Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep grooming a Scotty with Hepatitis C??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep grooming a Scotty with Hepatitis C??

There is a Westy and Scotty from a client. The Scotty has Hep C. The vet wont give it yearly shots because of the disease. The dog bit me while clipping the nails. Called a couple Vets to see if it could transmit to me. Two different vets said they didn't think so, but wouldn't commit to it. Went to a medical center the Doc didn't even know dogs could get Hep. So he didn't know. They took blood tests. I am negative. Have to go back in March to get tested again. The owner asked if she could come back. I am concerned about me, but mostly for the other dogs I am grooming. I do disinfect! It is a disinfectant the says it kills this disease. These dogs desperately need to continue to be groomed because every other time they come in they are very matted and have to be shave down. I also don't understand why the Westy hasn't contracted this very contagious disease. Please tell me your thoughts.

I don't know...

I don't think I would have an issue grooming the dog... but I would want it to come in late, and be the last dog. I would muzzle the dog, just in case, and just do a thorough cleaning after they go home.

I don't know what else to say. I've never heard of a dog with Hep C.

Comment

Originally posted by Mya View Post
      There is a Westy and Scotty from a client. The Scotty has Hep C. The vet wont give it yearly shots because of the disease. ... Please tell me your thoughts.
      There is a (ICHV) strain of Hepatits that dogs get. It has no been seen transmitted to humans.
      Hepatitis C is a human disease. If this dog has Hep C it would be a miracle of science and truly help in the study of the disease. So keep grooming, what he has you can't catch. I can't believe three doctors didn't tell you this. Ask a nurse or a vet tech, I bet they would know... Sometime I lose faith in the Drs.
      Now

Comment

The dog is a biter. Make her go to a vet and get the dog sedated.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

You should absolutely be able to get an answer on whether or not this disease is transmissible to humans. Call NC State Vet School or Cornell....they should be able to to tell you for sure. If it is NOT transmissible, don't worry. If it is, either muzzle the dog start to finish or don't groom it. At least that is what I would do. I would never risk getting Hep C for a dog groom....he could go to the vet and be sedated to get groomed too if it came to that......but check first about whether it is even transmissible to figure out what you should do!!

Comment

I have never heard of dogs getting hepatitis so I can't help you w/that issue. Hopefully there will be others on the board w/good info for you.

I wouldn't groom these dogs at all till I was fully informed about the disease he supposedly has and the risks to me and my other clients. Once I was had the info, only then would I decide whether or not to groom him again.

That being said, I wouldn't groom a dog that has already bit me KNOWING that he's not vaccinated. IMO that is asking for trouble. I don't think you want to have to be treated for rabies if you get bitten badly enough that you need medical help. My dad went through that after being attacked by a racoon and it made him sick as a dog (pardon the pun) for the duration of the treatment and was very expensive as well. Seems like there was an issue w/insurance not paying for the treatment, though I will have to double check w/him on that.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I'm not sure but I don't think the type of Hep that dogs get is transmittable to humans. Not sure or ever heard of a dog with Hep C. Guess anything is possible.

If I were you, I would get in touch with a "infectious diease doctor" who specializes.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                I have never heard of dogs getting hepatitis so I can't help you w/that issue. ... Seems like there was an issue w/insurance not paying for the treatment, though I will have to double check w/him on that.
                I agree with this -I think my concern would be more in the lines that he doesnt have his vacinations rather than contracting hepititis and he bites. just the bitiing alone would make me not want to groom them.plus whatever he does have could be passed along to the other dogs you groom , I dont think its worth the risk considering all the factors.maybe you should mention teching the owner to do some basic nail clipping brushing and clippering to keep them up,instead of the unfair risk to you and your other clients.In florida by law I cannot take dogs that arent vacinated When they come to do our yearly renewel of our licence that woman checks everything,even the files of the dogs that are there If the shots werent UPD Im sure that woman would not reissue our licence but we are a kennel too so maybe that is why she is so strict but I dont think I would want to take a chance.

Comment

three reasons i wouldn't groom this dog.
                  1. i am not informed about how transmittable this is particularly important as his is a known biter.
                  2. this dog is a known biter with no rabies vaccine.
                  3. this dog is a known biter.
                  leave it to the vet to do.
                  Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                  "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
                    1. i am not informed about how transmittable this is particularly important as his is a known biter.

"DITTO"
                    ~*~Robin~*~
                    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I second that Ditto

Comment

I had a fawn pug that was diagnosed with Hep C. After I had to put her down. So this hits home. The only thing I know about it is that it is a liver disease and is spread easily.
                        Thanks for all your thoughts.

Comment

I third that ditto!
                          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/57200.htm

It looks like it can be spread through urine and for this reason I would not put other dogs at risk by grooming a dog with a known contagious disease.

There are other forms of hepatitis that are genetic in nature - I never heard of this contagious form in dogs - good to know.

Comment

I 4th that ditto!

Comment

Working...
                              X