Forty something minus Forty something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forty something minus Forty something

I have been dieting & exercising (sure) for last however many years.
    Success comes in spurts then the weight comes back.
    I feel good for a while then slide back to my old unhealthier habits.
    I'll be 43 in March & I like REALLY need to do something that will stick before I get into more trouble. Already my back isn't great so I've reluctantly cut back on my big dogs.

I was thinking maybe groomer group support may help.
    I'm not the most computer savy person but I can do email & wondered if anyone would like to get involved.

Thanks for listening.
    Erica

I just bought a book called "YOU on a diet"....so far I'm pretty impressed. It talks about how the body metabolizes food in an easy to understand way. I'm 49 and need to loose 40 lbs.

Comment

hey CC, Im right behind you in the same boat! let me know what it says! LOL It must be a stress factor...seems to be common among groomers I see lol, but since I moved out on my own in a shop, the weight just keeps creepn up..and I dont eat fast food either...I dine out alot, but no burger and fries for me...and Im not a sweet eater either but I have started up with cokes again and I should've known better. It bout killed me when I quit them a year ago..oh my gosh..the headaches were horrible!!!! now I have to go through that again! wha wha

Comment

Okay hairdevil....it says to walk for 30 minutes a day...that's all you need to do, just 30 min. of walking EVERY day. There's a little more excercise added later on but for now just walk for 30 min./day EVERY day. I thought it sounded easy enough...but I'm gonna wait till I finish the book...don't want to get ahead of myself (hehe).

Oh, and don't be concerned about how much you weigh, it's really all about your WAIST size, which for a female should be 32 1/2" or less....hmmm I measured my waist...40" -- I'm reading as fast as I can!

Comment

Back in Texas, I would go once a week to a nutritionist over in Mexico. She would take my measurements and my weight and then give me a weeks worth of pills and my weekly diet. Whats in them? I have no clue. Anyways, when I started, I was 30 pounds over my normal weight. I had just moved in with my boyfriend, you know how it goes. In the first month with the nutritionist, I lost 25 pounds. Its been over two years now, and I dont go anymore, but I think I know why it was so successful(besides the pills). I think you are pushed more to stick to the diet and to lose weight when you know that someone else is going to be measuring you and weighing you at the end of the week. I think that might also be the deal with Weight Watchers and their meetings.

Sio

Comment

Maybe I can help inspire some of you. I started my "life change" on June 24, 2006. I have lost 68lbs. I went from a size 18/20 to a 4/6. I can't believe it! My customers are shocked when they see me. Everyone wants to know my "secret". I honestly started doing what that books says. I walked 30 minutes everyday. I used my treadmill and started slow, and increased the speed every week. I cut out all the junk from my diet. I joined the gym about 3 months ago and can't believe the results. I still exercise pretty much everday, I may skip one day a week. I count my calories everyday too. It has become as much a part of my life as eating and sleeping (and grooming!). Maybe I can post some before and after pictures.
            I will help you all as much as I can. I am not a nutritionist or trainer but I have been there. If I can do it anyone can!!

Comment

OK, count me in!

Just went for my yearly physical and my doctor actually shook his finger at me. Said several pounds have to go and cholesterol needs to drop a good 20 or so points. I need some serious motivational tips. I am now watching the quality of the foods I eat and trying to eat less but boy, it is tough! I know what I have to do to get the weight off but I can't seem to make the time in my day for the exercise. I simply cannot get up before 6am to exercise and will not exercise after 8pm because then I can't sleep. Any other time during the day that I would have to exercise, my kids don't leave me alone. What to do, what to do?

Comment

Originally posted by lbboop99 View Post
                Maybe I can help inspire some of you. I started my "life change" on June 24, 2006. I have lost 68lbs. I went from a size 18/20 to a 4/6. I can't believe it! My customers are shocked when they see me. Everyone wants to know my "secret". I honestly started doing what that books says. I walked 30 minutes everyday. I used my treadmill and started slow, and increased the speed every week. I cut out all the junk from my diet. I joined the gym about 3 months ago and can't believe the results. I still exercise pretty much everday, I may skip one day a week. I count my calories everyday too. It has become as much a part of my life as eating and sleeping (and grooming!). Maybe I can post some before and after pictures.
                I will help you all as much as I can. I am not a nutritionist or trainer but I have been there. If I can do it anyone can!!
                wow! I'm impressed!! big pat on the back to you!!! so tell us, what was your dailt routine? that is an impressive amount of weight...I would feel great if I dropped that much..man, put me back down to 110!! whooooohoooooooo

Comment

thanks for the replies

I have several newer diet books. A trend seems to be "no excuses, use your body for resistance". I have the new OZ book & the 8 minutes in the morning by Cruise (something close to that). Haven't put either into motion.
                  Can't you lose weight just by buying the books? My purse feels lighter!

2004 I lost 30 pounds in 3 months by spending 2 hours a day at the gym. That's just not practicle.

So today as I'm grooming I stand up more. I held my arms up more.
                  Also you don't have to exercise all 30 minutes at one time. Do 10 minutes at a time.

So just do it.
                  ( i did have yummmmy fruit salad for dessert instead of my usual ice cream)
                  Erica

Comment

My hubby started You on a Diet, he changed from enriched anything to whole wheat (even baking flour), no hydrogenated anything, little sugar, exercies 30 mins a day, he has lost 6 inches off his waist and 25 lbs so far.

Comment

Originally posted by lbboop99 View Post
                      You deserve a BIG pat on the back!!!

I read, see, and hear these kind of stories all the time and it just makes me more depressed because I just don't have the will power to even start anything. I'm WAY overweight. I went to the doctors just last week because I'm always so tired. I finish grooming and all I want to do is just sit in front of the TV and veg for rest of the day. I guess I was just hoping he could give me a pill to make me fill better, or something dumb like that. He told me my blood pressure was high and my cholesterol should come down a little too. So I guess I'm going to have to find that motivation somewhere and get busy. I guess I can at least walk for 30 min. a day, I have enough dogs that would LOVE to go for a walk with me! LOL
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                        hey CC, Im right behind you in the same boat! let me know what it says! LOL It must be a stress factor...seems to be common among groomers I see lol, but since I moved out on my own in a shop, the weight just keeps creepn up..and I dont eat fast food either...I dine out alot, but no burger and fries for me...and Im not a sweet eater either but I have started up with cokes again and I should've known better. It bout killed me when I quit them a year ago..oh my gosh..the headaches were horrible!!!! now I have to go through that again! wha wha
                        Hairdevil, even if yo dont go for the burger and fries at restraunts you can still take a big pounding in the calories dept and not realize it. I watched a segment on the Today show a few yrs ago that really suprised me. A lot of the foods in restraunts that we would think are low fat/ calories like grilled meats or veggies are high because of all the BUTTER they add when they cook. You have to specify NO BUTTER to make sure. Also one of the highest calorie restraunts was Chinese. That really suprised me. I always thought (along w/many others) that Chinese was low calorie/low fat.
                        Also, as you probably know...lol...soft drinks can really add up on the daily calories too. I used to drink a lot of Cokes but have managed to wean my self off of them (except for one now and then). I now drink lots and lots and lots of water or decaff, unsweetened tea. The way I used to be about cokes is the way I am now with water. If I don't drink enough I feel like ****! It takes a little time to wean yourself off, but you can do it and feel sooooo much better!
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Unfortunately there is no "magic pill". I wish there were. I'm not so sure it's will power that keeps you going. It really is a decision. You really need to make up your mind to do it. I always thought I didn't know how to eat healthy. But I guess I did and just didn't want to.
                          I do count calories and try not to have that hydrogenated oil and I did switch to whole wheat pasta. I eat a lot of salads and soup, yogurt and fruit and veggies and chicken breast.
                          After a few weeks of exercise, I realized if I skipped it, I would miss it. Couldn't sleep, moody, etc. I'm still not sure I like it, but I like how I feel afterwards and I know what it's done for my body. So that keeps me doing it. In fact I'm on my way to the gym now to sign up for a year! I NEVER thought I'd do that in my life!!
                          I will try to post some pics, I actually don't have any recent ones, I'll have hubby take some.
                          It can be done, like anything though, it has to be a priority.

Comment

3 words - Body For Life

This is the most wonderful successful program I have ever encountered. Go to Bodyforlife.com and check it out. You will be amazed. I'm living proof that it works. There are no magic pills, but this works. Bill Phillips is one of the most motivational people around. Get the book (ebay has it cheap) and get the Body of Work video. That's all the inspiration you need. Good Luck to you all.

Comment

I have the exact opposite problem. I weigh 100 pounds and have been trying to GAIN wight for years. Nothing seems to work. I get all the great comments about how I need to eat (which I do normally) and how I must be anorexic. But nothing seems to work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X