Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? Someone...

hey all..
    i seem to have a problem...and dont know how to resolve it...
    anyway..
    as most of you already know, i have an English Cocker Spaniel, and she seems to be having some kind of a skin issue. It is not Pyoderma, because its not like a rash red, but its red like a boil..and sometimes she has like puss in them..and they are bigish..not real big like tumors but big..and some are inflamed...just red..there's no blood of anything...and the vet asked me to give her Avil...thinking its an allergy or something..but thats not helping either..i've been using micro tek on her..but does'nt seem to be working much...is there anyone who has a clue of whats happend? or what i can do? please do let me know. thanks

It could be seborrhea

I'm not a groomer, jut a wannabe with high maintenance pets.

The symptoms you describe sound like seborrhea. Seborrhea is a common problem in cocker spaniels. I had a pekingese that had chronic seborrhea from the time he was 3 years old until he died at the age of 13 1/2.

Ask your vet to recheck him. If he thinks it might be seborrhea, see if he will prescribe predisone for a few days to get the condition under control.

The problem never completely cleared up in my peke, but I kept it well under control. I brushed him every day, bathed him with Malaseb shampoo every few weeks, and sponged the outbreaks with Malaseb in between baths. The brushing seemed to be the most effective part of the regimen. If I missed one day, I could tell the difference. It sounds like a lot of brushing, but if you do it everyday, it only takes a few minutes.

Good luck.

Comment

I hate to say it...but it sounds like she needs a recheck by your vet.
      Is this the puppy? Where is the irritation? Belly-'tween back legs?????

Also..I love Malaseb...but it's no longer available, so maybe your vet can recommend another shampoo that will be effective and/or Rx some antibiotics.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Malaseeb no longer available?

Why is it no longer available?
        You know you can "make" it by mixing part Davis Miconazole with part of Davis Chlorhexidine 2% ? At least it is what Mr. Davis told me.

Comment

[QUOTE=lexapurple;382447]Why is it no longer available?QUOTE]

My understanding (as per my vet) is the company got into some labeling trouble, dating back quite a while and NOT involving Malaseb, but the FDA has (temporarily, hopefully) yanked their license.
          It's killin me...cuz I love the stuff for alot of the Summertime issues we deal w/ around here.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

thanks so much...

ok..let me rephrase...
            i'm in INDIA...and the vets here...well..they will treat for normal things...but they dont always know for 100% whats wrong..and want to experiment...which i dont want to do really..because we can say its been going on for like...say arnd 9 months now...and i also googled seborrhea (i did'nt know what it was) but its not that....its not like little ploches...its...umm...like BIG pimples...
            would anyone recommend any other product other than Micro Tek??

Comment

Being as you are in India, do you have issues with sandflys or other insects in your area. This should be the first test the vets should try to test for.Not trying to scare you But you have many different species than that we in the USA have, several known to carry parasites that we would not be subject to or have had experience with.

Comment

Working...
              X