problems.

I hope now that you know what is wrong your problems are at an end.
                    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Pseudomonas is a bug that is on everything (including you) and is everywhere in the environment (and I do mean everywhere). Yes, it can be pathogenic at times, but the ones with the most problems are people who have conditions which affect their immune systems.

Comment

masks

Thanks for the information. I just ordered from the breathehealthy web site. I have the paper masks but don't use them like I should because of the fog on my glasses. Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                          Pseudomonas is a bug that is on everything (including you) and is everywhere in the environment (and I do mean everywhere). Yes, it can be pathogenic at times, but the ones with the most problems are people who have conditions which affect their immune systems.
                          Yep I'm included in that category

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
                            thanks, i just ordered 3 masks plus their spray. this would make a great blog article. it's on my to do list.
                            That is awesome, Mary--excellent idea!!!!!!! *bowing**
                            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                              Mine do too when I wear the safety goggles,,I would love to know any answer to fixing it so I can wear both...Maybe the cloth masks work better than the paper safety ones? I ordered a few masks off that site,,I hope I can wear goggles with them!
                              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X