Hair splinters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair splinters

Does anybody suffer from hair getting in your skin between your fingers, inside and outside on elbows ect... Any suggestions? Im starting to look diseased from digging them out.

I have had a lot of problems with them in the past, even had to have a few lanced open. I always keep tweezers on hand and get it out whenever I see one. Sometimes it is better to use some kind of tape to get it out, and I have even used a pet hair/lint roller. Since I stoped pre-clipping most dogs I dont have near as much a problem with it. I guess the smaller pieces of hair you get when you finish after a pre clip are easier to work themselves in to your skin. Clipper vac systems work wonders too!

Comment

Spandex

I haven't gotten splinters since I started wearing long sleeve spandex shirts beneath my regular shirts. They're pretty cheap in the athletics department of department stores, and are incredibly comfortable. They can't be seen beneath my regular shirts, and keep me clean and comfortable in all weather. I highly suggest them.

Comment

Best advice is

Don't clip dogs before AND after the bath, if you can help it. I forget if it was one of the sharpeners on this board, but they explained how clipping makes an angle on the cut hair, which means it is pointed and can get into your skin more easily.

Then, if you clip AGAIN afterwards, you have multiple pieces of hair that now have BOTH ends angled, which gives much more opportunity to have hair sticking into your skin!!

In my experience, if you are doing wiry coats, these are more likely to have a firm texture and be able to stick you, so when it comes to Schnauzers and Cairns and coats like that, it is even more important to try to clip them just after the bath, not before AND after.

Oh - second best advice - don't clip straight-coated breeds (lol, not really possible, but we can dream!!). If you scissor all day, or if you clip dogs like Poodles, Bichons, frizzy mixes, the hairs don't stick in you as much.

Comment

Nylon (or slippery) clothing to keep the hair from sticking - NO SCRUBS or Tshirts, cool temps to keep you from sweating, Powder to keep you dry, no precutting as has been mentioned.

ALSO don't pluck them. SCRUB them. Use a sugar scrub in the shower or a salt scrub. A loofa works gret too. Hot water opens the pores and the scurbs exfoliate the hair spinters out.

I have not had splinters in years and years. I don't precut ANYTHING and I exfoliate nightly.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Right after work...duct tape yourself and your underclothes.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
              Right after work...duct tape yourself and your underclothes.
              Now, that right there, is funny.

You can wax, AND get rid of hair splinters at the same time. LOL!
              Last edited by ManicMutts; 01-11-09, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hot wax in the crook of your elbows is sexy right? Digging between your fingers with needles, safety pins or very pointy tweezers is normal isn't it? We don't even need to discuss the bra issue do we? I have tried to embrace the hair as part of the job. I guess everyone has a least favorite part to their job, but not everyone has scars to show for it.

Comment

the peel off masks work wonders... i use cucumber and ginseng.. apply, let dry, peel..oh and when you use it on your face, you will be amazed at the amount of hair splinters you can see sticking out of the mask
                  The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸ ><((((؛>¸.
                  ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (؛>

Comment

Originally posted by grooming goddess View Post
                    Hot wax in the crook of your elbows is sexy right? Digging between your fingers with needles, safety pins or very pointy tweezers is normal isn't it? We don't even need to discuss the bra issue do we? I have tried to embrace the hair as part of the job. I guess everyone has a least favorite part to their job, but not everyone has scars to show for it.
                    Our female groomer uses nursing pads inside her bra for hair splinters. (I think that's what they're called, they are round and look a little like coffee filters.) She really likes them.

Comment

eeewww

Originally posted by Tat2DGroomer View Post
                      the peel off masks work wonders... i use cucumber and ginseng.. apply, let dry, peel..oh and when you use it on your face, you will be amazed at the amount of hair splinters you can see sticking out of the mask
                      Never thought about that but it makes sense. At the end of the day thats where a lot of the hair is and those are the biggest pores! I have always had sensitive skin and am prone to breakouts- Im sure that doesn't help! Yep, Im getting a mask!

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by catgod View Post
                        Our female groomer uses nursing pads inside her bra for hair splinters. (I think that's what they're called, they are round and look a little like coffee filters.) She really likes them.
                        Now that's something I never thought of doing. I might just have to give that a try! I've started using packing tape (the clear cheap stuff) every day on the inside of my bras. That's cut it down dramatically! (My bras can't go in the washer or dryer so doing the handwash thing gets old quickly and never really seems to get all the splinters out.)

Switching to real groomer's shirts has helped soooo much because I'm not sweating constantly. Now its almost time to wear shorts in the shop (still below 0 outside but nasty already inside... lol) and it'll be even better!

Except for the ones in my neck roll. Still working on that.

Comment

another old school trick for hair splinters is elmers glue. if you have them rub some elmers on there, kinda thick.. let dry and peel. elmers wont hurt you in any way shape or form.. i have used it on my face in a pinch too
                          The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸ ><((((؛>¸.
                          ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (؛>

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2DGroomer View Post
                            another old school trick for hair splinters is elmers glue. if you have them rub some elmers on there, kinda thick.. let dry and peel. elmers wont hurt you in any way shape or form.. i have used it on my face in a pinch too
                            I was going to suggest that too. Just read something about splinters and then I see this thread. Tat, ya did it first!
                            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                            Diane

Comment

I don't understand why, but I never get hair splinters. I don't wear nylon scrubs, just the regular cotton scrubs. I don't use a clipper vac. I don't wear long sleeves. I don't use any of the things people suggest for hair splinter. I just never get them.

Duct tape, Elmer's glue, wax strips...all of these should work just fine for removing them, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X