X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Customer comes in and asks "I want my dog shaved short"
    Me: pulling out our shave chart "Ok, which one would you like us to do?"
    Customer pointing to a 5F "Oh my god, I don't want him shaved just cut him short I said"
    Me : Picking up the pet and asking how much hair they want left
    Customer pretty much picks out a 5 blade
    Customer picks up fluffy and tells me its too short
    Sombody? Anybody? Is it just me??

pictures can be deceiving..if they thought a 5 was toooo short..I would've gone with a 1 comb most likely..sometimes its just a guessing game, but the client would be happier if its longer than she wanted opposed to being too short. We can always take more off, we can't put it back on! lol

Comment

Short,,,

Sometimes, most times our short and their short are two different things. Our favorite short may be a #7f AO and their idea may be 2" left AO,,we just hae to be mind readers.Good luck, this is only the beginning for you if this is the first time this has happened to you. Remember you can always cut more off but it's hard as heck to super glue it back on,,Liz

Comment

It's how much you leave, not how much you cut off

Yes that is soooo frustrating. I use my fingers and say half an inch, threefourths, or hold up the dogs coat see there is 4 inches at the longest. So you want half off? That will leave 2 inches but it will cost more as I will have to hand scissor the coat and that takes more time so I will need to charge more. I all ways speak in terms of how much will be left and show them. Yes they still don't always understand but some just don't understand no matter what. The last time this wonderful Standard pup was in he was kinda waddy. I sent a poodle comb home with the owner and told her if you can't get it through at home I can't either. He will be very short next time if he is this waddy. She will have to get it or I will not do it.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I HATE a shaving chart(all the little strips of fake fur). A #5 on a thin bich looks Way different than a #5 on a Ckr. I have seen so many groomer use them regardless of breed and then blame the owner for not liking the length (not that is what you are doing. I have just seen it happen) Our average owner is not going to look at a chart like that and say i like this length but fluffy is thin coated so go a few lengths longer so it looks like this.

Try finding discriptions. Short with a little fluff 4 or 3 3/4. Short and smooth #7 or a #5. With any first cut with a client in the consultation I'll usually say somthing along the lines of "I think this will be a good length to match what you want but if its not let me know and next time we can go longer or shorter."

Comment

I must be in the dark ages, I have never seen a shaving chart. How neat!

Comment

I had a lady bring in her yorkie, told me she wanted the dog shaved to 1/4" all over. I told her that was awfully short, pulled out a measuring tape and showed her 1/4". She said yes, that is what she wants. I do the groom, her son picks up the dog, so I didn't get to talk to the woman. A few months later I get a call from a friend of mine who is a groomer in the next town over. The woman came to her and told her "that other groomer shaved her way too short"! What the he**! I even showed her how short that was. Sometimes you just can't win.
              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I always say " Do you want your dog to have a marines buzz cut (7 or 10) or just half of what it has now"...the general response usually is.."I don't want her THAT short, just trim her "

Comment

Short...has a lot of meanings...If a client walk in and asks for "short" ...my first response is..."Short and fluffy or short and smooth?"...If they want short and fluffy...they get a #2 or a (skinned). I just don't have the clients that want that kind of a "short". I found this works pretty well for the client... short and fluffy = use a snap on comb, even a short one. Smooth usually translated to a blade of some sort.

Just the way it seems to work for my clients.

Comment

I love it when someone comes in and says shave him short, and I'm buzzing someone down with a 7 at the time. I can hold the dog up and say as short as this? Some say exactly!, others say OMG no!, I don't want him THAT short!,lol.

Comment

I just did a confusing client too. She has a chow mixed keeshond looking dog. She said the last place just blended him all over, they didn't take any hair off, he wasn't short enough but she tells me she has pictures of what she wants him to look like. So when I get there she shows me a picture of a dog that is left natural the pictured dog had NO-Haircut. So I can see where the other groomer was confused. SO I ask her can I give your dog a #4 on his body but scissor his mane and leg feathers, I think this is what you want. It will leave some hair on his body about 3/4 an inch but it will still look like his "breed". He will have a good cut for the summer but he won't be bald. She ok'd it and she loved it, tipped and everything.

Comment

marine buzz cut I wil have to remember that one.

Comment

notebooks

On my counter are notebooks.
                          One is a collection by breed of different clips I have done, and what blade I used. Its easy to do this if you take photos of your grooms.
                          They are also great if you forget to jot it down on their card.
                          Print them on just ordinary printer paper, hole punch them, and stick them
                          in there.
                          I also pull photos off the net, and copy them so they can point at a photo
                          by breed and say. Thats what I want! I always tell them I will come as close as I can. This helps SO much you would not believe it.
                          If I see a cute photo of any breed and I know thats one I haven't got in my client base yet, but I know one is lurking out there in "someday soon land"
                          I get these done when it is slow.
                          I had a client mention she has a cat that she will do "one of these days"
                          I allready have a page just for her to choose from.

Comment

Most people walk in and say as short as possible, I say ok, I can take it down to peach fuzz...most go, NOT THAT SHORT!
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

One dog in a #5 is not the same as another dog in a #5. Some dog's have hair that stands up, and some that lays down, and to me that is where people have a hard time. When the hair lays down flat, it looks smooth and SHORT, whereas when it stands up, it looks fuzzy.

Regardless, you did your part, what can she say? Stand the hair up with a ruler next to it and then see what she says, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X