Oooh,my tummy hurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooh,my tummy hurts!

Ok, so it isn't groomer related except that my stomach has been hurting since two days before Thanksgiving. I have diverticulitis and losis. IT seems that fiber is an enemy and yet fiber is important. I have been eating nuts ( bad idea) and yams etc. Now I can't get my tummy to feel ok, and the related Topic part is......I gotta work and groom til the 23rd.

So who has this and what the heck can I eat? I like all the wrong stuff. Broccoli, and Ezekiel 49 bread and nuts and most foods except for sea food. I am thinking I might have to do just protein drinks for a day or two to heal.

Any suggestions? It is now to the point where Beano doesn't help, or the anti-D stuff. I am glad I have not had an embarrassing incident in public thus far. But just made it home last Monday after being out to dinner. OMG, I'd die!

I know, see a doctor.But diverticulitis has no meds that work, and I have no idea how to fix it now that I ate all the wrong things. I gotta work just a little bit longer. Til Santa comes to town.

Start taking Metamucil on a regular basis. Once you've irritated the bowel it can take a long time to heal up, but Metamucil is a gentle fiber and really works. I had problems decades ago and a friend who was a pharmaceutical rep. told me about it. No issues since, but I make sure I get enough fiber!
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I also have diverticulitis, and when it flairs up really bad, they give me strong antibiotics and it goes away. You might have an infection. I don't have it really bad, but one time I was in a fetal position all night long and have never felt worse in my life-I seriously thought I was going to die. I didn't know at the time what it was, so I went in to the Dr, and they did a ct scan and all and that is how they figured it out.

Comment

I guess I gotta call the doc.

I was just reading about food combining. I do know starches and fruit or fruit juices can cause gas and pain. But the pouches, welll, I don't see how buying books on food combining can help. But I am sure there are some that are not expensive. Suzanne Somers wrote a book (many she has written) about how she keeps her weight down w/ food combining correctly. Worth a try.
        Last edited by Jenneversage64; 12-14-09, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Check these out

Slippery elm, a natural remedy/help for irritated bowels, and probiotics.

Slippery elm has been described as a "bandaid" for the intestines, which, if you have now irritated yours and might have an "embarrassing incident", you probably need. It is not expensive.

Probiotics you may need to replace some of the digestive bacteria that you probably lost with the irritation. Probiotics are simply the natural digestive bacteria that we are supposed to have. Buy the refrigerated type with MANY types of bacteria - Udo's Choice has powder and capsules, I believe. They are a bit pricey - maybe $20-30 for a bottle, but you probably do not need to use as much as they recommend on the label.

You might want to take a look at L-Glutamine, too - not very expensive, but may be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
            Probiotics you may need to replace some of the digestive bacteria that you probably lost with the irritation. Probiotics are simply the natural digestive bacteria that we are supposed to have. Buy the refrigerated type with MANY types of bacteria - Udo's Choice has powder and capsules, I believe. They are a bit pricey - maybe $20-30 for a bottle, but you probably do not need to use as much as they recommend on the label.
            BOY, can I vouch for THIS one! Probiotics, lots of water and lots of brightly colored veggies. Seriously, if you are even a tiny bit dehydrated you will get seriously inflamed. Then you will have diarrhea.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Oops, forgot. If your Dr. prescribes steroids as a temporary fix for inflammation please, please take them. They help reduce inflammation really fast.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

So Activia isn't worth the $$$ ?

I know any health food store can advise probiotics. I actually love all veggies and fruits too. I like rasp and strawberries but they have tiny seeds. What if, meantime, I just do protein drinks and soft stuff like oatmeal for a few days? I won't be getting any appt with the doc til probably just before Christmas or.....maybe just after. I will have to wait 3 weeks to get in.

I just wish Activia didn't have high fructose corn sweetener. Why can't they make plain?

You all are so great. I knew someone would have advice.

This is not easy to talk about. Hense the embarrased teddy bear. Now dog poop, no prob!

Comment

Since you like fruit, get plain, non-fat yogurt and mix them. Add honey. Activia does not suck, but high fructose corn syrup leads to irritable bowel syndrome in some people. google sugar the bitter truth. Oh yeah, and drink warm tea.

Comment

There's a huge difference between an irritated bowel and diverticulosis. Seriously, I wouldn't take ANYTHING without first running it past your doctor. Things get stuck in those pouches, and can cause a huge problem. Stop eating nuts! And don't eat tomatoes or anything else with seeds, either!

If you aren't seeing a gastroenterologist ask your regular MD for a referral.

Comment

Working...
                    X