Eye Infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Infections

Anyone experience frequent eye infections?
    I have had a few and I wear glasses. My husband got me a pair of safety glassses but they were the tinted kind. NOT!! I need all the light I can get!!

We are not doctors. Go get yourself a doctor before it gets worse.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by stacie-gotg View Post
      We are not doctors. Go get yourself a doctor before it gets worse.
      My perception of your reply is somewhat negative. Of course maybe I came across as seeking the advice of "doctors".
      I am not seeking advice. I have medication for eye irritation and infection from my eye physician.
      I am, however, curious if any other groomers have experienced eye infections due to the nature of the environmnent we work in and if they use safety glasses or other measures of prevention.

Comment

Glad you were able to clarify. I dont think dog grooming in general would cause eye infections. You might have an allergy to dander. If your problem doesnt clear up in a 2 week time frame i would seek the help of another doctor. Always get a second opinion.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Just like we can get skin infections/abscesses from an accumulation of hair in our skin, I would imagine the eye area would be just as prone to such ailments. Plus, how often (without thinking) do we wipe dog hair away from our eyes without washing our hands--after we've trimmed toenails or scrubbed a dog's butt...?

In addition to eye protection (which most of us probably neglect to wear--along with masks), frequent hand-washing and use of hand sanitizer is probably our best defense.....

Comment

I got an eye infection after I groomed a ShihTzu that had a very bad
            eye infection. I never had an eye infection in my whole life, I was careful when I seen it and washed my hands but I got it anyway. My eyes got red,burn & watered real bad. I went to my doctor that night to get meds but by morning it was even worse so I called the eye doctor and the meds he gave me gave me instant relief and I was all better in a couple of days.

Comment

I don't have a problem w/eye infections, but I do get itchy,irritated eyes w/annoying frequency. I have made it a habit to flush my eyes out a few times a day w/saline solution. At first I had a hard time w/it because I hate putting anything in my eyes, but I have become an old pro at it and it feels soooooo good to flush out your itching eyes w/a nice cool saline! If you continue getting infections ask your doctor if he can suggest any preventative measures for you. Good luck and I feel for you, I hate having sore eyes!
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                I don't have a problem w/eye infections, but I do get itchy,irritated eyes w/annoying frequency. I have made it a habit to flush my eyes out a few times a day w/saline solution. At first I had a hard time w/it because I hate putting anything in my eyes, but I have become an old pro at it and it feels soooooo good to flush out your itching eyes w/a nice cool saline! If you continue getting infections ask your doctor if he can suggest any preventative measures for you. Good luck and I feel for you, I hate having sore eyes!

You might try using Natural Tears, as I have had the same thing at times and the doctor told me I had dry eyes. I used them for a while and they got better and I don't have to use them much anymore, as he said they might.

Comment

Flushing the eyes with saline is a good idea. I think I will do that. I cannot stand itchy eyes either. I usually let the water run on them for a while in the shower. But saline sounds like it would be more refreshing.

Comment

fur in eyes

I find that I will find fur bits in the corners of my eyes after a heavy day of grooming. It's kind of gross so I think it's very important to clean your eyes as soon as you can after grooming.

Comment

Lowes.clear get some wear them faithfully

I had elective Lasik eye surgery in 1999 to correct astigmatism and far-sitedness. Right so bad did in two stages. I was diligent about drops for infection and steroid or whatever tey were. Told them my profesion..said were pro glasses. Ones from Lowes. Stopped after reasonable time of healing. Have had soap drop fly into eye..so far so good. Usually rub corners...not agross lids. Cockers reallly get my eys itching. Hardest part of healing was the itching and no rub instructions. No glasses..see 20/25L ,20/35 or lil less R. won't press my luck for inhansements. Use drops wWith goggles and earphones...I was quite scary-looking w ithout preserves in them.You know you need take care of your eyes,etc.

Comment

If any of the dogs you come in contact with have "pink eye"/"conjunctivitis", it is contagious and can be spread from the animal to yourself. It happened to me a few times when I worked at a puppy store..sometimes the puppies would come down with it and spread it around.

Comment

Ugh! Something else to worry about. I've never heard of anyone getting an eye infection following grooming a dog. I really hope this is something I never have to deal with.

Have the safety glasses helped reduce your eye infections?
                          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I got pink eye from a dog when I use to be a vet tech. The dog had an eye infection and I guess I wiped my eye before I washed my hands after the dog left the vet. It was horrible but the doctor said I got it from the dog. So now I don't touch my face until after I have washed my hands when grooming a dog.

Comment

eyes

I know this sounds weird, but I wear mascara to help. I used to always get eye irriatations from hair particles getting in my eyes, I was instructed to wear mascara. The mascara will help catch the hair before it gets in your eyes (yes, the hair will stick to it but I just wash my eyes at the end of the day and take the mascara off. I use Precriptives brand you can find it at any large department store).

Comment

Working...
                              X