Dealing with minor cat scratches and bites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with minor cat scratches and bites

This surprises clients. I cleanse the wound with running water and soap. I do not scrub hard. I do not apply hydrogen peroxide. Especially with bites, there is no point in doing more, since the real risk is infection deeper inside the wound, where only antibiotics help.
    Blew my mind to learn that vaseline is better than neosporin for covering scratches. Look itup on verified nedical sites. Better at containing moisture, so no scab forms, and supposedly leads to faster healing than does neosporin. Of course, cleanse the wound first.
    Not a doctor, but after ten years in cat grooming, am unfortunately too experienced with scratches and bires🤣😂😻
    Did you know this?

Emma….yes, I was just reading about this. Neosporin apparently has an ingredient that people are often allergic to, thus slowing healing. I’ve known not to use hydrogen peroxide for years. It destroys tissue.
    But the Vaseline was new to me. To keep the area moist and promote healing.

Comment

Wow good info.

Comment

Wow never knew that about neosporin. Great info.

Comment

This is fantastic info all groomers should know.

Comment

I have a jar of SkinWorks by Coat Handler in my salon, and I apply it to all dog scratches, and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
              I have a jar of SkinWorks by Coat Handler in my salon, and I apply it to all dog scratches, and it works great.
              That's what I also use.
              It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
              Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Really? Thanks I will get some too.

Comment

Definitely SkinWorks

Comment

My own cat at home is what I call "violently affectionate" at times so I get a lot of little nicks and scrapes, and I've never had a problem with these minor ones unless they're in a high friction area. I would add that I also make sure there's no little skin flaps on the wound- scratches are often at an angle and I find that if there's a flap that seals back to the wound it will inevitably get puffy and angry, but if I carefully clip away the disconnected skin the wound will heal faster and more cleanly

Comment

“Violently affectionate”. Absolutely love it!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X